Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 02:03 PM

615 posts, read 1,376,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Orioles to Nashville? First I've heard of this "rumor."

Probably won't happen, but I think it's extremely positive that Nashville is the first city that comes up as a relocation spot.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...ooted-for.html
Considering how bad the quality of life is in Baltimore, it would be a good idea to consider moving the Orioles to another city. The Washington Nationals are close by and have had a considerably more successful recent history, winning the World Series in 2019 (the most recent full season).

Relocating several major league teams is one of the things that MLB should consider to improve its overall popularity. This happened frequently from 1953 until 1972, where 10 franchise shifts occurred over 20 years (one every two years on average). This reduced two-team metropolitan areas (i.e. Boston, St. Louis, and Philadelphia) to a single team, and combined with expansion, populated regions of North America with teams that previously had none (i.e. California, Texas, the Southeast (Atlanta), Canada (first Montreal Expos, later Toronto Blue Jays). Expansion in the 1990's put two team in Florida and two in the Mountain Time Zone (CO and AZ).

However, MLB has not expanded in over 23 years, and the only franchise relocation since 1972 was the Expos to Washington DC in 2005 to become the Nationals. If MLB doesn't expand (perhaps not wise from a financial point of view at this time), several teams should consider relocating.

The states of the Midwestern USA have nine MLB teams, while the states of the Southern USA, not counting Texas or Florida, have only one team. From a population and demographics standpoint this appears very imbalanced, more than 20 years into the 21st Century.

For example, why does Ohio have two teams, with neither of them in the state's largest city, which is Columbus? Perhaps either the Indians or Reds should move to Columbus, while the other should consider a move to a burgeoning Southern metropolis like Nashville, Charlotte, or Raleigh-Durham, or to Texas which could definitely support a third MLB team (most likely in Austin).

Chicago, a city with huge problems that many people are fleeing from, has two MLB teams, a relic of the mid-20th Century when Chicago was the nation's second-largest city. Since the Cubs are more popular than the White Sox, the White Sox should go, especially since they play in a bland stadium over 30 years old on the city's very troubled South Side.

Due to increased problems crossing international borders, and the fact that their retractable roofed stadium is over 32 years old and is very well dated, one team to consider relocating is the Toronto Blue Jays.

I could go on more, but these are ideas to consider and discuss.

Last edited by Highpointer; 07-11-2021 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 12:15 PM

638 posts, read 241,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Considering how bad the quality of life is in Baltimore, it would be a good idea to consider moving the Orioles to another city. The Washington Nationals are close by and have had a considerably more successful recent history, winning the World Series in 2019 (the most recent full season).

Relocating several major league teams is one of the things that MLB should consider to improve its overall popularity. This happened frequently from 1953 until 1972, where 10 franchise shifts occurred over 20 years (one every two years on average). This reduced two-team metropolitan areas (i.e. Boston, St. Louis, and Philadelphia) to a single team, and combined with expansion, populated regions of North America with teams that previously had none (i.e. California, Texas, the Southeast (Atlanta), Canada (first Montreal Expos, later Toronto Blue Jays). Expansion in the 1990's put two team in Florida and two in the Mountain Time Zone (CO and AZ).

However, MLB has not expanded in over 23 years, and the only franchise relocation since 1972 was the Expos to Washington DC in 2005 to become the Nationals. If MLB doesn't expand (perhaps not wise from a financial point of view at this time), several teams should consider relocating.

The states of the Midwestern USA have nine MLB teams, while the states of the Southern USA, not counting Texas or Florida, have only one team. From a population and demographics standpoint this appears very imbalanced, more than 20 years into the 21st Century.

For example, why does Ohio have two teams, with neither of them in the state's largest city, which is Columbus? Perhaps either the Indians or Reds should move to Columbus, while the other should consider a move to a burgeoning Southern metropolis like Nashville, Charlotte, or Raleigh-Durham, or to Texas which could definitely support a third MLB team (most likely in Austin).

Chicago, a city with huge problems that many people are fleeing from, has two MLB teams, a relic of the mid-20th Century when Chicago was the nation's second-largest city. Since the Cubs are more popular than the White Sox, the White Sox should go, especially since they play in a bland stadium over 30 years old on the city's very troubled South Side.

Due to increased problems crossing international borders, and the fact that their retractable roofed stadium is over 32 years old and is very well dated, one team to consider relocating is the Toronto Blue Jays.

I could go on more, but these are ideas to consider and discuss.
Chicago area has 10 million people, there is no way in hell their owners are going to be ok with a move to Nashville.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:01 PM

230 posts, read 119,924 times
In case this hasn't been mentioned, Nashville is right in the middle of 3 MLB cities. (Atlanta/Cincy/StLouis)

Not saying that makes it a deal breaker... but it might make moving an MLB team here a tougher sell. Especially with the crappy mid-south weather, unless a dome is built.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:15 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,986,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
Chicago area has 10 million people, there is no way in hell their owners are going to be ok with a move to Nashville.
As a former Chicago resident, the city is built on the Cubs Sox rivalry. They aren't going anywhere. People who have never lived there are always saying how bad things are but Chicago is still a huge economic engine that Nashville will never ever compete with. I don't think Nashville wants to be the size of Chicago.

It would be nice to see MLB in the south and Nashville would be one of the choices. I wonder how well would MLS, NFL, NHL and MLB do in a city the size of Nashville.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:05 AM

638 posts, read 241,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
As a former Chicago resident, the city is built on the Cubs Sox rivalry. They aren't going anywhere. People who have never lived there are always saying how bad things are but Chicago is still a huge economic engine that Nashville will never ever compete with. I don't think Nashville wants to be the size of Chicago.

It would be nice to see MLB in the south and Nashville would be one of the choices. I wonder how well would MLS, NFL, NHL and MLB do in a city the size of Nashville.
Well it would play better than it is in Miami and Tampa

Old 07-20-2021, 09:57 AM

367 posts, read 586,382 times
Nashville is a tourist destination, so lots of fans from opposing teams would make the trip to Nashville when their team was in town. General tourist would go to games as well. Nashville has NHL, NFL, and recently MLS and attendance has not been a problem.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:30 PM

21 posts, read 16,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittydore View Post
In case this hasn't been mentioned, Nashville is right in the middle of 3 MLB cities. (Atlanta/Cincy/StLouis)

Not saying that makes it a deal breaker... but it might make moving an MLB team here a tougher sell. Especially with the crappy mid-south weather, unless a dome is built.
Yeah, the same thing was said about the NFL.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:33 PM

10,085 posts, read 14,479,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittydore View Post

A dome? What about cities with "amazing weather" in Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, St Louis, etc? LOL (*sarcasm*)

I mean, each of those cities deals with windy, stormy and rainy weather year-round and has games outside with their MLB teams.

I think Nashville gets a relocated MLB team in the next several years. It's only a matter of when, not if, at this point, the way momentum and branding seems to be going.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:35 PM

21 posts, read 16,781 times
If Las Vegas gets a team, Nashville gets a team.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:40 PM

10,085 posts, read 14,479,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

I don't think there will be an issue, honestly.

Look at current cities that are just a bit bigger than Nashville, supporting pro teams. Cleveland has 2.1 million and declining, yet supports baseball, basketball and football in the pro leagues. Similar with Pittsburgh, at 2.3 million and declining, yet supports 3 teams.

Granted, Nashville would have 4 including MLB, but the metro area is growing pretty robustly, and sitting at 2 million now without including Clarksville, adding another 250k or so in the regional consolidated population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville