Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:13 AM

4,456 posts, read 5,184,939 times

Advertisements

Hapless sloaganeering. "Reno" The biggest little city.
Looks like these loosers are part of an ugly past, a fad
in Oxford at the time, most likely. They are probably
still racists, although closet ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 15,032 times
Unfortuantely... though they will certainly suggest they were here first or something... I am mortified by the prospect of being in the Klan's areas... Unfortuantely... the info I'm hearing about the KKK in Oxford is SERIOUSLY influencing me to rethink my decision to move to the area.

I am hoping this post falls on some friendly eyes who could possibly give me a little reassurance that I will not move into a volitile, radical and dangerous area...

Last edited by eroc; 08-28-2007 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-28-2007, 01:14 PM

11,389 posts, read 16,774,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroc View Post
Unfortuantely... though they will certainly suggest they were here first or something... I am mortified by the prospect of being in the Klan's areas... Unfortuantely... the info I hearing about the KKK in Oxford is SERIOUSLY influencing me to rethink my decision to move to the area.

I am hoping this post falls on some friendly eyes who could possibly give me a little reassurance that I will not move into a volitile, radical and dangerous area...
I know someone who used to live in Oxford. She was white and her boyfriend Spanish and he was truly afraid to visit her. She ended up moving away.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 15,032 times
I appreciate this information. I am Partially Spanish, thankfully from Spain so I am tall and fair skinned but I am also Italian and I am really not sure how that fairs with the Klan. Good thing is my lady is as white as they come but still... I am pretty opposed to the general hatered anyone shows to another and even more so when it is based on unfounded and purely predisposed ignorance.

Do you know if this is a distinguishable and barefaced circustance around Oxford now in 2007; is it as above ground as some of these pictures and passages make it?

Last edited by eroc; 08-28-2007 at 01:43 PM..

Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 15,356 times
Do yourself a favor and don't move to Oxford.

The local yokel cops have nothing better to than bust chops. And yes, there are still many racists there.

Stay clear of Oxford.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:31 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,491,661 times
Washington TWP over most of the Boro. My husband's family had to relocate from No. Jersey (job transfer) in the 70's and he grew up there.

Downtown is pretty bleak - has been since my husband was a kid.

The schools aren't too bad from what I have been told....but do your research. Animal Husbandry was a class at Warren Hills Regional when my husband and his siblings attended.

Washington used to have the KKK march down it's main street also...is the Klan still active there? No idea. How diverse is it? It isn't. On the up-side there isn't an illegal alien problem there yet, on the down-side you've got plenty of hillbilly trash.

A lot of people have relocated to Washington from other parts of the state in recent years and mostly b/c you get more house for your $$ and the schools are basically "safe" and you do have a small-town "feel".

Good Luck!

Last edited by JerseyG; 08-29-2007 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 08-31-2007, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroc View Post
Unfortuantely... though they will certainly suggest they were here first or something... I am mortified by the prospect of being in the Klan's areas... Unfortuantely... the info I'm hearing about the KKK in Oxford is SERIOUSLY influencing me to rethink my decision to move to the area.

I can barely contain my laughter at the prior posts. I've lived in Oxford for 5+ years and have never heard of any race-based incidents. I have heard of the story about the picture from the 1980s which people on this board are mentioning, but that is not the case today. I have many neighbors who would be categorized as "minorities" (e.g, hispanic, asian, black and indian) and they love living in the area. No disrespect intended but since all the "experts" seem to be from out of town, you should give their opinion little weight. If you want a nice community with affordable real estate and still close to major highways such as Rt. 80 and 78, Warren County in general fits the bill. But that's just my opinon...

Old 08-31-2007, 03:49 PM

11,389 posts, read 16,774,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestNJ View Post
I can barely contain my laughter at the prior posts. I've lived in Oxford for 5+ years and have never heard of any race-based incidents. I have heard of the story about the picture from the 1980s which people on this board are mentioning, but that is not the case today. I have many neighbors who would be categorized as "minorities" (e.g, hispanic, asian, black and indian) and they love living in the area. No disrespect intended but since all the "experts" seem to be from out of town, you should give their opinion little weight. If you want a nice community with affordable real estate and still close to major highways such as Rt. 80 and 78, Warren County in general fits the bill. But that's just my opinon...

You must be surrounded by the 5% of total minorities living in Oxford.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,427 times
As a former resident of Washington and graduate of the high school, it's fair to say that there were a few racial incidents that did occur in the past decade, but I would like to believe that the participants were somewhat on the fringe. I have to agree that there isn't much diversity in the community, but it is a beautiful, mountainous area and the prices are great for the homes. It's a great small town community, but as a person in her 20's, I find a somewhat more suburban area much more appealing.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:18 PM

7,226 posts, read 11,961,709 times
Oxford at one time did have a history of KKK activity, but that was long ago. Have not seen any more or any less racism exhibited in Oxford than I have seen or heard elsewhere in NJ. Don't recall one racially biased incident. Oxford is, predominately white, but Washington is somewhat racially diverse. Sometimes "old" reputations stick too long. That picture tends to surface from time to time and gives Oxford a bad rap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey