Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 12:05 PM

51,378 posts, read 37,068,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My understanding is that if he keeps up the mortgage payments no harm should come. I can't advise on specifics.
Oh really? I hope that is the case!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Oh boy, I can empathize. In our state, without a will, the children of the spouse can try to get 1/2 of everything, even adult children.

My husband has a will, which has been looked at in the state's we've lived. (He was married before w/ kids). It's good to go as long as it was executed properly in the state it was made out, which it was. Without a will, nightmare.

To the OP, a lot of people wouldn't want to write their family's eulogy. I think family issues are pretty prevalent w/ a lot of people.
Thanks that makes me feel better! I start to think everyone had perfect families except me.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,423,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Oh boy, I can empathize. In our state, without a will, the children of the spouse can try to get 1/2 of everything, even adult children.

My husband has a will, too. (He was married before w/ kids). It's good to go. Without a will, nightmare.

To the OP, a lot of people wouldn't want to write their family's eulogy. I think family issues are pretty prevalent w/ a lot of people.
You know, here's the really crazy thing. I was already either the co owner or beneficiary of basically all our accounts, assets, etc. so his son probably got more WITH the will than he would have without it!

Note that it's not the son who said this, by the way, it's his mother. I mean, the son is nearly 30.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:32 AM

33,050 posts, read 36,688,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thanks that makes me feel better! I start to think everyone had perfect families except me.
Far, far from it.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:33 AM

23,940 posts, read 33,819,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's messed up that they ignored her wishes! Stating your wishes should not require a lawyer.

Re: the bolded, that is a big worry of mine. The house is only in my name because he has credit issues. His financial situation is also the reason we aren't married yet...one of us needs good credit, and if we are married we will be less likely to be approved for credit because his score will bring us down. I am very concerned with how to make sure the house stays his but even more so I worry all the time that he won't know how to handle paying the bills. He has severe ADD and horrible organizational skills, He's not going to be able to keep track of everything. I feel like he will need some type of financial guardian, but I don't really know how that would work. That's one of the reasons I have been procrastinating the will, I really don't know how to make sure he will be okay in regard to money. I try to teach him how I do the bills and keep track of things but he just doesn't have the ability.

I wish it were different, I would like his last name, and at 59 I have never been married. Aside from the fact that despite his flaws, he is truly a wonderful, good-hearted man who treats me well. When he had an unexpected day off a few days before my mom died, he went to her ALF, unasked, while I was at work, and sat with her for hours even though he only met her a handful of times. Because he knew I felt guilty that she was alone while I was at work.

He sounds like he has a lot of really good qualities, plus he's a hard worker. Some people just aren't cut out to do things like pay bills.

You can always do a ceremony where you get the dress and everything, it just won't be legal. You can exchange rings. You can also go to the court house to legally change your last name to his, you just won't be legally married.

I don't know many attorneys here but have used the one on the pike by my Walmart. It's on the Wells Fargo side of the pike between Lowes and Wawa. I've used them before for something else. I have a realtor friend that's used them for a lot of stuff, I also see them recommended on next door if you do need an attorney.

You can leave him the house, he could sell it and try to buy another but Unfortunately his ex will try to go after him for support. I don't think she could put claim on money he gets from the house or stop the sale because the house is not in his name.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
He sounds like he has a lot of really good qualities, plus he's a hard worker. Some people just aren't cut out to do things like pay bills.

You can always do a ceremony where you get the dress and everything, it just won't be legal. You can exchange rings. You can also go to the court house to legally change your last name to his, you just won't be legally married.

I don't know many attorneys here but have used the one on the pike by my Walmart. It's on the Wells Fargo side of the pike between Lowes and Wawa. I've used them before for something else. I have a realtor friend that's used them for a lot of stuff, I also see them recommended on next door if you do need an attorney.

You can leave him the house, he could sell it and try to buy another but Unfortunately his ex will try to go after him for support. I don't think she could put claim on money he gets from the house or stop the sale because the house is not in his name.
I didn't know that was an option! I had thought about the ceremony before, I really think that would be nice. I also didn't realize he could sell it if I left it to him without it being in his name.

Guess I need to talk to a lawyer and/or do some research. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2021, 08:32 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,181,973 times
This thread is a bit depressing.

It makes me realize that if I died at age 30, I'd have had a short life, but have had MANY people at my funeral.

But if I die at age 70 at this rate, that number could easily be zero.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
This thread is a bit depressing.

It makes me realize that if I died at age 30, I'd have had a short life, but have had MANY people at my funeral.

But if I die at age 70 at this rate, that number could easily be zero.
Yes, I feel like that too. At the age where everyone will drop off, one by one. Elderly people like my mom dying doesn't get to me as much as now friends near my own age who have died in the past couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning