Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 11:40 AM

30,498 posts, read 16,202,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post

glad you mentioned this. was trying to find a place to donate to that wasn't greedy and settled on this one.

Those poor people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 12:52 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
glad you mentioned this. was trying to find a place to donate to that wasn't greedy and settled on this one.
Those poor people.

Link was in Mikala's suggestion. They seem legit.

Old 08-10-2023, 01:34 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,171 times
Quote:
Mikala,
In tears here.

What's the most effective way to donate right now?
Thank-you
Tantalust
ATTORNEY GENERAL LOPEZ CAUTIONS THOSE SEEKING TO DONATE TO VICTIMS OF THE MAUI WILDFIRES TO AVOID SCAMS
As Hawai‘i residents start to organize resources and solicit donations to help the victims of wildfires devastating West Maui, Attorney General Anne Lopez is alerting residents to use caution when choosing where to send their money and donations.
“I know that the people of Hawaiʻi will come to the aid of our families, neighbors and communities,” says Attorney General Lopez. “We are already seeing various fundraising efforts being promoted on social media platforms and online. In moments of crisis, we all must be extra vigilant against bad actors who try to take advantage of people’s goodwill.”
Before making a donation, all donors are urged to keep following tips in mind:
If you donate, donate to trusted, well-known charities. Beware of scammers who create fake charities during natural disasters. Always verify a charity’s legitimacy through its official website. If someone is fundraising on behalf of a charity you are familiar with, the best practice is to donate directly to that charity.
Verify that the charity is legitimate. Any charity that solicits donation in Hawaiʻi must be registered with the Department of the Attorney General, and its status can be verified here
. There are also a number of independent online sources you can use to verify that a charity is legitimate, including the following:
IRS Tax Exempt Organization Search: https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/
Charity Navigator: https://www.charitynavigator.org/
DCCA Business Search: https://hbe.ehawaii.gov/documents/search.html
Stay away from suspicious donation requests and be mindful of the following scammer’s tactics:
Rushing you into making a donation. Don’t let anyone rush you into making a donation. Take your time to do your research.
Asking you to make a donation using cash or gift card. Most legitimate charities will accept credit card and check donations.
Using names that sound a lot like the names of real charities. This is one reason it pays to do some research before giving.
Scammers make lots of vague and sentimental claims but give no specifics about how your donation will be used.
Charity Scam Resources and Complaints
For more information about charity scams and tips to avoid such scams, potential donors are encouraged to review the Department of the Attorney General’s donor education flyer (available here
). Donors with any questions or complaints about a scam charity can contact the Tax & Charities Division at (808) 586-1480 or by sending an email to ATG.Charities@hawaii.gov.
Hawaii.gov
PORTAL.EHAWAII.GOV
Hawaii.gov
Find resources for Government, Residents, Business and Visitors on Hawaii.gov.
Business Registration Division - Search for Business Entity & Documents
HBE.EHAWAII.GOV
Business Registration Division - Search for Business Entity & Documents
Hawaii Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs, Business Registration Division's, Hawaii Business Express - Search for Business Entity & Documents

Old 08-10-2023, 01:45 PM

30,498 posts, read 16,202,768 times
Quote:
Link was in Mikala's suggestion. They seem legit.

didn't realize the link was to the same site.

Old 08-10-2023, 01:55 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG19J View Post
Hearing stories about how folks barely had time to escape the flames, no warnings. My family is on Oahu and didn't really hear about how bad this really was. This may end up being one of the deadliest US wildfires in recent history.
The deadliest wild fire in recent U.S. history was the 2018 Camp Fire in California, when 85 people died. I pray that number will not be topped in this, or future, wildfires.

Wildfires seldom give warnings, especially at night. If the winds are blowing hard (as they were here), then the fire moves quickly and often erratically. Even if the wind isn't blowing, once a wildfire gets going it can create it's own wind, generated by the flames.

And you can see a fire on a distant hillside and think you are safe while meanwhile embers are blowing starting fires closer to where you are without you realizing new fires are starting. Having been through several wildfires that came within yards of my home in So. California, they are very scary to witness because they move so quickly and unpredictably.

Again, my thoughts are with everyone affected, especially those who have lost loved ones.

Old 08-10-2023, 02:07 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,492,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I hope Futuremauian is okay. He's said he lives in west Maui.
Okay, I had a wrong posted date and edited. I hope he's okay too.

Last edited by elan; 08-10-2023 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-10-2023, 02:08 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The deadliest wild fire in recent U.S. history was the 2018 Camp Fire in California, when 85 people died. I pray that number will not be topped in this, or future, wildfires.

Wildfires seldom give warnings, especially at night. If the winds are blowing hard (as they were here), then the fire moves quickly and often erratically. Even if the wind isn't blowing, once a wildfire gets going it can create it's own wind, generated by the flames.

And you can see a fire on a distant hillside and think you are safe while meanwhile embers are blowing starting fires closer to where you are without you realizing new fires are starting. Having been through several wildfires that came within yards of my home in So. California, they are very scary to witness because they move so quickly and unpredictably.

Again, my thoughts are with everyone affected, especially those who have lost loved ones.
The Camp fire was terrifying. So was the Tubbs fire that took my sister's home. I know that Maui and the Tubbs both had winds 60 mph or more.

So sad.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-10-2023, 02:58 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
He hasn't posted since July 4. He could be on vacation. I hope he's okay too.
His profile shows last activity was Monday night. Hopefully they bugged out and got to a shelter. He had two grandkids living with him.

Here's a post where he describes his location in more detail. I'm not familiar with the area, or where all the fire damage is located.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cali...l#post63665323

I've been reading this forum because we were planning a trip to Maui this coming winter. I still have a couple of vacation research tabs open in my browser.

Last edited by hikernut; 08-10-2023 at 03:09 PM..

Old 08-10-2023, 03:16 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,492,988 times
(I edited my post about the 4th) So he's in Honokowai, an instructor took my husband and daughter diving there. My husband later got certified in Maui.

Old 08-10-2023, 03:18 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, I remember him explaining that once. He worked there also and his two grandsons. I hope we hear from him. But, he's got his hands full right now if nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui