Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 09:14 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
3 additional kids added to a kindergarten class in the middle of the year is a lot...I'd be annoyed for sure.

This is what I'm talking about when I say this is lowering the quality of life for people already here. It isn't helpful to have a crowded classroom for the kids already there or for the teachers and I'm sure these kids are behind.

It's a big deal and don't try to act like it isn't.
Yes, even if these three new students were stellar students, American-born and English speaking, who had just moved here from an American city, it would still be disruptive, I'm sure, whether added in the start of the school year or now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 09:19 AM

16,293 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Yes, even if these three new students were stellar students, American-born and English speaking, who had just moved here from an American city, it would still be disruptive, I'm sure, whether added in the start of the school year or now.
Yes. it's never a good thing to have more and more kids join an already somewhat crowded classroom...this is why towns can be against more building. It means more people, more kids crowding schools which are already underfunded and understaffed.

Also is there just one kindergarten class?? Seems odd that 3 were added to one classroom...perhaps there were more added to the other classes. I'm sorry but this is bad. I'm sure others get enjoyment seeing US parents who are working, trying their best to give their kids a good education suddenly have to deal with this. Let's just save everyone in the world and share everything we work for.

Old 01-05-2024, 03:27 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Marriotts? Hmmm.

That's definitely more upscale than most hotels they've been staying in. Are you sure? Even if it's Courtyard by Marriott or Fairfield by Marriott, I figured those wouldn't be in the equation (maybe to protect their brand?).

Yes, I think it's been Clarion or maybe Hampton Inn (?), definitely Best Western, but not sure if they've been in any more desirable chains like Marriotts yet.

I think that Yarmouth place was a long-term weekly motel, not a hotel? And those tenants were suddenly met with impossible weekly rates to force them out for "migrants."

I wonder if Dedham's Holiday Inn and I think its Fairfield Inn is still housing them? Can't see why not, as the hotels are getting great guaranteed income. Aren't most or all the hotels involved under contract for a year or two to house them? So it's not likely to change.

And did I hear the Dedham Hilton was also involved? Hmmm....if so, that's also more upscale than the ones they've been in.

We have platinum elite status with Marriott. I can tell you this much---the Fairfield Inn in Dedham is a dump (not happy about that and let Marriott know in so many words that they should be ashamed to have it in their portfolio). The place is old. When I was a kid, it was called Hotel 128. Somewhere along the line Marriott took it over (why, I don't know).

So, now I wonder how many other Marriott properties are hosting so-called "migrants" in MA.

Thank you to all who responded to my post!

Old 01-05-2024, 04:46 PM

3,584 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Quote:
Of course, they don't speak English? I guess an interpreter must accompany them.

Oh, and back to the general topic for a moment:

I wonder if they're shunned, maybe misunderstood by the other students? I guess it depends how the students' parents discuss the "migrants."

Hmmm...and I think Woburn was one of the first communities here to house them in hotel(s). Seems we haven't heard of any major or even minor issues there so far.

But are these folks still seen walking along some busv roadways to Target and such...I think someone here had mentioned sightings in Plainville, maybe Attleboro?
But I thought I had read that some private shuttles were available for them? Maybe the schedule isn't compatible at times with some of these folks, or they get impatient waiting for transportation as well as restless and bored and need to wander to the stores.

I think it was mentioned here it was seen in Attleboro, maybe Plainville? That won't be safe when it's snowy and icey this weekend...and it's not fair to any motorist who could slide into them in winter weather.

Did I read somewhere that some or many of these hotels now have replaced the regular hotel sign with a generic banner or blank sign?
No, these migrants aren't prepared for winter here. I don't think they've ever seen snow in person before and they certainly didn't come w/proper clothing b/c they've been getting winter gear donated to them. Maybe with winter some realities will set in and they'll head back south to FL or wherever?

Old 01-05-2024, 05:06 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We are hoping to go to MA this summer. One of my cousins and her husband bought a house on the Cape. She plans to have a family gathering in late summer. Since I follow the threads here, I've learned that at least (maybe more?) one hotel in Yarmouth is now filled with "migrants".

This has me wondering if we will be able to find a decent hotel should we attend the gathering. They will be living on the western end of the Cape near the bridges.

Does anyone know how long they're keeping "migrants" in the hotels? If they still are in hotels when we plan to visit, would it be difficult to find a decent hotel for ourselves? Thank you in advance for any info.
Stop............

These migrants are being housed in crappy motels, not 3 star and up so anywhere you would stay they won't be.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:27 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Stop............

These migrants are being housed in crappy motels, not 3 star and up so anywhere you would stay they won't be.
Thanks for the info^^^^. My cousin wants everybody to RSVP before the beginning of June. I will be looking at the hotel situation well before the response deadline.

Old 01-06-2024, 05:21 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Stop............

Oh yes, they certainly are being housed in 3 star hotels. What made you think otherwise?

Old 01-06-2024, 06:14 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Of course, they don't speak English? I guess an interpreter must accompany them.

Oh, and back to the general topic for a moment:

I wonder if they're shunned, maybe misunderstood by the other students? I guess it depends how the students' parents discuss the "migrants."

Hmmm...and I think Woburn was one of the first communities here to house them in hotel(s). Seems we haven't heard of any major or even minor issues there so far.

But are these folks still seen walking along some busv roadways to Target and such...I think someone here had mentioned sightings in Plainville, maybe Attleboro?
But I thought I had read that some private shuttles were available for them? Maybe the schedule isn't compatible at times with some of these folks, or they get impatient waiting for transportation as well as restless and bored and need to wander to the stores.

I think it was mentioned here it was seen in Attleboro, maybe Plainville? That won't be safe when it's snowy and icey this weekend...and it's not fair to any motorist who could slide into them in winter weather.

Did I read somewhere that some or many of these hotels now have replaced the regular hotel sign with a generic banner or blank sign?
That was me that mentioned seeing the migrants, walking up and down Rt 1 in plainville and No Attleboro. Many of the motels on Rt 1south of the Target Stop& Shop in Plainville are under contract. So from time to time the migrants head to nearby stores and Emerald Sq Mall. It is very dangerous especially that Rt 1 stretch from the Plainville Comfort Inn to Target. Literally one must walk on Rt 1.

OP even the expensive Hampton Inn in No Attleboro went under contract recently. Its been reported 200 migrants are living there. So even some of the nicer expensive hotels have decided to participate.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:56 AM

5,124 posts, read 6,123,485 times
We always try to read the reviews when searching for hotels even the brand group we are loyal to. When we were looking for lodging over Christmas for our visit to RI we noticed some of the hotels reviews mentioned that there were quite a few extended stay patrons (families) at some of the property’s and the hotel wasn’t as clean as it should be.

When traveling alone without my family to save a bit of money I stay at a Best Western or Comfort Inn that is older and has outside room entry. These usually go for $105 a night and I can definitely say these are quickly becoming extended stay hotels.

I have never felt any danger but definitely notice household trash outside some of the hotel room doors along with cat food on plates and at the limited breakfast bar the policing of verifying your room key and the number of those in your party.

Everyone needs a place to stay and I am fine with that just I am noticing hotel experiences are changing.

On a closing note when staying at a fairly new property in Smithfield, NC on the way to RI, when checking in the front desk there was a sign that no one was allowed to book a room if they lived within a 60 mile radius of the hoteL.??????

Old 01-06-2024, 08:02 AM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
these folks have a right to shelter, it's the law. I'm sure social services try to do it economically, but the right to shelter law supercedes the cost when housing is tight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts