Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 11:00 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,704 times

Advertisements

Here's the bed skirt that I just finished. I still have to make the drapes and shop for a coverlet.

The bed skirt that I made earlier:

I learned a valuable lesson on the first one...think about vertical and horizontal repeat when choosing fabric. I had to have a heck of a lot more fabric for number one than number two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 11:25 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
My blue velvet couch gave me such heartburn and I couldn't figure out what to do with it. Instead of trying to make it work in our family room, I gave up and redid our library/office as a formal living room (bought a leather couch for the family room). This room was red - dark red - with a desk, piano and kind of a mishmash of stuff. Gave the piano away on Craigslist, moved the desk to my daughter's playroom/hangout room, and painted it white. Simple White by SW. My parents gave me their custom driftwood table they had made back when they first got married in the 50s, added a seagrass rug, and some photos I took with simple black frames. Still needs a bit of tweaking but all in all, I'm happy with it. Only a million other rooms to go - oh and new wood floors but that will be last. I'm tired even thinking about it.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:56 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
My blue velvet couch gave me such heartburn and I couldn't figure out what to do with it. Instead of trying to make it work in our family room, I gave up and redid our library/office as a formal living room (bought a leather couch for the family room). This room was red - dark red - with a desk, piano and kind of a mishmash of stuff. Gave the piano away on Craigslist, moved the desk to my daughter's playroom/hangout room, and painted it white. Simple White by SW. My parents gave me their custom driftwood table they had made back when they first got married in the 50s, added a seagrass rug, and some photos I took with simple black frames. Still needs a bit of tweaking but all in all, I'm happy with it. Only a million other rooms to go - oh and new wood floors but that will be last. I'm tired even thinking about it.
It looks good. Where did you get your drapes?
I love the coffee table.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:11 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It looks good. Where did you get your drapes?
I love the coffee table.
Drapes are from World Market. I've always loved that coffee table too. It was the first piece of real furniture my parents owned. Kind of love that it's in my house now giving it another generation's worth of use. I'm on the hunt for some nice mounted antlers - preferably elk- and a large arced floor lamp to finish that wall. I'll find it eventually but in the meantime, it's a good enough for now thing.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I love that blue velvet sofa. I am very jealous of it.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
Here's the bed skirt that I just finished. I still have to make the drapes and shop for a coverlet.

The bed skirt that I made earlier:

I learned a valuable lesson on the first one...think about vertical and horizontal repeat when choosing fabric. I had to have a heck of a lot more fabric for number one than number two.
Good job!

I ordered my fabric for the bedroom wall and curtains today. I am wondering how much extra fabric I will need to drop match the fabric on the wall, but I figure I'll use up any waste on throw pillows or something. It was way more expensive than I hoped, but still way cheaper than wallpaper. I can't wait to get started. I'm hungry for a sewing project.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:02 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,640,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I love the look of bead board or wood panels on the ceiling. We are planning to do that in our living room and dining room at some point in the near future. We will either stain it or paint it white. I think it adds a nice detail to a room. We did it in a bathroom in an old house and I loved how it turned out.

Maybe this is the solution to my pop-corn ceilings. I've heard that even if you have a professional remove the pop-corn, the ceiling never looks quite right. Plus the mess of course. I once saw a room in a magazine with the ceiling beadboard painted a pale aqua, and it was really pretty!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Maybe this is the solution to my pop-corn ceilings. I've heard that even if you have a professional remove the pop-corn, the ceiling never looks quite right. Plus the mess of course. I once saw a room in a magazine with the ceiling beadboard painted a pale aqua, and it was really pretty!
I really love how ours came out and will definitely do the same treatment on our other bathroom. I can tell you though, that a large room would be a big undertaking. For example, our ceiling area was under 8', so it did not require piecing. We used the real 3" wooden bead board, but I suppose if you are painting it, you could get way with the bead board paneling to span a larger area quicker. I'm sort of a purist when it comes to materials, so if I couldn't do the real bead board, I would probably not do it.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
I am STILL unpacking and unpacking. Man, we have a lot of crap!

Cat

Old 07-07-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I am STILL unpacking and unpacking. Man, we have a lot of crap!

Cat
Baby steps, Catwoman. You have your whole life to organize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating