Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:38 PM

14 posts, read 71,294 times

Advertisements

Well I live in West Lafayette and there is not a very high hispanic population here but if you go towards Lafayette there is a much higher hispanic population particulary in the east and near southside, and I'm not aware of any racism here to toward the latinos. There are several mexican stores and restraunts around town, If you attend church I know that they have a spanish session at the St. Boniface church near downtown, but if you would feel more comfortable I would stay in Lafayette.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 PM

34 posts, read 45,992 times
There are plenty of towns in Indiana (hello seymour!) with a large hispanic population....you might be comfortable living there??

Old 12-04-2007, 12:23 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
seems to me that most places want people moving in who are hard working,civic minded and law abiding. They dont really care about ethnicity. I am a white man and i would rather have a hard working, law abiding minority of ANY skin color living next to me than a lazy, alcoholic,white skinned bum who wont mow his lawn or take his trash out! know what I mean?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:23 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
seems to me that most places want people moving in who are hard working,civic minded and law abiding. They dont really care about ethnicity. I am a white man and i would rather have a hard working, law abiding minority of ANY skin color living next to me than a lazy, alcoholic,white skinned bum who wont mow his lawn or take his trash out! know what I mean?
Bravo, Lt. Dan.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:10 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,516 times
Well said, Lt. Dan.

I'm white, but I don't really care about the skin color of my neighbors. Be friendly and kind, and may the same be returned to you. Good luck!

Old 12-06-2007, 08:29 AM

13 posts, read 163,939 times
I live in Kokomo and i work in Lafayette.

I don't suggest ANYONE move to Kokomo. This place just plain sucks for anyone with 1/2 a brain. If your a crack smoking, NASCAR loving hillbilly, with a big fat mouth, then Kokomo may just be the place for you!

As for the racism in Kokomo towards "Mexicans", it's pretty biased. This town is basically Blue Collar, Pro-union kinda place where people are narrow minded and stubborn as hell.

Most of the mexicans i see here appear to be "poor". They are usually working at McDonalds, Construction or shopping at Wally World when i seem to see them.

I think it would be safe to say that the typical white person in Kokomo doesn't like the mexicans. Want to prove it? Go to any of the craptastic bars here and start talking about all the Wet tbacks and see how many people join your conversation. You'll be supprised.

As for Lafayette, I work with a few lazy Mexicans, and a few that actually work decently. This is supprising since i work in a union shop as well, where many of us don't exactly bust our butts for a decent paycheck. You'll commonly hear "Wet tbacks" or "Mex-i-cant", etc etc. In a few of the bathrooms you'll see a few things written on the walls about Mexicans, and the blacks too for that matter.

Compaired to the whites, there aren't many Mexicans or any other races for that matter where i work. To be honest, I don't really mind that either. Who would want to be the center of negitive attention based solely on your skin tone? I'll pass.

Lafayette has a much stronger mexican population compaired to Kokomo. This may be due to the fact the Hog slaughter houses are closer to Lafayette than Kokomo.

Logansport, Delphi and Flora all seem to have alot of Mexicans. Again, these towns have or are near Hog slaughter houses. Walk into IBP (Tyson Foods) in Logansport and you'll feel like your in Mexico. I know i did when i went for a office job there.

I wont even get started on my feeling about "Mexicans". I could really give a $h!t. I have enough problems of my own to worry about. It is funny, yet interesting to me though watching the influx of Mexicans.

I don't think you'll find any town in Indiana that greets MExicans with "open arms" and embraces them. Thats just not how people here are.

I will be easier to "Fit in" in a city that has a higher Mexican population though.

It's really up to you. Do you "fit in" and just put on the fake for everyone, or do you be yourself, and deal with adversity as it comes?

If you work hard, pay taxes, and just be a decent citizen, who the hell can complain? If they do, you can still tell them there are more whites on Welfare than ANY other race.

I've noticed well educated, and i don't mean those with pieces of paper from some college, who are polite, usually don't have many problems when interacting with other races.

If you choose to fit the stereotypical mold of a "Mexican", then sure, you'll catch just as much flack as the rest of them.

I say go live life as an American and forget about if your Mexican, white, black, Asian, Indian, Chinese, blah blah blah. We are all human's regardless. If you let racism bother you, then you simply open the door for people to comment on it. If you close the door, then you generally shut their mouths too!

Racisim is ignorance. Prove me wrong.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:11 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
what a great word ... craptastic ... I'll put that in my mental vault for future usage.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:56 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,342,908 times
Default An Everyday Thing

from local paper... this is just a very short list of what you will see here. <feel free to insert local newspaper website>

Many people come to America for a better life.. many went thru the legal proccess and are very good LAW abiding citzens. many are not. Two of our friends have been hit by mexican illegals, no license, no insurance, and false id's. Guess who paid for repairs of cars? First thing they do is hightail it back to mexico. A true legal LAW abiding citizen would have taken responsibility just like MOST other Americans. I DO NOT have an issue with LEGAL mexicans AT ALL, so PLEASE do not misunderstand. I do however have issues with illegals, who like are living down the street, 13 in a 2bed 1bath, junk smashed up car in back yard, trash all over. You would think with that many living in 1 tiny home they could at least mow the yard. We have a large influx of mexicans that have moved into our small town over the last few years. Sorry but i do have to worry about my property value dropping because of what the surrounding neighborhoods are starting to look like. Sorry, but you do NOT have to be poor OR rich to have a CLEAN yard! Sorry, but MOST of the homes that are occupied by what people are now calling little mexico in our small town, are yards filled with junk and trash. Seeing is believing, check forselves. An illegal mexican just recently kidnapped and murdered a 4 year old. An illegal just recenty was caught running a lot of dope thru the area. An illegal recenty was charged raping a 12 year old. We have enough Americans doing these bad things.

Last edited by domergurl; 12-12-2007 at 07:57 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 05:21 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,342,908 times
Default Illegal Goes Free!

The prosecutor of Jackson County has allowed an illegal alien from Mexico who is 27 years old to be deported rather than be prosecuted after he molested a 14-year-old girl and impregnated her.
Should this criminal have been deported or should the prosecutor have done his job and sent the criminal to prison?
Now the grandparents of the 14-year-old are being saddled with the cost of the pregnancy and the cost of raising the child.
The grandparents are at a loss of words when it comes to why wasn’t this illegal prosecuted.

Last edited by domergurl; 12-12-2007 at 07:57 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 07:56 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Just to be fair Arizona ... the lists you are providing may not necessarily be illegal immigrants nor only from Mexico. I understand how you are frustrated, but you're venom may be misdirected. I edited the people's names. The issues presented here should be aimed toward your locally elected officials and the police department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana