Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 11,660 times

Advertisements

Is there a significant amount of racism towards Hispanics in West Lafayette, Kokomo or any other cities in Indiana?

The reason for that is that I plan to move there, and I'm Hispanic. And I'm sure there's bound to be racism, as there is in every state, but I'm curious to know if it's at a highly noticeable level. I don't want to move into an area where I'll bump into problems...

Thanks,

Old 11-21-2007, 05:09 AM

413 posts, read 1,846,664 times
Hi! I live in Elkhart Indiana. We are the RV production capital of America, if not the world. Needless to say we are a labor oriented town. This kind of manual labor does not require a college degree which opens up jobs for all types of non-educated workers (myself included). Our Hispanic population has risen in the past 10 years to heights that have alot of people here becoming racist, if they weren't already. They feel the Hispanics are taking their jobs. The fat-cat factory owners will almost always hire them over us. Why? Cheaper pay and they don't seem to complain as much as us white folk.
I don't have any problem with them or any race, however, it is well proved that many of them don't keep their kids under control in public and to be quite honest that's when my own predjudice starts to slip out. I think we all have some sort of "racism" inside us whether we admit it or not. That's not to say it's right though.
To answer your question... yes you will find some towns to not be very welcoming to Hispanics, or Blacks. I would move to a larger city like Indy or Fort Wayne, but in Elkhart you wouldn't have much of a problem seeing as half this town is Hispanic. BUT, this town sucks. Good Luck!

Last edited by domergurl; 11-21-2007 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: Please tell us how it is well proven ...

Old 11-21-2007, 08:57 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,838,149 times
You must understand why people may not be accepting to "hispanics" in this day and time.

First of all, let's be clear about the term "Hispanic". The term is supposed to mean someone of Spanish descent, namely someone whose ancestors came from Spain. However, today, it has been relegated to anyone whose primary language is Spanish, or someone whose immediate past relates to someone who speaks Spanish. Yet, even this picture isn't complete, for the word now is be subjegated with the idea of race, and that being the Mestizo. While the Mestizo is a mix of Spaniard and Indian blood, most people now think of "Hispanics" as Mestizos who speak Spanish, or better yet, maybe never speak Spanish but are Mestizo.

So, in today's lexicon, contrary to the actual meaning of the term, Hispanic=Mestizo.

Now, clearing this up, are you a Mestizo, or a genuine Spanish-descended person?

Getting to the issues of today, I highly doubt that you're going to find many areas outside of the immediate border areas, or invaded/taken-over areas who are going to be giddy that you're looking to relocate in their hometown. Why? Well, you see, our federal government fails to enforce immigration policy and the borders, and so we have millions of your people overflowing our borders, taking jobs, decreasing wages, graffiting up the buildings, and destroying neighborhoods. As such, people are going to be weary. Furthermore, a few "Hispanics" in an area usually means many more are on their way, and it won't be long before the "community" of their neighborhood is destroyed. This includes the cultural and genetic/racial solidarity cohesion of the community, which is important in a social context of living situations.

My best advice: If you're illegal, go back home. If you're legal, find an area that is already overwhelmingly "hispanic".

Last edited by domergurl; 11-21-2007 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Strong words ... are you sure about that?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:24 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,761,834 times
Ok good people of the Indiana "office". Please, let's try to keep the generalizations and pseudo racist commentary at nil. We all know where these statements lead and while I don't wish to quash free speech, I also have to do my best to keep things civil.

