Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:55 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times

Advertisements

This thread is veering over to the politics and other controversies arena ... if we want to keep it here, keep it to Indiana please.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 AM

293 posts, read 245,887 times
[quote=domergurl;2069314]

As the daughter of an immigrant who lived and worked here legally (always reporting to the immigration office when she needed to .. one of my childhood memories) until she became a citizen over 10 years ago, I have a real hard time wondering why someone would knowingly break our laws. Whats the argument for not getting documented?

The reason is very simple, nowadays is very hard to get your immigration papers in order, especially for non-qualified immigrants.

Most of the immigrants that come to the U.S. illegally need money right away and if they want to come here legally they would need to wait years and years outside the country before they can enter the U.S if they ever get permission from the authorities.

The ones that are already here illegally are aware that if they go to an immigration office looking for a residence card or any document that can allow them to stay they will most likely be subject to deportation.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:51 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
[quote=CRAROD;2576519]
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

As the daughter of an immigrant who lived and worked here legally (always reporting to the immigration office when she needed to .. one of my childhood memories) until she became a citizen over 10 years ago, I have a real hard time wondering why someone would knowingly break our laws. Whats the argument for not getting documented?

The reason is very simple, nowadays is very hard to get your immigration papers in order, especially for non-qualified immigrants.

Most of the immigrants that come to the U.S. illegally need money right away and if they want to come here legally they would need to wait years and years outside the country before they can enter the U.S if they ever get permission from the authorities.

The ones that are already here illegally are aware that if they go to an immigration office looking for a residence card or any document that can allow them to stay they will most likely be subject to deportation.
I see your point completely, but it's still hard to drum up sympathy. Have there been any hard numbers regarding the Indiana situation on this issue?

Old 01-21-2008, 11:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Soccerfan ... comparing the illegal immigrants of today to those who came here from Ireland is off. They came here legally, through the Ellis Island immigration office and were documented, unlike the many who are here illegally.
Until quotas were encacted in the early days of the previous century, most immigrants just up and decided to come here. That is what my family did, on both sides. My DH's family, too. Your family may have come here later, after the quota system was passed, which in and of itself was a racist measure to keep Asians and southern and eastern Europeans out.

Sorry I can't tie this to Indiana, but I think it's relevant.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:43 PM

260 posts, read 1,346,367 times
Quote:
This thread is veering over to the politics and other controversies arena ... if we want to keep it here, keep it to Indiana please.
I think all of this does pertain to Indiana, just as much as it does nationaly. There are several small towns in Indiana that are battling the problems associated with Illegal Immigrants. It's hard to discuss this on a state level with out looking at the "big picture"

Old 01-21-2008, 02:48 PM

[quote=CRAROD;2576519]
Quote:

Agreed. But that does not make it ok to bypass the system just because the system does not work in your favor. I think that when we talk about Immigration Reform, this needs to include looking at the process for people to get here legally as much as tightening security at the borderes to keep people from coming here illegaly in the first place. I'm very much in favor of people coming to this country from where ever, but it has to be done in a way that does not have adverse affects to those of us that are already here. We need to maintain and improve the quality of life tha makes people want to come here in the first place.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,173 times
Default An Answer to your question

SoccerFan, I am not sure that anyone actually answered your question but it is obvious by the rambling that you answered the question yourself. There will always be racism, no matter where you go. It is unfortunate but there will always be people who feel or show animosity towards particular races. I am an employer in the area who chooses to employ legally employable people only and I often find that Hispanics (however you choose to define them) are some of my best employees. This is for many reasons including the one stated above. I do not feel that in this rapidly growing community, there is any excessive amount of racism towards Hispanics.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 14,468 times
The question everyone should be asking is why would any American community want Hispanics considering the fact that Hispanics have totally ruined their own countries and have now set their sights on ours?

Old 02-21-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot Wallace View Post
The question everyone should be asking is why would any American community want Hispanics considering the fact that Hispanics have totally ruined their own countries and have now set their sights on ours?
It's not the citizens that have ruined their country, it's their govt. Most of the illegals that I know and have met are good hard working / family oriented individuals....but that does not excue the fact that they came here illegally

Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 9,385 times
Exclamation Not prejudiced, but....

I loved those mexicans that lived up stairs from me for the last year. They didn't speak or understand English, but I spoke enough Spanish and it was OK. I am in a duplex....upstairs/downstairs. The downstairs mows the front acre, and the upstairs mows the back acre. But we couldn't figure out that part of either language. So I mowed it all. And I picked up all the trash they left lying around after their numerous parties. Family parties! Looked fun. Good people.
The got a sattelite dish hooked up. I tried to ask them to have the line burried, it went all the way to the creek, yes, an acre of land, and they didnt understand. Well, since I have to mow the whole yard, because they 'just dont understand' I accidentally, yes it was an accident, I mowed over the cable line. I went to tell them about it because I felt so bad, and they spoke perfect English then.
I work in a bar, and we open early for the 3rd shift hog plant. We cater for them to have dinner and drinks if they want. The Mexicans come in and have lots of drinks. I have found baggies with cocaine (not too sure) residue and bottles of liquor with mexican labels on them. They have pissed and spit on the floor while playing pool. They have grabbed workers boobs so hard and left bruises....And continued to say that I kicked them out and hated them because they were Mexican. I pretty much told them to f*** off and that they were kicked out because they were disrespectful. But they think I am hating them because they are mexican. I DONT GET IT?!!? The Mexican men make me feel horrible when I walk by them. I am nervous around them because of how they act towards American women.
Tell me how I should not be wary. And why, when the Mexican guy upstairs got caught driving while never receiving a lisence had 4 others move in so they could all get around, and why they only speak English when it behooves them. WHY SHOULD I NOT BE ANGRY????
\And just to top it off, I had a Mexican, Keira Gonzalez, steal my social security number. Now I have to report identity theft every 6 months from the same *****. I can't have a checking account. I have to file bankruptcy.
So, what do you say? I have been broken and ruined by mexicans that are illegal.
But I have to add, that I don't think all are like that. My best friend in High School when I was in Texas, was Mexican, and I loved her and her family. They tried to make an honest living here in the states. So I guess there are bad in every culture. But why the bad part of that specific culture has to take over my town is beyond me. We now have gun fights (mexicans) drug issues (mexicans) 1 murder in I dont know how long, (mexican) grafitti ya know?
I truly think the the mexican culture has no respect for Americans. And they dont care. Why I have to learn how to speak Spanish in my own country is beyond me.
Get me back on this , PLEASE!
I hate thinking and feeling this way, but experience has fueled my thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana