Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 12:38 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,633 times

Advertisements

Much of my life has been spent reading and working at both of The Times, Los Angeles and New York, so I can say with informed certainty that there’s not one reason — poor ownership? mismanagement? economic shifts and systemic challenges? — that the LA operation is in so much worse shape than the one based in Manhattan. For now, the market has spoken that only one general lifestyle news brand, the NYT, is worth paying for (advertising is an ancillary revenue source for most legacy publications, big and small). It’s not bias/propaganda, on any kind of determinative scale.

Old 02-05-2024, 10:12 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,113,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
Much of my life has been spent reading and working at both of The Times, Los Angeles and New York, so I can say with informed certainty that there’s not one reason — poor ownership? mismanagement? economic shifts and systemic challenges? — that the LA operation is in so much worse shape than the one based in Manhattan. For now, the market has spoken that only one general lifestyle news brand, the NYT, is worth paying for (advertising is an ancillary revenue source for most legacy publications, big and small). It’s not bias/propaganda, on any kind of determinative scale.
On one hand, you correctly refer to the market having spoken on the LAT. For some reason, you don’t acknowledge that the obvious bias seen throughout the articles written in LAT contributes heavily to the market response.

The NYT also has a leftward bias, but they’ve tried to also include non-extremist views (like John McWhorter and some opinion writers). The LAT exclusively panders to leftist extremists (who call themselves ‘Progressive’). While there is demand for this brand of propaganda, there is ample supply available for free. So, there’s just no reason to pay for propaganda that is available for free elsewhere.

Old 02-05-2024, 04:55 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
I don't see any of the major newspapers losing subscriptions because of bias, it's more to do with readers leaning into social media and converting from paper to digital. Readers can look to other sources to confirm their opinions. Always interesting to see some of the sources from Alex Jones to Red State News that get posted on this forum.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:19 PM

26,742 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Is that why the Washington Post sends me emails offering subscriptions for $1 a week?
Or the N.Y. Times, or the Orange County Register, or nearly any newspaper today. I meant if one wanted to subscribe longer than for just the four to six week period during which the teaser rates are offered.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:44 PM

137 posts, read 65,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Or the N.Y. Times, or the Orange County Register, or nearly any newspaper today. I meant if one wanted to subscribe longer than for just the four to six week period during which the teaser rates are offered.
Again, as someone from LA, LA Slimes is progressive propaganda only white boomers read. It’s a racist news source that now caters to illegals as they know demographic destiny of California. I love when non-So Cal progressives pretend they know our politics when So Cal wasn’t progressive until illegals and Midwest/East coast far leftists started transforming our state into a dystopia of the white rich progressive and the illegals have nots, screwing us in the Middle Class.

PS - New York times? The newspaper is controlled by a Mexican billionaire that pushes leftist propaganda and illegal immigration while demonizing American citizens. LOL! Like the foreign controlled NewYork Slimes, LA Times is pure ideological propaganda from cretins that are not locals. Good riddance to the far leftist propaganda.

Last edited by Wrv2424; 02-05-2024 at 10:49 PM..

Old 02-08-2024, 07:37 AM

"Every day, what’s left of the once-mighty ranks of reporters across this country tap out stories meant to inform, entertain and expose.

Sometimes they are the work of minutes, the first bits of knowledge on breaking news such as fires, storms or even elections. Sometimes they are investigations that have taken years.

Inevitably, as soon as we publish, rich dudes with algorithms come in and sweep this work away for their own profit, like deodorant off a Target shelf. Every. Single. Story.

Retail theft is causing a civic meltdown and inspiring a ballot measure to incarcerate repeat toothpaste thieves.

But billionaire tech bros dismantling democracy for profit, stealing thousands of times a minute by selling advertising against something they don’t own? That barely gets a shrug, even as more media professionals are laid off, more publications close, and reliable information becomes so scarce and hard to spot that truth itself has become political.

“It’s sad on many levels,” state Sen. Tom Umberg told me when I asked him what he thought of recent layoffs in media — including the loss of more than 100 of my colleagues at this paper, and cuts at other publications including the Wall Street Journal, Time, Condé Nast and the Messenger.

In all, nearly 600 news jobs were cut in January."

https://www.challengergray.com/blog/...ial-tech-lead/

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...s-news-outlets

Old 02-08-2024, 08:29 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,406,335 times
i realize this thread started out about a newspaper on the left coast and has morphed across the country to include both coast's newspaper. so, i will interject my opinion on newspaper's demise.

i was born, raised in the middle of the country and started life reading a regional paper at my parents house as a preteen. i would go to school and read all available papers. (two state and some locals) i even had a newspaper delivered to my deer camp during hunting season for years. i loved newspapers.

in our 75+ years old family business, we have advertised in newspapers for decades and decades. as the owner/operator of the business, i stop all print media ads about 10 years ago. the reason was very simple, we were not getting any noticeable response from the print ads.

i still read two daily papers and two weekly papers, all digital. i don't even know a friend, family member or business associate that reads any newspapers, paper or digital.

Old 02-08-2024, 03:49 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,113,673 times
Quote:
"Every day, what’s left of the once-mighty ranks of reporters across this country tap out stories meant to inform, entertain and expose.

Sometimes they are the work of minutes, the first bits of knowledge on breaking news such as fires, storms or even elections. Sometimes they are investigations that have taken years.

Inevitably, as soon as we publish, rich dudes with algorithms come in and sweep this work away for their own profit, like deodorant off a Target shelf. Every. Single. Story.

Retail theft is causing a civic meltdown and inspiring a ballot measure to incarcerate repeat toothpaste thieves.

But billionaire tech bros dismantling democracy for profit, stealing thousands of times a minute by selling advertising against something they don’t own? That barely gets a shrug, even as more media professionals are laid off, more publications close, and reliable information becomes so scarce and hard to spot that truth itself has become political.

“It’s sad on many levels,” state Sen. Tom Umberg told me when I asked him what he thought of recent layoffs in media — including the loss of more than 100 of my colleagues at this paper, and cuts at other publications including the Wall Street Journal, Time, Condé Nast and the Messenger.

In all, nearly 600 news jobs were cut in January."

https://www.challengergray.com/blog/...ial-tech-lead/

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...s-news-outlets
I didn’t click the LAT link on purpose. But, is it seriously arguing that the FREE MARKET- which is as democratic as anything can possibly be- deciding that the business model and approach taken by these media companies is not viable amounts to “dismantling democracy”? What a stupid thing to say. Moreover, it amounts to yet further evidence that the media orgs see themselves not as disseminators of factual news, but as activist players in society. These orgs simply must be allowed to fail.

Old 02-08-2024, 05:26 PM

The Collapse of Newspapers Puts Democracy in Peril:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/26/o...ournalism.html

Old 02-08-2024, 07:16 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,863,789 times
Quote:
The Collapse of Newspapers Puts Democracy in Peril:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/26/o...ournalism.html
I see that the NYTimes incorrectly spelled "Bias" as "Collapse".

The print media is absolutely its own worst enemy. They are discovering that peddling a biased agenda, instead of reporting on FACTS, is bad for business.

The LA Times will continue to stumble along, as smooth and coherent as a Joe Biden speech. The death knell will likely come by 2028, as there's only so many millions of losses that the billionaire owner will be willing to tolerate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media