ok?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:38 AM

751 posts, read 1,180,485 times
Quote:
You must understand why people may not be accepting to "hispanics" in this day and time.
This is by far, the most ignorant comment I have ever read on any board here at City-Data. The term "Hispanic" was a term coined by the U.S Government, it is the most idiotic term I have ever heard. Nobody seems to agree on what a "Hispanic" is. Is a person of German heritage born in Mexico, Hispanic? How about chldren of Lebanese and Syrians that immigrated to South America, are they Hispanic?? How about Brazilians and Portuguese, are they Hispanic?(Their language is Portuguese). How about the Dutch speaking people of Suriname(South America), are they Hispanic?? The idea that Hispanic people are either Spaniards or Mestizos is beyond ignorant. Look at Alberto Fujimori, former president of Peru, Peruvian of Japanese descent, is he Hispanic?? Anyways, the worst part of this comment was the "if you are illegal..do this, if you are legal, do this"..This person could be third generation US-born and this stupid person is wondering if he is legal or illegal. What if he is totally americanized and does not want to live among immigrants, and you told him to live in an predominantly Hispanic area?! For the OP, don't let ignorant comments like this give you a negative impression of Indiana and its people.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Pefect reason to close this thread ... pending deletion.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:46 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,312,487 times
In my area and where I work, I see Latinos. If appearances matter, they appear comfortable in this environment and are content in their surroundings. I'm about 50 miles outside Kokomo. I am uncertain about Latino communities, heritage supports, or even food outlets that would encourage immediate immersion, but anyone seeking to survive will adapt. I hope this provides some encouragement and I wish you well in your search.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 11,660 times
Thanks for the info Kin Atoms.

And here's my response to Scraper Enthusiast

Well you can define Hispanics as you wish. Anyway, despite the fact that your reply was ignorant it's also constructive as it shows me why you don't like "Hispanics." And perhaps I can change your mind, or at least give you another perspective on the issue.

While it's true that many illegal immigrants are indeed Hispanic, they don't come here with the intention of screwing anyone else over. Most of them come here illegally due to them desperately needing money, and a way to improve their lives as most Hispanic countries have gone downhill. The poverty and crime there is unbearable. And while you will probably say "too bad." The Irish, who are WHITE, came here as well during the potato famine when they were starving over there in hopes of a better future. And most of the time these illegal immigrants take crappy jobs. Do you want to work at McDonalds, wipe the floor, or work at a place where you make minimum wage or even less? Of course not, neither do I nor does anyone else that is educated.

And to the person that said that most Hispanics can't handle their children, some of them can't. But the same goes for all races. I know "white" kids that use drugs because their parents don't pay much attention to them, and their parents are unaware of what their child does. And why? Because the kid's mother works long hours, the same goes for most Hispanic parents, or parent of ANY race that works a lot, they don't dedicate enough time to their children and they run off and do bad things. And there are also people that are just plain not suitable to be parents. They lack the ability to raise a child...

It DOES NOT have to do with race. But back to the subject, thanks for everyones input. Even Scraper Enthusiast...now I have an idea of how certain individuals think like

Old 11-23-2007, 05:51 AM

Soccerfan ... comparing the illegal immigrants of today to those who came here from Ireland is off. They came here legally, through the Ellis Island immigration office and were documented, unlike the many who are here illegally. As a student of American (and other continental) history, I get a little unnerved when some use the European experience as a justification to the illegal immigrant situation of today. As long as there is a fullofholes shared border (the Irish couldn't exactly swim here) and there are employers willing to exploit the people who are willing to work for the wages the exploitative employers are willing to pay, well, this will continue to go on and on and on.

As the daughter of an immigrant who lived and worked here legally (always reporting to the immigration office when she needed to .. one of my childhood memories) until she became a citizen over 10 years ago, I have a real hard time wondering why someone would knowingly break our laws. Whats the argument for not getting documented?

As for Indiana, Lafayette and Kokomo are blue collar areas, Kokomo moreso than Lafayette. I think that since there are already hispanic populations there, it will be fine.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:43 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,490,599 times
I think a better question is whether the community seems welcoming to anyone that is different. Whether race, income, educational level, etc. Most of the statements that have been made would apply to any situation where the person felt somehow marginalized by someone else or their group.

The same comments are heard with the same inflections in England about the Asians. In India about the untouchables or minority tribes.

I have found that most people are quite interesting and want a better life for their families. Most work hard and keep their heads down whether legal or illegal. Their work ethic is to be commended.

I live in Indy so cannot comment on other towns but have listened to friends from smaller communities and it is somehow easier to form a "group" negative mentality when in a smaller community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana