Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times

Advertisements

I absolutely adore Publix and wish they'd come to Knoxville. As someone else said, their subs alone are reason to shop there.

I think Publix really missed the boat when they didn't buy Bi-Lo's locations when Bi-Lo exited the Knoxville market. Publix bought Bruno's locations in Nashville when Bruno's went under, so I was hoping they'd do the same with Bi-Lo in Knoxville. Oh well. (side note: I really do miss Bi-Lo.)

But, Knoxville is certainly growing fast enough that it should be able to support a few Publix locations should Publix decide to come to town. I was in Atlanta when Publix started expanding there, and it was awesome. It forced Kroger to upgrade its Atlanta stores in order to compete with Publix which was definitely a good thing.

And for those who have contacted Publix only to be told that they're not coming to Knoxville, note their wording. They say things like "there are no current plans" or "we are not coming to Knoxville" which could mean anything from "but next month there will be plans" to "we don't have an opening date yet" to "we're looking at Farragut but haven't finalized anything."

Given its success in Nashville and Chattanooga, I can't help but believe that Publix will inevitably come to Knoxville.

Last edited by JMT; 06-24-2009 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 11:25 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1961 View Post
Which chain supermarket in Knoxville is typically the best stocked and cleanest?
Honestly, it varies more by location than chain. The best selections are usually to be found in west Knoxville.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:27 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I absolutely adore Publix and wish they'd come to Knoxville. As someone else said, their subs alone are reason to shop there.

I think Publix really missed the boat when they didn't buy Bi-Lo's locations when Bi-Lo exited the Knoxville market. Publix bought Bruno's locations in Nashville when Bruno's went under, so I was hoping they'd do the same with Bi-Lo in Knoxville. Oh well. (side note: I really do miss Bi-Lo.)

But, Knoxville is certainly growing fast enough that it should be able to support a few Publix locations should Publix decide to come to town. I was in Atlanta when Publix started expanding there, and it was awesome. It forced Kroger to upgrade its Atlanta stores in order to compete with Publix which was definitely a good thing.

And for those who have contacted Publix only to be told that they're not coming to Knoxville, note their wording. They say things like "there are no current plans" or "we are not coming to Knoxville" which could mean anything from "but next month there will be plans" to "we don't have an opening date yet" to "we're looking at Farragut but haven't finalized anything."

Given its success in Nashville and Chattanooga, I can't help but believe that Publix will inevitably come to Knoxville.
How is it that Chattanooga, a city smaller than Knoxville, has a larger variety of grocery stores?

Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 AM

623 posts, read 1,541,987 times
Many people here in Chattanooga are just more pretentious in that way Kiddies.

I've noticed that rich indulgences like like art galleries and quant shops are definitely more prevalant vs Knoxville. That said, there are no more rich people here than there, people just seem more likey to treat themselves to stuff like that.

Also, there's no Kroger or any other grocer that's "Kroger quality," so Publix had that going for them before they moved here. They'd have to certainly compete with Kroger in Knoxville.

I've never entered Publix, I'm assuming it's pricer?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:21 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Well, I was in this Publix again that I was speaking about below, again with my aunt. As we were going in, she said that everything at Publix was high quality when I had mentioned to her that I had heard the sandwiches there were good. We got my little cousins birthday cake there adn it was of the highest quality. We also had some "Publix brand" ice cream and everyone was ooing and aahing. Its good that they sell quality foods.

I even bought a "green" reusable shopping bag and a 2-liter of Publix black cherry soft drink... goooood.

The outside of the store was not that attractive/stood out, but it was clean... throughout. That was an older store as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post

I like Publix... I shopped there when visiting relatives in South Carolina last year. My aunt lives a mile from Ingalls, but she will drive 5 miles and shop Publix she loves it so much.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:17 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Well, I was in this Publix again that I was speaking about below, again with my aunt. As we were going in, she said that everything at Publix was high quality when I had mentioned to her that I had heard the sandwiches there were good. We got my little cousins birthday cake there adn it was of the highest quality. We also had some "Publix brand" ice cream and everyone was ooing and aahing. Its good that they sell quality foods.

I even bought a "green" reusable shopping bag and a 2-liter of Publix black cherry soft drink... goooood.

The outside of the store was not that attractive/stood out, but it was clean... throughout. That was an older store as well.
You just made me homesick for Publix!

You are right on about everything. My dad is a chocoholic, but his favorite chocolate ice cream of all time is the regular Publix brand.

There aren't many things about Florida that I miss and wish we had in Tennessee, but Publix is one of them.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:

You are right on about everything. My dad is a chocoholic, but his favorite chocolate ice cream of all time is the regular Publix brand.

There aren't many things about Florida that I miss and wish we had in Tennessee, but Publix is one of them.
I like the Double Chunk Chocolate Chip. I haven't found anything close to it, since. On second thought, maybe that's a good thing.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:41 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Quote:

LOL. Something else they had that I love (or used to love) were those Brachs chocolate stars! You used to could buy them in the packages, but not anymore, not in any of the stores here in the Tri-Cities anyway, but Publix had an array of Brachs chocolates sold by the pound, and those "stars" were some of them. How I longed for some of those stars, but I didnt want to blow my diet!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:32 PM

204 posts, read 580,360 times
Lol chocolate stars....I used to do just that at Publix. I could buy just a few and it was enough to satisfy my chocolate craving and still not be too bad. I love their bakeries....almost all in Fl buy birthday cakes there and my favorite is.......well just about all but love their coconut custard pies and I can not find them in Tennessee. PUBLIX>>DO YOU HEAR ME SHOUTING TO COME TO KNOXVILLE??????

Krogers is my store here. I guess I will have to settle till those Publix giants get their brains in gear.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:09 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times
Coming from Alabama I missed not having a Publix to do my shopping. I have never had any thing bad of the publix store brand. They have good store brand icecream and drinks. Their Ginger Ale is my favorite of all brands. And they also have these mint cookies that are very similar to thin mints that are wonderful.
From the stores I've shopped in Knoxville, none of them can compare to the enjoyable shopping at Publix. But I will take any grocery store over having to go to Walmart UGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville