Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 01:43 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
First, the feds have to find them. They generally don't stand on the corner with signs around their neck, "I've Overstayed My Visa."

If they marry a citizen, they can stay.

The problem is their employers. If there were no jobs for them, they wouldn't stay.
My husband has a friend who married a woman from the Balkans here on a visa. This was over a year ago. As far as I know, she has not become a naturalized citizen. She does not work and her husband supports her. No children yet.

So is she supposed to keep applying for visas her entire married life? At least in the past, government tended to overlook this kind of a situation. Male US Citizen with Foreign Citizen wife.

My husband has asked him what he would do if his wife is deported. Move to her country was his answer. Ironic point? He has a local government job, and makes over $50,000 a year.

For far too many people they just think Mexican illegals.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:38 PM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My husband has a friend who married a woman from the Balkans here on a visa. This was over a year ago. As far as I know, she has not become a naturalized citizen. She does not work and her husband supports her. No children yet.

So is she supposed to keep applying for visas her entire married life? At least in the past, government tended to overlook this kind of a situation. Male US Citizen with Foreign Citizen wife.

My husband has asked him what he would do if his wife is deported. Move to her country was his answer. Ironic point? He has a local government job, and makes over $50,000 a year.

They are supposed to apply for her permanent residence (and could have applied for a fiancé visa before the wedding). There is no waiting time for a spouse so it would be a matter of a couple of months to get everything through.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:02 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Just because one marries a foreigner does not automatically grant their spouse a visa. The US government can still deny entry to foreigners married to US citizens. It does happen. If someone is here illegally and they marry a US citizen, that doesn't mean they won't be deported. I would guess there is a high percentage chance their green card marriage will be rejected. Only citizens can not be deported, even permanent residents can be deported, but it is more difficult.

In the US, local police departments and federal police departments do not always enforce the same laws, whether they should or not. That is why there are sanctuary cities where the police do not typically arrest people simply for being illegal. Break a second law and that might change.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:13 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Some states allow tourists to obtain driver's licenses.

WHERE?? I think you have to have a tourist Visa where you will be here for an extended amount of time. You can't just come here to stay for a week and get one.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:19 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Back when I worked restaurants, every single person who worked in the kitchen of every single restaurant was illegal. Every single of those people also used a SSN, whether fake or belonging to a deceased person or whatever, and paid taxes out of their paychecks and social security and disability and all the rest. I know for a fact that it's still the same, and that illegal immigrants working in construction do the same thing (can't speak to agriculture). Most working illegals are actually paying money into a system which they'll never use.

AND THEIR BREAKING THE LAW using someone else's SSN whether deceased or not or even if it's fake. That in itself should call for deportation and the businesses who hire them knowing they are illegal should be shut down.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:53 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Back when I worked restaurants, every single person who worked in the kitchen of every single restaurant was illegal. Every single of those people also used a SSN, whether fake or belonging to a deceased person or whatever, and paid taxes out of their paychecks and social security and disability and all the rest. I know for a fact that it's still the same, and that illegal immigrants working in construction do the same thing (can't speak to agriculture). Most working illegals are actually paying money into a system which they'll never use.
Awwww, poor illegals/sarcasm.

Some of them commit ID theft which puts the victim in a world of hurt. So many native-born Puerto Ricans have been victims of ID theft that the PR government had to declare all PR issued birth certificates null and void.

Then there is that despicable loophole in the law that says it's okay if someone is using your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it. If that happens to you, the SSA won't tell you. You only find out when the IRS comes after you for not filing a return on a job you never worked. There are people who discovered scores of illegals were using their SSNs. Don't believe it? Do some googling.

They'll never collect SSN for being ID thieves? Good! They deserve nothing but jail time for ID theft.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:55 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I cringe at the obsession many CD posters have for "illegal aliens".
And I cringe at the fact that you think it's perfectly okay that we have people who sneak across the border or overstay their visas.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:48 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
That is not so. I do not know the percentage, but I know one person who worked in a restaurant, and never paid a dime in taxes. I saw evidence that he was not alone. I do agree that apparently many restaurants hired illegals and paid them with cash.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:28 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
I once met a fellow who had overstayed his visa and managed to stay under the radar for 30 years working odd cash only jobs. He told me he was planning on returning to his home country to retire. He was hoping the climate for gay people was more friendly when he returned to retire than it was when he left.

Some folks want to desperately be out of their country due to poor living conditions and poor job prospects but the official channels for getting a visa was something like 10+ years.

i doubt anyone overstaying a student visa has a masters degree because they wouldn't be able to do anything other than menial jobs if they can only work for cash.

my wife and I sponsored a family who had waited the 10+ years to come to this country legally. The sponsorship was just to show financial support so they don't wind up taking social security or medicare. They never did need help from us but that family struggled for years to eek out a living though they are better off these days.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Overall USA immigration cuts visa overstays more slack than those who enter illegally. The working theory among many is that because the former are often white/European and or highly educated/skilled persons they don't rub many the wrong was as Latino/Hispanics or others.
That's pretty much why it's not seen or treated as a serious immigration issue.

When you look purely at the numbers of overstays, Europe by far has more visa overstays that the estimated number of illegal crosser over the Mexican border. Why Canada alone had 99.906 individuals on visas declared as overstays. Even putting aside the numbers, looking just at the percentage, there are clearly some countries where the chances a person will overstay is high.. I think we should equally be putting the kabosh on those countries where overstays are on the rise, regardless of skin color or language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.