Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2024, 11:05 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
For example Salem State is 22% Latino this year and is banking on becoming 25% Latino (Western Connecticut State just received the designation)in the next 2/3 years so that it can access federal designation as a Hispanic serving institution and access a litany of federal grant money and program.
Why is the federal government paying a school just because they get more Hispanic students? What difference does it make to them? Not to mention, if Salem State goes from 22% to 25% Hispanic, that means that some other race declined. Why is the federal government actively promoting the diminution of some other race? (Care to guess which race they want to see decline?)

I can avoid the Mass Mess by not living in Massachusetts. But it infuriates me that the federal government is using my money to actively discriminate against me and people like me, based solely on having the "wrong" skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 11:20 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Why is the federal government paying a school just because they get more Hispanic students? What difference does it make to them? Not to mention, if Salem State goes from 22% to 25% Hispanic, that means that some other race declined. Why is the federal government actively promoting the diminution of some other race? (Care to guess which race they want to see decline?)

I can avoid the Mass Mess by not living in Massachusetts. But it infuriates me that the federal government is using my money to actively discriminate against me and people like me, based solely on having the "wrong" skin color.
^This is the flawed "zero sum" thinking that runs rampant on this topic. One group is being "advantaged" (more realistically--having the playing field leveled for them), therefore another group must be getting screwed. We used to believe that a rising tide lifts all boats!

The day that Salem State denies admission to qualified white males, let me know.

Old 04-11-2024, 11:57 AM

16,293 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Many colleges are doing the same thing to make themselves more diverse...but in order to do that it seems they have to give it away for free.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:01 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
^This is the flawed "zero sum" thinking that runs rampant on this topic. One group is being "advantaged" (more realistically--having the playing field leveled for them), therefore another group must be getting screwed. We used to believe that a rising tide lifts all boats!

The day that Salem State denies admission to qualified white males, let me know.
The only way that a rising tide would lift all boats in this instance is if Salem State is expanding the total number of admission slots that it has available. I'll admit that I don't know whether it is doing this or not. If it is, then you are correct, everyone benefits (albeit at uneven rates). But if their total number of slots is fixed, then it is by definition a "zero sum" situation. And if a greater percentage of one group is being admitted, then by definition a smaller percentage of some other group (or groups) is being admitted.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The only way that a rising tide would lift all boats in this instance is if Salem State is expanding the total number of admission slots that it has available. I'll admit that I don't know whether it is doing this or not. If it is, then you are correct, everyone benefits (albeit at uneven rates). But if their total number of slots is fixed, then it is by definition a "zero sum" situation. And if a greater percentage of one group is being admitted, then by definition a smaller percentage of some other group (or groups) is being admitted.
^at that particular school, maybe. But the broader landscape is, whites have historically had many many more options where they can be admitted on a level playing field (and I'm being generous), even in the unlikely event that Salem State limits numbers.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:21 PM

so people who aren't white should be given things for free to level the playing field?

Last edited by msRB311; 04-11-2024 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-11-2024, 12:58 PM

4,252 posts, read 1,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
^at that particular school, maybe. But the broader landscape is, whites have historically had many many more options where they can be admitted on a level playing field (and I'm being generous), even in the unlikely event that Salem State limits numbers.
This is a problem for you? Sounds almost.....I don't even want to use the word.

Old 04-11-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
This is a problem for you? Sounds almost.....I don't even want to use the word.
What problem? I'm merely answering the other post.

Old 04-11-2024, 01:54 PM

958 posts, read 530,986 times
If colleges cannot attract enough people well, they should close then. Maybe they are not offering meaningful degrees? Just check acceptance rates in top colleges. They do not seem to have any problems attracting people.

Old 04-11-2024, 01:56 PM

I would think the focus of most colleges should be to attract people at this point...who cares what color they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts