Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 12:38 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
FWIW, the only person in the US to die from Omicron so far was unvaccinated but had already had Covid. Previous infection does not guarantee immunity.
So by your logic it’s ok to just be sick and incapacitated from Omicron because your probably not going to die ?

Old 12-31-2021, 01:22 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
That protection has been shown to be incomplete. Getting vaccinated significantly increases that protection, so why not?

This is a frivolous argument in light of the fact that 243 million Americans have already had at least one vaccination. As a test sample size, that's probably a thousand times the usual size of a long term trial. In other words, it is very well known what the risks are of injury or death from getting vaccinated. It is very low, especially when compared to the risk of death from Covid itself.
My sister’s family got COVID twice without a vaccine. First time was pretty bad. However, second time they got it their symptoms were far less than the first time. Their experience is about on par with those vaccinated who got infected again. Please cite “studies”. Currently the FDA is fighting against releasing studies until 2096
https://www.rt.com/usa/542616-fda-ye...assify-pfizer/
Frivolous argument?
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...me-pilots-quit
https://parenting.uwhealth.org/2016/...birth-defects/

The first link is why I’m skeptical of approved vaccines. The second link is why I’m for men and women looking to start a family being cautious on what they allow in their bodies when trying to conceive or are already pregnant.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:01 PM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Therefore all 350Million of us are going to die from this disease? Is that your contention?

Are you saying that these vaccines will never have any effect?
The vaccines will cause 10,000 times fewer deaths than if the same people caught Covid and were not vaccinated. that's the entire goal of vaccines - protect from the disease while accepting that there will be injuries to a small subset of the population caused by the vaccine.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:22 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The vaccines will cause 10,000 times fewer deaths than if the same people caught Covid and were not vaccinated. that's the entire goal of vaccines - protect from the disease while accepting that there will be injuries to a small subset of the population caused by the vaccine.
If it could potentially cause deaths then it should be voluntary.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:35 PM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If it could potentially cause deaths then it should be voluntary.
Every vaccine causes deaths. The pertussis vaccine has a 1 in 300,000 of death. Catching pertussis(whooping cough) you have a 1 in 300 chance of dying. Measles vaccine has a mortality rate of 1 in one million, but the disease kills 1 or 2 per 1000 cases, and also causes deafness and fatal encephalitis. A measles infection can also cause the body to lose immunity to other diseases, but the vaccine doesn't do that.

Do you really think people should be allowed to forego vaccines simply because they are afraid of dying from the vaccine with a 1000 or more times smaller chance than of dying from the disease?

Old 12-31-2021, 11:40 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I got the vaccine because I don’t want to be locked down on base and/or fired. Also, another minor reason, my company gave me $250 to get it.

I wear a mask because I don’t want to be kicked out of a facility and/or fired.

I social distance because I don’t want to be kicked out of a facility and/or fired.

If none of those reasons existed, I would not have gotten the vaccine, nor would I wear a mask or social distance.

The reason why I didn’t want to get the vaccine? I firmly believe I already had Covid twice. But not only that, I spent nearly two decades in the PACOM AOR and I believe I have been exposed to previous corona viruses. I’ve had sinus problems where I temporarily lost my sense of smell back 15 years ago when I was stationed in Korea. I didn’t realize it at the time, but looking back, that was obviously some kind of corona related virus.

So the main problem is that there is no avenue for people who have been exposed and don’t need to get a vaccine. In a perfect world, everyone would get an anti body test before getting the vaccine. Obviously, we don’t live in that world, so everyone is being pushed to get a vaccine.

I don’t agree with that policy. As far as the handful of people who allegedly have a severe negative reaction to the vaccine, well, that happens. People get cancer or get hit by a bus or a train. That’s life.
Let's get this straight. You "firmly believe" you had Covid twice, but apparently you never tested positive or you would have stated that. You then claim that someone who has been exposed does not need to get a vaccine. Would you kindly explain how you were able to get Covid the second time while at the same time not needing a vaccination after the first?

Are you somehow under the impression that you are currently protected by some kind of "natural immunity" after your second episode of contracting the virus that you were not protected by after the first? What makes you think this "natural immunity" is sufficiently robust to protect you and will be permanent?

Old 01-01-2022, 06:03 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
So by your logic it’s ok to just be sick and incapacitated from Omicron because your probably not going to die ?
It’s the same outcome for vaccinated. We’ve gone over this a hundred times. Vaccinated are getting Omicron at record levels and “everyone” is not dying, especially the younger demographics that are in the military.

Recap: Masks don’t work. Vaccines don’t prevent Covid. Omicron has the mildest Covid symptoms of any variant. Mandates are working their way thru the courts with mixed results.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Goal of vaccines is to first prevent the virus, which the Covid vaccines do not. They don’t even reduce getting Covid. Your argument is “if it saves more lives, for the young, then require Covid vaccines despite ineffectiveness towards prevention, increasing transmissions, while some die due to vaccine reactions”.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Let's get this straight. You "firmly believe" you had Covid twice, but apparently you never tested positive or you would have stated that. You then claim that someone who has been exposed does not need to get a vaccine. Would you kindly explain how you were able to get Covid the second time while at the same time not needing a vaccination after the first?

Are you somehow under the impression that you are currently protected by some kind of "natural immunity" after your second episode of contracting the virus that you were not protected by after the first? What makes you think this "natural immunity" is sufficiently robust to protect you and will be permanent?
The Covid vaccines also don’t “permanently protect you”. Even booster after booster after booster doesn’t permanently protect you.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:27 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The Covid vaccines also don’t “permanently protect you”. Even booster after booster after booster doesn’t permanently protect you.
Neither does the tetanus vaccine (booster every 10 years). I suppose that's not a vaccine now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.