Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 03:39 AM

92 posts, read 87,248 times

Advertisements

I heard so much people came in the US with legal tourist-student visa and they didn't return their country back. They stayed for years and their visa has been expired. If I'm not wrong, they can't get a SSN card (but few states exception) but they take their payment as a cash and they even pay their taxes so there is no problem for them. Also these people don't involve any criminal unlawful business they just live as other American citizens.

My question is: If they arrested by police, what will happen to that illegal immigrants ? Are there any rights for them ?

Old 11-20-2016, 05:09 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares386 View Post
I heard so much people came in the US with legal tourist-student visa and they didn't return their country back. They stayed for years and their visa has been expired. If I'm not wrong, they can't get a SSN card (but few states exception) but they take their payment as a cash and they even pay their taxes so there is no problem for them. Also these people don't involve any criminal unlawful business they just live as other American citizens.

My question is: If they arrested by police, what will happen to that illegal immigrants ? Are there any rights for them ?
How are they paying federal or state income taxes, if they are accepting cash only and don't have a SSN number?

Old 11-20-2016, 05:27 AM

92 posts, read 87,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
How are they paying federal or state income taxes, if they are accepting cash only and don't have a SSN number?
I think they can't do that if they don't have a SSN number but some illegal immigrants found a way to get a SSN number in few states. I heard Internal Revenue Service tolerates them when used for employment purposes. So that the U.S. government can tax the earnings of illegal immigrants.

Isn't that possible ? Ten states allow illegal immigrants to obtain their driver’s licenses you can look these states here:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...mmigrants.html

Old 11-20-2016, 10:18 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Some states allow tourists to obtain driver's licenses.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:18 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:

First, the feds have to find them. They generally don't stand on the corner with signs around their neck, "I've Overstayed My Visa."

If they marry a citizen, they can stay.

The problem is their employers. If there were no jobs for them, they wouldn't stay.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:03 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, unlawful presence for more than 180 days is punishable by a 3-year bar against re-entering, and unlawful presence of one year or more is punishable by a 10-year ban.

After getting rid of the illegal criminals, the visa overstays are next in line. I don't know why people think they can just waltz in our country and act like it is their right to be here.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:37 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Quote:

No rights. They broke the law by overstaying. What makes them so special? They may pay some taxes but doubt that they pay state and federal income taxes if they are paid in cash. No, they do not live as other American citizens, key word being that they are not citizens.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:44 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Anyone can apply for an ITIN to pay taxes.

Overstaying means illegal and illegal means, breaking the law.

However if they get stopped by the cops than probably nothing happens as I have been in traffic court and listened to a judge giving a speech to an illegal who drove without a valid drivers license and on top of that got a violation and the judge gave a speech how the illegal could be arrested and deported.

The illegal got everything translated by his court translator and this 16 year old, left the court room as a free person and most likely is still driving around.

Sadly if you get hit by an illegal who often is not insured than you get stuck with all the cost.

Due to the illegal aliens and uninsured drivers the insurance premiums are sky high.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:39 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, unlawful presence for more than 180 days is punishable by a 3-year bar against re-entering, and unlawful presence of one year or more is punishable by a 10-year ban.

After getting rid of the illegal criminals, the visa overstays are next in line. I don't know why people think they can just waltz in our country and act like it is their right to be here.

True but there is a waiver process that will allow anyone subjected to such a ban to get around. Know of at least four persons who were stamped "not eligible for re-entry" because they over stayed various visas (tourist, education, employment), but married American citizens. It took awhile with lots of legal work but all returned to the USA in far less than those ten or three years.

In fact Obama waived the requirement that overstays must leave the USA as part of the process to obtain a green card via marriage. Many complained (including a number of gays now able to marry once DOMA was repealed), that the rule was a Catch-22. That is if they left the country to complete process the would face the ban upon re-entry as noted above.

Overall USA immigration cuts visa overstays more slack than those who enter illegally. The working theory among many is that because the former are often white/European and or highly educated/skilled persons they don't rub many the wrong was as Latino/Hispanics or others.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:50 PM

578 posts, read 458,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
First, the feds have to find them. They generally don't stand on the corner with signs around their neck, "I've Overstayed My Visa."

If they marry a citizen, they can stay.

The problem is their employers. If there were no jobs for them, they wouldn't stay.
They are like me and YOU they just want to provide for their family. I believe as long as they have been law abiding citizens and are paying taxes. Let them renew their visa,pay a fee and move on with their lifes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration