Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 01:52 PM

126 posts, read 142,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeHoyal View Post
Nashville is too close to Cincy, Atlanta, St Louis.

And Cincinnati already doesn't draw good, and when Atlanta goes back to losing baseball games, that new stadium will empty out like it's on fire. Nashville is not getting an MLB franchise. You can write that down.

If that is the case the commissioner would have never mentioned Nashville.

Last edited by QuinnMill; 07-18-2018 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 01:53 PM

126 posts, read 142,844 times
Quote:
When all three already have MLB teams. In the same league. Two in the same division.

And Nashville is right in the middle. There will be no MLB here in our lifetime unless a city like Cincinnati loses the team and it moves. Otherwise, Nashville will not get an expansion team.

Book mark this post if you like.

I guess you haven't heard of realignment.

Last edited by QuinnMill; 07-18-2018 at 02:01 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 01:57 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
I am a Reds and Braves season ticket holder with many different people so I go to about 5-10 games a year in both Atlanta and Cincinnati. I do not know if we need a team here. It would be nice. I am not a big hockey fan so it was nice to get a MLS team here. I never got season tickets for Preds or Titans.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:01 PM

93 posts, read 74,399 times
I thought our new First Tennessee Park was expandable for MLB. No?

Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,178 times
I think Nashville would be successful considering its a southern city looking for a southern sport, like hockey in the north. Though there are several other factors, nashville would be the best fit considering how many MLB all stars are from there like Mookie Betts, R.A. Dickey and David price. Plus vanderbilt has a very successful baseball team that has many fans from all over the country.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:08 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnMill View Post
I'll guarantee that MLB would much rather be in Nashville than both Montreal and Charlotte, NC.

The problem is the owner(s) would have to build the stadium themselves. (As they should)
Montreal got hosed and deserves a team back. I've thought they should move the Rays to Montreal which gives the AL East a natural rivalry between Toronto and Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyh7 View Post
I think Nashville would be successful considering its a southern city looking for a southern sport, like hockey in the north. Though there are several other factors, nashville would be the best fit considering how many MLB all stars are from there like Mookie Betts, R.A. Dickey and David price. Plus vanderbilt has a very successful baseball team that has many fans from all over the country.
People could say the same about Las Vegas. They've produced Bryce Harper, Kris Bryant and Joey Gallo and are looking for an MLB team also.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:52 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Nashville is too close to Cincy, Atlanta, St Louis.

And Cincinnati already doesn't draw good, and when Atlanta goes back to losing baseball games, that new stadium will empty out like it's on fire. Nashville is not getting an MLB franchise. You can write that down.
Nashville is none of those cities, though. Nashville is different kind of city than Cincy or St. Louis. Many people believed hockey and soccer would not work here, either.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:00 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Nashville is none of those cities, though. Nashville is different kind of city than Cincy or St. Louis. Many people believed hockey and soccer would not work here, either.
I really hope we do get a baseball team in Nashville that would be awesome. We would have every major league sport but the NBA.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:09 PM

50 posts, read 57,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505ChurchStreet View Post
I thought our new First Tennessee Park was expandable for MLB. No?
When we toured the stadium we were told it had the ability to be expanded for a MLB team.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:50 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
I'm a baseball fan and would love for Nashville to have a team in a perfect world vacuum.

In practice, I'm very skeptical it would work. I echo all the sentiments of Nashville being in a no-man's land as far as the market goes with other nearby MLB cities. Sure, Nashville could be an AL team and that might be a little edge; but the landscape of baseball seems to be changing so that league affiliations don't matter the same way they did 20-30 years ago (there's usually an interleague game each weekend as an example). Being an AL market in a sea of NL surrounding cities doesn't mean as much as it did in decades past.

The main reason I am skeptical is that an MLB team will be sharing a season with hockey in April (and hopefully playoffs after), MLS from March through September (17 regular season home games), and football (NFL and college) starting in September. 81 home games is a lot to support in a saturated sports market no matter how much the city is growing. And it would take away from existing sports dollars allocated to sports already here. Not to mention all the other dozens of non-sports entertainment options we have each month in the way of festivals, concerts, etc. I just don't see it working out long term.

Sorry to be on the Debbie Downer side. I have to think this is a fun exercise to consider, but ultimately wouldn't be a good thing for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville