Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 04:59 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They will survive, saw these claims years ago that the NY Times and Wapo were going broke, they are doing just fine. Never understood why people hope that these great newspapers fail while they get their news from bloggers, Twitter and other 4th rate sources like the Gateway Pundit.
Wapo lost 100million this year, just fired their CEO and are laying off 10% of the staff.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/05/wash...10percent.html

The NYT is doing "ok".

Old 01-24-2024, 06:56 PM

1,291 posts, read 643,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Natural gas is abundant in this part of the country and power plants chose to switch to gas for obvious reasons. Hatchet job? Would you choose a 30 acre lot with men and machines moving coal onto conveyors or one gas line feeding the power plants?
We`re still treating mine acid drainage here from coal mines that were mined out decades ago. Seeing as how I live here, I don`t need to read nonsense from joke sources like Townhall and Breitbart.
When the marxist throwbacks outlaw natural gas you'll learn to code and be happy with it..

Old 01-24-2024, 08:48 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The Times has become a boring paper. Back when Trump was in the whole paper was their anguash about Trump. It was fun to read then.They even published a book length in several editions of their hatred for Trump and Republicans.
I would never give them one penny so I take a walk daily and fish the paper out of the blue bin, out of my whole neighborhood only one house gets the Times.

You should anonymously send that person a Christmas card next year

Old 01-24-2024, 09:55 PM

114 posts, read 46,213 times
The liberal politicians that rule Ca won’t be happy to lose their propaganda paper. I’m sure they’ll get them some money under the table to keep it open and running.

Old 01-25-2024, 03:17 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
No one has mentioned mismanagement by the owner of the LA Times, Patrick Soon-Shiong, the billionaire medical-doctor with a string of dodgy and questionable "treatments", widely panned in the medical community. Dr. Patrick, as he likes to be called, is a flamboyant businessman. Perhaps this flamboyance is coming around full-circle.

The LA Times may or may not be a rotten newspaper. But let's not forget the adage, that a fish starts rotting from the head, first.
Thank you!

NYT another similar publication is doing comparatively well.

"The New York Times now has more than 10 million subscribers, the company said on Wednesday, edging closer to its goal of 15 million by the end of 2027.

In its third-quarter report, The New York Times Company said it had added 210,000 net digital-only subscribers in the three months through September, giving it 9.41 million along with 670,000 print subscribers.

The Times Company has focused on getting subscribers to sign up for more than one of its offerings, which include the core news report, Cooking, Games, the Wirecutter review site and the sports news site The Athletic. Nearly 3.8 million of the 9.41 million digital-only subscribers are subscribed to at least two products, the company said."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/08/b...-earnings.html

However proving once again no good deed goes unpunished both tech billionaires; Soon-Shiong and Jeff Bezos are losing massive sums on their foray into news publishing.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...wrong-ec1d916d

Old 01-25-2024, 07:35 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
When I was growing up on the LA/OC county line, my parents got the Times for many years. They eventually switched to the OC Register because "the Times had become just too liberal." That was, oh, about 1984.

Forty years later, I'm a Register (and Epoch Times) reader myself amd I'm one of those dinosaurs that still gets print copies. Once or twice recently the Times was mistakenly delievered to me and I found it was so toxically progressive I could not even read it. The entire thing apeared to be propaganda. So I'm not surprised at what has just happened.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:00 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,109,065 times
I think it would be very sad if Los Angeles no longer had a flagship newspaper (even if entirely digital in form). I hope LAT, and the countless other “news” outlets that have gone in the same direction, can course correct. Perhaps interestingly, as a regular viewer of KCAL/CBSLA, I think they do a decent job of reporting the news objectively. Yes, they do tend to be a bit overzealous with the race stuff. But, not to the point of losing me as a viewer. Perhaps the LAT can take note.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:03 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,109,065 times
I should also add that I am aware there IS large demand for leftist propaganda. The problem for outlets is this propaganda is so ubiquitous that people can get their fill of it for free. The Associated Press, for example, is free. There’s no need to pay anyone for it. Of course, this is very bad for business.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:28 AM

2,502 posts, read 1,293,748 times
California passed laws against freelancing jobs.

Many offline and online news pay freelancers per article.
The new laws allow to write a set amount of articles per year, that's it.
So, most freelancers have been laid off.

Old 01-25-2024, 04:59 PM

5,102 posts, read 2,047,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The print media has so many mistakes that should make these snobs hang their heads in shame.

You don't need to have a college education to write the most basic sentences, correctly. You do have to quit being a snotty soy rag, actually do some work instead of spending all your time on X, IG, or at whatever hip cafe is in that day, and PROOFREAD that crap you just wrote! AI can take their job just as easily as it can many others. I don't care that they lost their jobs. Learn to code, and learn to spell.
I read on another forum, someone mentioned there was a time when once journalist was more of a blue collar job than a job with a college requirment but that changed during the 1970s-1980s. The current wave of journalists are more activists instead of being closer to John Q. Public.

There's one vlog who talk about the layoff at the LA Times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJQTmnNIF58
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media