Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2023, 01:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
HE stock (the electric company) is down almost 40%:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hawai...155131916.html

"Hawaiian Electric Industries' shares plunged nearly 40% to a 13-year low in early trading on Monday amid growing scrutiny over whether the utility company's equipment played any role in the deadly wildfires that burnt through the coastal Maui town of Lahaina...."
Fortunately for Hawaiian Electric the legal standard for them to be negligent is a much higher bar than California when those utilities were sued
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 02:03 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,549,432 times
Interview with a family that was on vacation, visiting Lahania for dinner, and ended up in the water with five kids - amazing they survived. I wonder how many tourists were walking around the waterfront at the moment the fire came through. Hard to imagine being on a vacation, in a gorgeous tropical location, in the middle of summer, and find yourself in the middle of something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VjPt7ucGRY

Old 08-14-2023, 03:58 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
Potentially there are over a thousand people unaccounted for.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/climate/...0-18290721.php

Old 08-14-2023, 04:50 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Have the Coast Guard and US Navy ships been sent to the area to help provide relief aid? Large ships can produce fresh drinking water as well as act as a makeshift shelter with cots, clean drinking water, food, and medical aid. These ships can also use helicopters to transport survivors as needed. Just saw evening news report FEMA is there. I’ve dealt with FEMA & Red Cross after multiple hurricanes. They make things worse sometimes. Better for them to provide aid support to state organizations.

Old 08-14-2023, 05:08 PM
SFX

1,638 posts, read 894,766 times
People who were there, and survived, have posted videos on X showing a lot of what actually happened. Rather than try and post them all, I advise doing searches there.

Be warned, a lot of political and conspiracy theory stuff is clogging up the plumbing there. I saw footage that definitely looks like power lines starting multiple fires. The very real problem is people are also posting fake/deception video, so I recommend skepticism.

here is an example

https://twitter.com/Truthpole/status...408055297?s=20

Last edited by SFX; 08-14-2023 at 05:16 PM..

Old 08-14-2023, 05:24 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Potentially there are over a thousand people unaccounted for.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/climate/...0-18290721.php
That's a lot of people!

Hard to believe that only 3% of the area has been thoroughly searched for survivors or the dead, as I've read recently.

Authorities keep saying the final death toll will be much higher. It's incredible how fast the fires swept through Lahaina.

Old 08-14-2023, 05:42 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Have the Coast Guard and US Navy ships been sent to the area to help provide relief aid? Large ships can produce fresh drinking water as well as act as a makeshift shelter with cots, clean drinking water, food, and medical aid. These ships can also use helicopters to transport survivors as needed. Just saw evening news report FEMA is there. I’ve dealt with FEMA & Red Cross after multiple hurricanes. They make things worse sometimes. Better for them to provide aid support to state organizations.
FEMA has contracts with cruise ship companies, they can and do lease them for housing people after disasters, including aid workers.

Another option is to transport them somewhere else. One time I stayed at hotel in New Jersey and most of the rooms were taken by people who were homeless after Katrina. The hotel normally had a free breakfast anyway but they added a "light dinner" to the amenities and it was available to all the guests.

Old 08-14-2023, 06:11 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,113,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
HE stock (the electric company) is down almost 40%:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hawai...155131916.html

"Hawaiian Electric Industries' shares plunged nearly 40% to a 13-year low in early trading on Monday amid growing scrutiny over whether the utility company's equipment played any role in the deadly wildfires that burnt through the coastal Maui town of Lahaina...."

It's damned near impossible to completely 100% secure those wires against storms

AND (not damned near) but IMPOSSIBLE to drill through that rock and hide them all underground.

Old 08-14-2023, 06:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
It's damned near impossible to completely 100% secure those wires against storms
No storm - wind.

The argument being made is they should have turned off the power to those lines - rather than energized lines being toppled over and creating sparks.

Old 08-14-2023, 06:20 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,113,942 times
Oahu residents especially Kaneohe know how those HV wires are draped over and down the Ko'olau ranges. I shudder when I see them, then realize/remember there really was no other reasonable way to do it back then. AFAIK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui