Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:52 AM

372 posts, read 144,417 times

Advertisements

I paid a fortune for my house (at least what felt like a fortune to me). I still want the town to utilize its access to transit by building more densely in those areas. I don't want them to clear forest to achieve it, and frankly they don't need to. There's a lot of open, poorly-developed areas that could be greatly improved through proper development and I support that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:52 AM

16,449 posts, read 8,242,983 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Why Boston will continue to lose young people to other cities

The battle over eating spaghetti outside in the North End is just part of Boston’s stubbornly stuffy attitude toward entertainment, dining, and nightlife.

I really blame the state though. If they wont remove the cap on liquor licenses in Boston (which Healey recently shelved due to pressure from Mariano) i'ts always going to remain behind.

Tbh though repealing the liquor license cap would ramp up the gentrification of Eastie, Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan and Hyde Park exponentially. Might relieve the demand on core areas of the city and ramp up demand on these areas. Once theres chic places to eat out, property values would rise and so would foot traffic.

Butits funny a restaurant that serves liquor being the barometer for fun is absolutely crazy. Thats standard anywhere elsein the world. Theres soo much more that fun besides lounges/clubs/and clubstaraunts and Boston is lacking in some of those options too.
I could really care less if theres outdoor eating at the north end...but there's plenty of places in the state you can go to if you want to eat outside. Dorchester has outdoor dining spots and so does hyde park

Old Today, 09:58 AM

21,665 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
lol, there you go. Nope not all their fault. If anything townies are horrified by how much their homes are worth today. And yes they are absolutely paying over asking. Wake up.

I dont even live in the town I grew up in so I don't consider myself a townie. I think you like to paint anyone who is from MA originally as a townie.

For you it all comes back to waaah, Boston is racist, anyone born here is racist.
Townies control every facet of their towns. It's 100% their fault. They run the state government and the local government. They're only frustrated by the outcomes of their own decisions.

This has nothing to do with racism, As you may recall- I was born in MA. Boston and MA isn't the only place this happens either. San Francisco, LA, and Connecticut are notorious offenders....Its going so well for them.

But yea anyone born in MA who isn't from one of the 100k+ cities AND hasn't lived in another state? That person is a townie until further notice. Moving from Medway to Dedham or/we... thats still a townie.. all you know is your local towns. And they run governments at the local level.

Say its not true all you want but the evidence is screaming and staring at you in the face.

Old Today, 10:05 AM

23,624 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Townies control every facet of their towns. It's 100% their fault. They run the state government and the local government. They're only frustrated by the outcomes of their own decisions.

This has nothing to do with racism, As you may recall- I was born in MA. Boston and MA isn't the only place this happens either. San Francisco, LA, and Connecticut are notorious offenders....Its going so well for them.

But yea anyone born in MA who isn't from one of the 100k+ cities AND hasn't lived in another state? That person is a townie until further notice. Moving from Medway to Dedham or/we... thats still a townie.. all you know is your local towns. And they run governments at the local level.

Say its not true all you want but the evidence is screaming and staring at you in the face.
As a non-townie by your definition, I again ask you what the transplants have done rectify the situation. The people who now dominate state politics. Maura Healey owes her election to their in migration (as well as the departed "townies"). What has she done to increase affordability?

Old Today, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I could really care less if theres outdoor eating at the north end...but there's plenty of places in the state you can go to if you want to eat outside. Dorchester has outdoor dining spots and so does hyde park
Without happy hour there is no communal social drinking culture that you have in other states. It's weird in MA. Makes the bars much less appealing and less well attended. In most cities- including in Baltimore, even in the ghettoes- all the bars have deep online menus and websites that are updated and list specials.

In Boston bars in Dorchester or Hyde Park dont have a website, or if they do they don't have menus, or if they do it's a picture of an old menu. No one knows when to go to the bar for the social atmosphere because there is no advertised happy hour. People feel awkward attending and no one else is there and they stay for shorter spans. That's just bar science. When people stay for shorter spans of time it kicks of a negative feedback cycle that leads to more solo drinkers who feel self-conscious and leave the bar.

So when you go it's sparsly attended and you have no idea what to expect from the bar. They can get away with this because 1) there is extremely limited competition for patrons and 2) they sunk all their money into a liquor license and will perpetually operate on a bare-bones model.

What ends up happening is they charge 2x what a drink is here in Bmore and thusly very few people ever come, its compounded by the fact that theres no vibe. So then a place truncates its hours, and the negative feedback cycle begins again.

The issue with the liquor license cap is its based on a 1920s model of residents- to license ratio. Back then tourism and even intrastate travel was very negligible in comparison to today. So now theres an inadequate number of bars per total person who visit Boston in any given year.

But this is where you need non-townie leadership that isn't good buddies with the local tavern owner.

Old Today, 10:10 AM

10,033 posts, read 15,683,188 times
I guess I'm a townie then, at least a part time one now.

Old Today, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
As a non-townie by your definition, I again ask you what the transplants have done rectify the situation. The people who now dominate state politics. Maura Healey owes her election to their in migration (as well as the departed "townies"). What has she done to increase affordability?
They dont dominate state politics because they're not afforded an opportuntiy to. They may do well in Boston, but even there its contentious. Boston is henpecked by the state.

Maura grew up in New Hampshire and has always had family in Massachusetts she frequently visited. She's an educated townie.

Kim Driscoll isn't a townie and is actually pushing for housing and you see how the Milton and Marshfield townies are reacting.

Maura is trying to help to but she has to battle her fellow townies over mall parking lots and abandoned airports and shtt. lmao... its honestly so pathetic its laughable.

Old Today, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I guess I'm a townie then, at least a part time one now.
If you've lived out of state.... you're not a townie. You have actual perspective. Ive been to that region of SC..its very different. You cant go live there and not look at your area differently.

To be a townie IMO you have to be full-time dedicated to the figurative myopia.

Old Today, 10:19 AM

23,624 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
They dont dominate state politics because they're not afforded an opportuntiy to. They may do well in Boston, but even there its contentious. Boston is henpecked by the state.

Maura grew up in New Hampshire and has always had family in Massachusetts she frequently visited. She's an educated townie.

Kim Driscoll isn't a townie and is actually pushing for housing and you see how the Milton and Marshfield townies are reacting.

Maura is trying to help to but she has to battle her fellow townies over mall parking lots and abandoned airports and shtt. lmao... its honestly so pathetic its laughable.
Milton and Marshfield are pushing back against the Baker strong arming forcing types of housing the NOBODY wants and that will arguably not help matters much. It's not the answer.

Old Today, 10:29 AM

372 posts, read 144,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Baker strong arming forcing types of housing the NOBODY wants

Ah yes, a totally reasonable comment and not at all full of hyperbole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts