Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 04:06 AM

4,668 posts, read 4,032,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
Entire soundtrack to Valley Girl. Most of the songs did not become big hits.
The entire soundtrack? I'd have to disagree. Sure, some of the songs on the soundtrack were pretty much just filler and never would have been hits under any circumstance. But others were in fact huge hits in the 1980's.

The Plimsouls "A Million Miles Away", Men At Work "Who Can It Be Now?", Psychedelic Furs "Love My Way" were all in heavy rotation on radio and MTV. The Payolas "Eyes Of A Stranger" not only received the same treatment but was also used in an episode of Miami Vice.

Josie Cotton, Gary Myrick, The Flirts, Sparks and Felony may not have charted on Billboard, but I guarantee that any radio station in the 1980's that was worth a damn and had a New Wave format, played their songs. I can still remember the stink made over Josie Cotton's "Johnny Are You *****?"

Lastly, "I Melt With You" by Modern English was not only a hit song, but is probably the one song that comes to mind before any other when those of us who grew up in the 80's think back to that time. Even today, when that song comes on, I remember 1983, being a senior in high school, dancing to it at prom and at more parties then I can count.

Maybe it has to do with where you lived at the time or drawing a distinction between whether a song was a hit when measured by conventional methods or just extremely popular. I don't know. But when I think about truly obscure hits from the 1980's, the songs on the "Valley Girl" soundtrack don't qualify, at least to my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 07:12 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,625,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
I loved this band. They opened for "Journey" once.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:17 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
The other one from Lou Gramm was Midnite Blue
Not a Lou Gramm or Foreigner fan in the least, but I do believe that "Midnight Blue" is one helluva fabulous song.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:09 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Just thought of another one!
Never knew a video existed for it as I only heard it on the radio ... what a cheesy video ...

YouTube - Rhythm Corps - Common Ground

Old 06-23-2008, 08:41 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
Men At Work "Who Can It Be Now?"

"I Melt With You" by Modern English was not only a hit song, but is probably the one song that comes to mind before any other when those of us who grew up in the 80's think back to that time.
That Modern English one is still being beaten to death to this day,using it in commercials etc etc.

As far as Men at Work,I don't remember which obscure songs of theirs were actually hits but they had many other decent songs besides the one aforementioned,at least up to the Cargo album. After that I'm not sure.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:23 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
How about Julie Brown's hits? The woman definitely had her niche - I loved the videos too:

YouTube - Julie Brown - Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun

YouTube - Cause I'm a Blond

YouTube - Julie Brown "Trapped in the Body of a White Girl"

And this one goes out to 6/3 - it's a parody of Madonna's Like a Virgin

YouTube - Julie Brown Parody of Madonna's "Like A Virgin"

Old 06-23-2008, 10:29 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not a Lou Gramm or Foreigner fan in the least, but I do believe that "Midnight Blue" is one helluva fabulous song.
I saw REM up at Michigan State in 1989 or 90 ... it was the Work Tour. Anyway, Stipe sang that song and he had to use a lyric sheet. I don't know it it's because he didn't have time to learn the song, or if he was simply thumbing his nose at the song.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Check out the Greatest 80's New Wave video that never was as it's off the 80's movie ''The Last Dragon'' as it's a fictional New Wave group but i probably would have bought the song and followed the group if they were real. The song is called Dirty Books . Got to be a guy song and video....lol....

YouTube - Dirty Books

Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 AM

539 posts, read 1,804,150 times
Almost any song from a Richard Blade/KROQ compilation album would fit the bill of an "obscure hit?"

Old 06-23-2008, 01:26 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
How about Julie Brown's hits? The woman definitely had her niche - I loved the videos too:

Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun
Cause I'm a Blond
"Trapped in the Body of a White Girl"[/url]

And this one goes out to 6/3 - it's a parody of Madonna's Like a Virgin

YouTube - Julie Brown Parody of Madonna's "Like A Virgin"
Weird Al has definitely got them dimbos trumped-

YouTube - Weird Al Yankovic - Like a surgeon

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music