Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2022, 08:18 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times

Advertisements

Personally, this team has exceeded my expectations. They looked like they hadn't improved at all in pre-season and the start of the season was a really shaky one. I'm super excited to see them back in the playoffs and at this point any additional wins are just gravy IMO. The defense has really faded down the stretch and IMO that's one of the biggest issues right now.

Hard to say if Mac is the QB of the future. He's never looked awesome this year, but few rookie QBs ever do and the team all year never really put a game on his shoulders. If he continues to progress he'll be the starting QB here for a while. Hard to say what's going to happen until maybe year 2 or 3 at least. He's definitely had a much better year than any other rookie QB in a loaded QB draft but he also has a lot less physical talent than many of them. So, it's very possible some of those guys may leap over Mac next year.

Anyway, the team is setup well for near term success. They have some big contracts they'll have to consider like JC Jackson and overall the defense really needs to get younger and faster. The receiving core needs a lot of improvement as well. Hopefully, BB can address some of those needs in the offseason without losing any other important pieces along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 03:14 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
When it comes to Mac Jones, certainly he's had a good rookie year, better than any other rookie QB taken this year, and the Patriots are the only team starting a rookie QB that's going into the playoffs. Here's his final regular season stats per ESPN... note that his QBR is ranked 16th out of the 32 NFL starting quarterbacks - not bad at all for a rookie:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/atta...1&d=1642155526

I saw a YouTube clip of NBC's Tom Curran discussing Jones this week and he was actually asking if Jones is the Patriots' quarterback of the future! It's way too early to be raising those kinds of questions IMO, and I think Jones definitely showed enough this year to earn the right to be the unquestioned starter next year. It's absolutely normal for NFL quarterbacks to need some time to develop and reach their full potential. Heck, Peyton Manning was terrible his rookie year - threw more INTs than TDs, and he is one of the all-time greats at the position.

Mac Jones has been playing well - yes, we hope he'll ultimately play better, but give the guy at least two years to show what he can be.
Attached Thumbnails
How About Those Patriots?-mac-jones.jpg  

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-14-2022 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 01-14-2022, 07:47 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
6F at kickoff. Expect another 6 offensive linemen, tight end, and fullback game.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:11 AM

12,817 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I saw a YouTube clip of NBC's Tom Curran discussing Jones this week and he was actually asking if Jones is the Patriots' quarterback of the future! It's way too early to be raising those kinds of questions IMO, and I think Jones definitely showed enough this year to earn the right to be the unquestioned starter next year. It's absolutely normal for NFL quarterbacks to need some time to develop and reach their full potential. Heck, Peyton Manning was terrible his rookie year - threw more INTs than TDs, and he is one of the all-time greats at the position.

Mac Jones has been playing well - yes, we hope he'll ultimately play better, but give the guy at least two years to show what he can be.
I'd like to think Tom Curran is just trying to stir the pot for clicks/views. No matter what happens tomorrow night, Jones has had an excellent rookie season by most metrics and should be considered the QB1 going into next year (and beyond, unless next year is an epic disaster). He was certainly buoyed a bit by a strong defense and a good running game, but you can't fault him for that. The crew of pass catchers around him wasn't exactly stellar this year and he still managed to be among the more accurate passers in the league. Bill is certainly not shy about replacing superstars and bringing in guys to compete for spots in camp, but I have a hard time imagining that Jones isn't all buy a lock for opening day next year. They'd have to be really down on him for reasons we don't know to give up so quickly on their 2021 1st round pick rookie QB who had a statistically strong season and lead the team to the playoffs. I just don't see it happening yet.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:45 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'd like to think Tom Curran is just trying to stir the pot for clicks/views.
That's a a safe bet as it is all he knows at this point.

Old 01-14-2022, 06:15 PM

Sending positive vibes to our boys for tomorrow night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eV-Ht7z7gA

Old 01-15-2022, 09:18 AM

Anyone going to Buffalo for the game? Tickets are less than $70 including taxes/fees right now. I’m guessing the weather makes it a tough sell.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Anyone going to Buffalo for the game? Tickets are less than $70 including taxes/fees right now. I’m guessing the weather makes it a tough sell.
Watching from the comfort of home... not liking what I am seeing so far - offsides by Jakob Johnson sends them backward, reception just bounces off Bolden's chest, wrong receiver tips pass intended for Myers, Agholor not looking or adjusting to pass that would have hit him in the back of the head in the end zone, doesn't compete for the ball which is intercepted... it's not Mac Jones, it's his other skill players...

Old 01-15-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Watching from the comfort of home... not liking what I am seeing so far - offsides by Jakob Johnson sends them backward, reception just bounces off Bolden's chest, wrong receiver tips pass intended for Myers, Agholor not looking or adjusting to pass that would have hit him in the back of the head in the end zone, doesn't compete for the ball which is intercepted... it's not Mac Jones, it's his other skill players...
I’m certainly glad I didn’t make the drive (at least at the moment)! Not pretty so far.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I’m certainly glad I didn’t make the drive (at least at the moment)! Not pretty so far.
This is a far better Buffalo team than we saw during the Brady era, on both sides of the ball. They're better than these Patriots, who would have to play absolutely mistake-free football to have a chance, but they're not doing that. Watching Josh Allen just run through our defensive players like they're just standing still is discouraging - normally you want to pressure the QB, but our guys seem powerless to stop Allen when he runs, so you almost don't want them to pressure him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts