Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 11:46 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I once met a fellow who had overstayed his visa and managed to stay under the radar for 30 years working odd cash only jobs
Sure, you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
my wife and I sponsored a family who had waited the 10+ years to come to this country legally. The sponsorship was just to show financial support so they don't wind up taking social security or medicare. They never did need help from us but that family struggled for years to eek out a living though they are better off these days.
Heartwarming tale.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:50 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares386 View Post
I heard Internal Revenue Service tolerates them when used for employment purposes.
Do you believe everything you hear, or just the things that confirm your prejudices?

Of course, you could just look it up:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf

But the answer you find might not be what you wanted to believe.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:39 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
I heard so much people came in the US with legal tourist-student visa and they didn't return their country back. They stayed for years and their visa has been expired. If I'm not wrong, they can't get a SSN card (but few states exception) but they take their payment as a cash and they even pay their taxes so there is no problem for them. Also these people don't involve any criminal unlawful business they just live as other American citizens.

My question is: If they arrested by police, what will happen to that illegal immigrants ? Are there any rights for them ?

Those who come to the USA on student visas *do* get a SSN. Did you go to college? My SSN was required for all sorts of paperwork in my day and (gasp) grades were even posted listed by same. That practice in the age of ID theft has probably ceased.

Students here on visas need to have a bank account as well if for no other reason to receive/deposit money from "home".

Am not sure but *think* the difference might be that the SSN is not supposed to have income associated with the thing.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
When I lived in NYC, my neighbor was a young American woman of Irish descent who had attended college in Ireland...and she may have even worked there briefly too, but I am not sure of that. She had a never-ending stream of young guests from Ireland, and a few elected to stay here for awhile and worked off the books in Irish bars and restaurants in the city. I gathered from what she said (this is in the 90's) that they could be deported.

At one point in the 90's I read that the #1 "visa jumpers" were young Irish kids. If I recall correctly when they decided to return they could just turn themselves in and they were deported - at no charge to them . The article described the experience as sort of a lark for these kids who got to live in the U.S. and see a bit of the country, and then go back when their curiosity ran out. The penalty, if I recall correctly, was to be unable to return to the U.S. on a tourist visa for a certain number of years. South Boston was alleged to be full to the brim with Irish visa jumpers.

Yes, Irish visa overstays were a huge issue. During the 1980's or so having an Irish nanny/child minder here in NYC was easy as picking up a newspaper (Irish Echo) and or advertising in same.

Many Irish also came to the USA that way to escape "The Troubles" in the 1970's through 1990's.

However many Irish did leave NYC/USA voluntarily when Ireland's "Celtic Tiger" economy was booming from around the middle of 1990's through a good part of 2000's.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:51 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
How are they paying federal or state income taxes, if they are accepting cash only and don't have a SSN number?
I think they have a ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).

Old 11-22-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
I think they have a ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).

Even if they didn't vast sums are paid to the US treasury under fake or illegally used SSNs. SSA sends out notices to employers but they are largely looked at and tossed.

In many instances such as say construction such notices really don't matter. By the time SSA or IRS sends notices the contract laborer has finished his or her work and moved on. Same will happen at the next job they take.

Before anyone gets on their high horse, the sums "illegal workers" contribute to Social Security (that they won't get back in benefits) and or taxes is not a small amount.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:55 PM

604 posts, read 618,672 times
yes, they can be deported.

According to some sources, they do represent 40% of the illegal alien population. Better enforcement could prevent more illegal immigration than a 'big beautiful wall'

Just bear in mind that visa overstay is not considered a crime (as opposed to illegal entry) but a violation.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
yes, they can be deported.

According to some sources, they do represent 40% of the illegal alien population. Better enforcement could prevent more illegal immigration than a 'big beautiful wall'

Just bear in mind that visa overstay is not considered a crime (as opposed to illegal entry) but a violation.
Illegal entry into the USA is not a crime, but a civil violation. Visa overstays since they originally entered the country legally can go "out of status" and be subject to removal or ordered to leave.

None of this includes various other infractions that are crimes, such as fraud and or criminal enterprise ( sex trafficking/human smuggling).

For years certain groups have advocated making entry into without proper authoriziation (illegal entry) a crime, but federal government (under both political parties) has pushed back.

As it stands now the immigration courts are clogged processing civil deportation. The federal courts dealing with crimes are also overwhelmed with cases. It would create a nightmare of epic proportions if every single illegal entry was treated as a crime and thus subject to the federal criminal justice system. The thing would collapse upon itself within less than a year.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:41 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
I heard so much people came in the US with legal tourist-student visa and they didn't return their country back. They stayed for years and their visa has been expired. If I'm not wrong, they can't get a SSN card (but few states exception) but they take their payment as a cash and they even pay their taxes so there is no problem for them. Also these people don't involve any criminal unlawful business they just live as other American citizens.

My question is: If they arrested by police, what will happen to that illegal immigrants ? Are there any rights for them ?
No. Subject to deportation.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:43 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
They are like me and YOU they just want to provide for their family. I believe as long as they have been law abiding citizens and are paying taxes. Let them renew their visa,pay a fee and move on with their lifes..
They violated law.

How can they be law abiding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration