Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 11:46 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

Keep the color on the door. It's perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 12:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Keep the color on the door. It's perfect.
Thank you - I think I really, really like it. And the more I look at it, the more I like it. I didn't want it to look GREEN, but I didn't want it to look Caribbean blue or a cool blue either. I wanted a warm, but deep rich blue, and that's harder to accomplish than I thought!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:58 PM

EMBRACE THE BRASS!

As I've mentioned several times on the forum, my husband and I decided that we would revel in the brass in our 16 year old home, rather than be slaves to fashion and replace it just because HGTV says it's a dated look. Once we got the HGTV voices out of our heads, we realized that the polished brass fixtures match the style of our home, so we've begun updates where needed - in polished brass.

For instance, the front door - we both actually really liked the glass in the door, but the brass hardware was worn and tarnished and the door was a plain white. Here are the before and after pictures:

Front of house before we closed on it:

Now:

Blech:

BAM!

Yuck:

Yeehaw!

Old 07-25-2014, 03:29 PM

The color -- peacock blue? -- really pops against the siding. My house is dark green with white trim and a tomato red door, also with leaded glass inset. The best thing we ever did was paint the inside of the door the same red, which is my favorite color. We have lots of red interior accents, and the door sets the tone before you even enter the house. The interior walls are beige, so the door really stands out, and it makes me smile every time I see it.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
The color -- peacock blue? -- really pops against the siding. My house is dark green with white trim and a tomato red door, also with leaded glass inset. The best thing we ever did was paint the inside of the door the same red, which is my favorite color. We have lots of red interior accents, and the door sets the tone before you even enter the house. The interior walls are beige, so the door really stands out, and it makes me smile every time I see it.
I am thinking of painting the interior of the front door a rich brick red. In fact, all three doors leading to outside because that color is also throughout my house. I'm going to paint the exterior of the other two doors this color (peacock blue) as well.

But before I paint the interior of the doors, I need to choose the color for the accent walls in my dining room and adjacent office, and then at the top of the stairs. It will be some sort of camel/caramel/rich toasty color, so as soon as I nail that down, I'll probably paint the inside doors leading to outside red.

Actually, the only other doors in the house are the door to the master bedroom and the bathroom doors inside that area (and it's around a corner, so you can't see it from the main part of the house) and the doors upstairs, which you also can't see from the main living areas. So I think three deep brick red accent doors would be awesome (one in the kitchen, one in the laundry room, and one on the front door, which leads to the foyer, dining and office areas). All the rest of the doorways are open arches.

Hmmmmm.....

Old 07-25-2014, 04:22 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Love the color of the door.

Cat

Old 07-25-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Love the color of the door.

Thank you, Cat!

I tried so hard to talk myself into being very sophisticated, with a glossy black door and two elegant planters on either side of it...but I just couldn't go there. I'm such a sucker for rich color.

I think the two big topiary sort of trees are definitely coming down, though. They have a short reprieve because there are baby birds in them - baby mockingbirds at that! But as soon as they leave the nest - chop chop!

Old 07-25-2014, 04:40 PM

Yes, the topiary shrubs need to go. They're much to big for the space at this point. But the door is perfection. Don't you dare paint it black! And I love the light fixture.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, the topiary shrubs need to go. They're much to big for the space at this point. But the door is perfection. Don't you dare paint it black! And I love the light fixture.
Oh I am NOT painting it black! I promise! And thanks on the light fixture by the way!

Old 07-26-2014, 05:30 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you - I think I really, really like it. And the more I look at it, the more I like it. I didn't want it to look GREEN, but I didn't want it to look Caribbean blue or a cool blue either. I wanted a warm, but deep rich blue, and that's harder to accomplish than I thought!
Love the door color and the light fixture. Its a shame to lose the screen door, but alas it must be done.
I would love to have a screen door on the front door, but it just won't look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating