Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:13 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times

Advertisements

No, Nap is right. You openly questioned in your original reply the veracity of my attending Purdue University and by implication my ever residing in the state of Indiana, because I didn't refer to natives as Hoosiers, then you proceeded to mock the term Indianan only to later be reinforced by good folks like Nap that such term is actually of proper use albeit not as common. It says less about me as a transient than it says about you as a " Hoosier"... And that's the beautiful irony of this exchange.

No hard feelings, I just wish the thread hadn't de-railed by such a tangent. I do think as a Hispanic my experience was relevant to the thread and that's the only reason I contributed to it. And I still like you too Now back to the regular programming....

Old 07-26-2008, 12:32 AM

260 posts, read 1,346,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
I don't get why Hoosier is a bad word, unless you attened Purdue. I'll give 'em a break for that one. But Indianan? I, too, almost commented on it the other day, but my post was quite hightened, and I didn't want to go there.

I certainly don't like Indianan, or Indianian. Just the enunciation of the words sound silly. Kentuckian, Texan, they sound normal. Maybe because they've always been called by those names. But Indianan/Indianian sounds like you're trying to hard to make people think you're better than other Hoosiers.

I take great pride in being a Hoosier, but it's because I don't see the word as derogatory, I see the people I grew up around, the beautiful countryside, and the pride in basketball. Yes, even for you Boilermakers.
I was thinking the same thing as far as Texan, Kentuckian, or even Coloradoian & Californian maybe?....but that does not apply to every state...Illinoisian? Marylandian? Maineian? Never heard of an Indianaian myself.....but just to mix it up a bit, I think I'm going to invent a new one myself and take after New Yorkers.....that's right, I am a proud Indianer!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:50 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Not that it matters; but I have been using the word Indianan more often since discovering this thread. The more I use it, the more I like it. It does not seem strange anymore; I think I will keep it.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:40 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Not that it matters; but I have been using the word Indianan more often since discovering this thread. The more I use it, the more I like it. It does not seem strange anymore; I think I will keep it.
That's very cool! Our humble forum is changing the hearts and minds of people!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerFan45 View Post
Is there a significant amount of racism towards Hispanics in West Lafayette, Kokomo or any other cities in Indiana?

The reason for that is that I plan to move there, and I'm Hispanic. And I'm sure there's bound to be racism, as there is in every state, but I'm curious to know if it's at a highly noticeable level. I don't want to move into an area where I'll bump into problems...

Thanks,
Wow, it's kind of racist to assume that other races are racist!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM

223 posts, read 757,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojojuju View Post
Wow, it's kind of racist to assume that other races are racist!
'Hispanic' is not a race....

Old 08-01-2008, 05:40 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandre View Post
'Hispanic' is not a race....
Great point and I think it's time to close this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana