Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 04:39 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Well, just checked prices and the composite material would likely cost 3 times as much, and given how many other projects I'd like to get done, that's way out of my budget.

I am never barefoot outside (and very rarely in my house!) and I suspect I won't mind the staining and sealing every few years since I like puttering around the house. The wood will have been treated for insect control. Splintering, well, probably no way around that.

Thanks for both replies!
I go barefoot outside often, so I love my composite deck. I usually stubbed a toe or smacked my heel on a nail at least once a week on my old deck. No longer have that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 04:40 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Wood.
Specifically, ipé.
Linseed oil is fine for a stain.
I used to be Cabot’s stain fan, but they have gone water-based because of VOC rules.
Ipé? Hahahaha. Yeah if you have a LOT of money to spend.

Old 04-19-2024, 03:33 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,665,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Easy. NO maintenance. I was tired of staining my old deck and the wood was starting to rot in a few places.
My composite deck stays clean all by itself. I love it.

Depends on where you live I suppose. I've seen plenty of composite decks up here with mildew and moss.

I rebuilt our deck about 10 years ago and went with tigerwood. It's a tropical hardwood like Ipe but not quite as hard or expensive (still not cheap). It takes some annual work to maintain the brown and striations markings visible. Last few years I've just let it go grey which doesn't hurt it.
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of wood for wood deck/porch decking?-deck.jpg   What kind of wood for wood deck/porch decking?-deck-2.jpg  

Old 04-19-2024, 03:37 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
All this wood is beautiful. But, in the PNW I think I will stick with my aggregate concrete with virtually no maintenance. I have hardwood floors inside the house. Not a big deal to throw on sandals when I go outside and I do not need to walk barefoot on a deck or spend every summer refinishing one. My sister did that with an absolute enormous deck in Colorado (in her 60's). It was almost the length of the entire house and a second story deck over a walk out basement.

Old 04-19-2024, 04:30 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Yep!
Thompson's is crap- and that so called warranty/guarantee ain't worth the paper... uh, I mean can it's written on!!!

I've been spec'ing TWP for over 20yrs- haven't found anything better!
so you do NOT recommend Thompson Water Sealer? What is TWP?

Old 04-19-2024, 05:58 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,665,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
All this wood is beautiful. But, in the PNW I think I will stick with my aggregate concrete with virtually no maintenance. I have hardwood floors inside the house. Not a big deal to throw on sandals when I go outside and I do not need to walk barefoot on a deck or spend every summer refinishing one. My sister did that with an absolute enormous deck in Colorado (in her 60's). It was almost the length of the entire house and a second story deck over a walk out basement.

So, is this concrete deck up off the ground? The reason we have a deck and not a patio is that the ground is sloped and a concrete or paver patio just won't work without a fair degree of earth moving. And, we like wood.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:56 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
So, is this concrete deck up off the ground? The reason we have a deck and not a patio is that the ground is sloped and a concrete or paver patio just won't work without a fair degree of earth moving. And, we like wood.
I have quite a slope going from the front to the back and one side to the other. It's not a cliff. I had a giant stair done (two steps). It's the full length of the sliding glass door. I keep planters on one side. Our street is on a very significant slope and many houses backyards are built on a significantly high retaining wall (which our HOA has insurance on).

My 15 x 12 patio has planters built on two sides (so that we do not fall off the edges). From the house to the low point in the back yard is probably 6-8 feet. Like I said, not a cliff; but, not a level yard. I'm not sure I would want a level yard here because of the amount of rain we get. I have severe settling issues with the house. I have had a lot of foundation repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House