Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:13 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times

Advertisements

So when I run for governor, should I make it a point to change our name from the Hoosier State to the Indianan State? Insteresting story and I know I've veered, but,

What to Call Elsewherians and why - CNN.com

Old 07-21-2008, 12:15 PM

512 posts, read 861,504 times
I don't get why Hoosier is a bad word, unless you attened Purdue. I'll give 'em a break for that one. But Indianan? I, too, almost commented on it the other day, but my post was quite hightened, and I didn't want to go there.

I certainly don't like Indianan, or Indianian. Just the enunciation of the words sound silly. Kentuckian, Texan, they sound normal. Maybe because they've always been called by those names. But Indianan/Indianian sounds like you're trying to hard to make people think you're better than other Hoosiers.

I take great pride in being a Hoosier, but it's because I don't see the word as derogatory, I see the people I grew up around, the beautiful countryside, and the pride in basketball. Yes, even for you Boilermakers.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,996,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Perhaps he meant "Indianian?" I have used that; but not Indianan. I don't know many Purdue alums who refer to themselves as Hoosiers. In fact, some of them would get pretty upset if you called them a Hoosier, even if you are just meaning it in the "from Indiana" sense.
I meant Indianan, not Indianian, which doesn't make any sense. Think about it. California - Californian. Texas - Texan. Not Texian.

If it weren't for the "Hoosier" nickname Indianan wouldn't sound weird.

I realize it sounds very strange, and nobody actually says it in practice. I was just thinking of other states' nicknames for their residents, and right now I can't think of another state whose residents are known by a nickname rather than by the name of their state (i.e. Illinoisans, New Yorkers, South Dakotans. Or Dakotians, I guess). In that respect alone, 'Hoosier' is odd. It's also odd that no one knows what it really means, yet they are convinced it is the only appropriate term for a resident of the state. Maybe it's my own personal peeve, but I never liked the name, I think it sounds country, and I'm not country. If you like it, great. Embroider it on the front of your bib overalls, if you like.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:09 PM

512 posts, read 861,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
right now I can't think of another state whose residents are known by a nickname rather than by the name of their state (i.e. Illinoisans, New Yorkers, South Dakotans. Or Dakotians, I guess).
Sooners (Oklahoma), Cornhuskers (Nebraska) are two I can think of off the top of my head. Yes, they might also sound silly, but for better or worse, they are how we all know them. And they might sound hillbilly, but I don't automatically think of someone living in Oklahoma or Nebraska as being hillbilly. Um, and isn't Illinios Illini? maybe it's just their college mascot.

Quote:
If you like it, great. Embroider it on the front of your bib overalls, if you like.
I have to admit, this was funny. I'm so not a bib-overall wearing gal. In fact, I'm 50/50, I guess some would call be a citybilly. But that thar was funny, I don't care who ya are.

Sorry, I know this has way veered.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:27 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
I meant Indianan, not Indianian, which doesn't make any sense. Think about it. California - Californian. Texas - Texan. Not Texian.

If it weren't for the "Hoosier" nickname Indianan wouldn't sound weird.
Actually, I think they both sound stupid. I was just throwing it out there since the others seemed confused.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 07-21-2008 at 02:39 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 02:43 PM

Illinoisians? Hmmmm ... Hoosier suits me fine, thank you and now I need to go get my bibs embroidered.

So back to Hispanics in Indiana .. sorry, this was my fault.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:54 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
I lived in Northern Illinois for quite a while. I never heard the term Illinoisans. The most I heard were the Illini.

Unless you were close to the Wisconsin line like I was, then they called you a FIB. LOL

Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I lived in Northern Illinois for quite a while. I never heard the term Illinoisans. The most I heard were the Illini.

Unless you were close to the Wisconsin line like I was, then they called you a FIB. LOL
What are Wisconsin people called? Wisconsians? Or are they referred to as Badgers?

Old 07-21-2008, 06:16 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Cheddar-heads :-)

Old 07-23-2008, 09:02 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,996,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post

I was born in Illinois and my parents live there. The Illini are an Indian tribe and the University of Illinois's mascot. I've never heard residents of Illinois referred to as "Illini." They are Illinoisans, as confirmed by several newspapers that include the term Illinoisan in the name.

People from Wisconsin are, of course, Wisconsonians.

Is this stuff really this difficult for you folks? You act as though you've never heard of these terms before. It cracks me up. Must fit in with your "Hoosier" heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana