Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 11:13 PM

66 posts, read 70,921 times

Advertisements

We are constantly being bombarded with single propeller planes and Cessna, sometimes helicopters. I feel like we're living in a war zone now. They are civilian (non-military). Fridays, and weekends, especially Sundays are awful now, but they are here most of the week too. They start at 7 am and once every 10-15 min we get one of these flying over our area. They are very loud and can be clearly heard when you're inside your house, even with windows closed. They sound like lawn mower. We live in sun city summerlin (+55), We lived here for 15 years and strange enough we we've never heard these too many props and Cessna flying over our house. It seems like these private planes are going around and around the whole day, every day, sometimes even late at night. Maybe they are training new pilots, I'm assuming they are taking off from North Las Vegas airport. Does anyone know what's going on? I doubt if this has anything to do with Nellis 23-2. They are definitely NON MILITARY and civilian and been here every day for the past two month. Something has changed in the last two month. Do you hear more plane noise recently in Las Vegas, especially around north west? Has your neighborhood been affected? Appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 06:40 AM

401 posts, read 570,038 times
It depends when you say 'northwest' - more specific I could probably point out what traffic you're seeing/hearing.

There are a few flight schools at KVGT (North Las Vegas) that predominantly use Cessna 172 or Diamond DA20/40, runway orientation is 30/12 with another 07/25 that doesn't get used as much. Normal departure procedures for VFR (nice weather) aircraft is to depart and climb to 3500-4000' to Lone Mountain - then off to one of the local training areas. For recovery if runway 12 is in use - normally check in with KVGT tower no later than Centennial Hills at 3500-4500. From there...it is direct to the field and into the VFR pattern.

If your house is on the extended centerline of 300° or 120° from North Las Vegas airport - you're getting departure / arrival traffic. If you're west between KVGT and Lone Mountain...you are getting departure traffic. If you're in the area immediately surrounding the field...it's VFR traffic pattern. IF you're WAY Northwest (i.e., Kyle Canyon Rd)...you're immediately under a training airspace.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it me or there is A LOT more plane noise in North west Las Vegas recently? Has it impacted your area?-screenshot-2023-03-14-6.22.50-am.jpg   Is it me or there is A LOT more plane noise in North west Las Vegas recently? Has it impacted your area?-screenshot-2023-03-14-6.28.03-am.jpg   Is it me or there is A LOT more plane noise in North west Las Vegas recently? Has it impacted your area?-screenshot-2023-03-14-6.35.41-am.jpg  

Old 03-14-2023, 01:58 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,755,507 times
I've noticed more plane noise too, I'm in 89052. More people flying these days compared to during the pandemic. Planes coming and going to many destinations, not sure what the flight paths are, but there are a few airports here.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. we are in 89134, sun city summerlin. we are a retired community & lived here for 15 years and never seen these many small props or Cessna. Are they training right on top of sun city homes now? Every 10-15 min a loud one is flying by. Sundays are the absolute worst, starting at 7 am. thx for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
It depends when you say 'northwest' - more specific I could probably point out what traffic you're seeing/hearing.

There are a few flight schools at KVGT (North Las Vegas) that predominantly use Cessna 172 or Diamond DA20/40, runway orientation is 30/12 with another 07/25 that doesn't get used as much. Normal departure procedures for VFR (nice weather) aircraft is to depart and climb to 3500-4000' to Lone Mountain - then off to one of the local training areas. For recovery if runway 12 is in use - normally check in with KVGT tower no later than Centennial Hills at 3500-4500. From there...it is direct to the field and into the VFR pattern.

If your house is on the extended centerline of 300° or 120° from North Las Vegas airport - you're getting departure / arrival traffic. If you're west between KVGT and Lone Mountain...you are getting departure traffic. If you're in the area immediately surrounding the field...it's VFR traffic pattern. IF you're WAY Northwest (i.e., Kyle Canyon Rd)...you're immediately under a training airspace.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:11 PM

ye it sucks. have you noticed the increase in air traffic is to do with commercial fights or small propeller planes & Cessna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I've noticed more plane noise too, I'm in 89052. More people flying these days compared to during the pandemic. Planes coming and going to many destinations, not sure what the flight paths are, but there are a few airports here.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:47 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,755,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl2023 View Post
ye it sucks. have you noticed the increase in air traffic is to do with commercial fights or small propeller planes & Cessna?
I don't know, I hear all sizes at all times of day. I can generally just tune it out, but have noticed I'm hearing a lot more than I used to. I don't hear much outside noise if the TV or background music is on, but I work from home and don't like to have that stuff on all the time.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. we are in 89134, sun city summerlin. we are a retired community & lived here for 15 years and never seen these many small props or Cessna. Are they training right on top of sun city homes now? Every 10-15 min a loud one is flying by. Sundays are the absolute worst, starting at 7 am. thx for the feedback
You’re only 6 nautical miles west of the airport. Because LAS is a Class B airspace (very busy), most small aircraft out of North Las Vegas will pass over your house at about 4000’ to stay below LAS airspace (so they don’t have to talk to anyone). Sun City Summerlin is at about 2800’….therefore they’re about 1200’ above you and likely starting to climb higher as they head south and west back to SoCal.

Hate to say it, but as LAS and HND (Henderson) have gotten more crowded….that leaves KVGT for everything else. I suspect it will only get busier.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it me or there is A LOT more plane noise in North west Las Vegas recently? Has it impacted your area?-9c6cb2d0-ed9d-4ee4-a592-58805ffcb86b.jpeg  

Old 03-14-2023, 10:25 PM

thx for the reply. I'd forgotten we are already 2800 ft above sea level. That explains why I see them flying low (1000 ft from residential homes). They are definitely non military planes (single props and Cessna) flying here all the time now (except rainy, very windy days). The drastic increase in plane noise in our area is pretty recent and occurred right after red flag 23-1 (Feb 10th). Ever since there was a sudden increase in plane noise and it has remained that way for the past 5.5 weeks. I know there is red flag 23-2 going on right now. Is it possible some of these planes in and out of north las vegas airport are being re-routed over our area to deconflict with the heavy traffic out of nellis afb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
You’re only 6 nautical miles west of the airport. Because LAS is a Class B airspace (very busy), most small aircraft out of North Las Vegas will pass over your house at about 4000’ to stay below LAS airspace (so they don’t have to talk to anyone). Sun City Summerlin is at about 2800’….therefore they’re about 1200’ above you and likely starting to climb higher as they head south and west back to SoCal.

Hate to say it, but as LAS and HND (Henderson) have gotten more crowded….that leaves KVGT for everything else. I suspect it will only get busier.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:32 PM

ye. but in our area these planes are flying low (500-1000ft), unlike commercial that go above 30,000 ft. we get a lot of commercial too, but I can tune them out because they fly high altitude. But these small single props, Cessna r very loud and can clearly be heard inside the house, even with white noise and music on. Impossible to sleep on Sundays, showing up at 7 am and staying up in the air the whole day, even lately at nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I don't know, I hear all sizes at all times of day. I can generally just tune it out, but have noticed I'm hearing a lot more than I used to. I don't hear much outside noise if the TV or background music is on, but I work from home and don't like to have that stuff on all the time.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
thx for the reply. I'd forgotten we are already 2800 ft above sea level. That explains why I see them flying low (1000 ft from residential homes). They are definitely non military planes (single props and Cessna) flying here all the time now (except rainy, very windy days). The drastic increase in plane noise in our area is pretty recent and occurred right after red flag 23-1 (Feb 10th). Ever since there was a sudden increase in plane noise and it has remained that way for the past 5.5 weeks. I know there is red flag 23-2 going on right now. Is it possible some of these planes in and out of north las vegas airport are being re-routed over our area to deconflict with the heavy traffic out of nellis afb?
No - sorry, two totally different things - can't blame the AF for this one. The airspace used for Red Flag is the same exact airspace used every single day for normal Nellis flying. Yes, there are more aircraft - but nothing changes with departure / recovery and noise abatement procedures. You're just hearing the growth of schools out of KVGT....accept it, or move...sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas