Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 20,009 times

Advertisements

I lived in Oxford, but it was a long time ago. I moved in 1975. I never seen or heard of the KKK there. And the High School in Washington was better than where I moved to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,997 times
I am a student at Centenary College in Hackettstown, New Jersey. When I first came here I was appalled to the negative attitude the town has toward the college and the diversity it bring to the town. I heard an incidence about some African American students that went into town were called “n*****s” by some strange man in a pick up truck. I just find it pitiful to how our nation still has negative attitude toward the diversity this country was built upon. Beside that fact, Hackettstown happens to be a little strange town. A lot of people in the town have told me that personally that people here are a little on the off side. Oxford New Jersey is not too far from here, and there is a still KKK chapter in that town. They arent as active as they used to be but they still discriminate against non-whites.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:33 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
No worries..all of those people in that photo have since moved to Washington......DC that is - I think they all work for the Bush Administration now..lol - easy now, I'm Just kidding : )) Oxford is rumored to have a KKK but I've yet to have heard or seen anything to support that. I have a friend who lives there and she loves it! Downside is, is a bit of a trek to get to any major highway that will take you to either Rt. 80 or Rt. 287. Have you tried other areas outside of Hackettstown that are closer to Rt. 80? If you're looking in Washington Boro or Oxford I would guess that you are looking for something in the low 300's or mid 200's. You can still find a house in that price range in Hackettstown. You can even find one in that price range where I live - exit 19 off of Rt. 80. I am approx. 6 mins from Rt. 80...10 mins from Hackettstown, Blairstown and or Newton - all have modern stores / shopping centers. Try Allumuchy, Frelinghuysen, Blairstown.... all rerally nice areas and we definately do not have a KKK : )))))

Old 02-17-2008, 05:23 PM

115 posts, read 446,981 times
When we first looked into moving to Oxford a couple years back also from Woodbridge, I have to admit that picture did scare me. However we found a house in the neighboring town, Mansfield. We love it up here. Make sure you check out the free outdoor concert at Shippen Manor during the summer.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:44 PM

59 posts, read 167,491 times
Default south Jersey

If you'd consider an hour and half commute - MT laurel and CHerry Hill are great, affordable towns with excellent schools. There is a bus from exit #4 into Port Authority. There is great shopping, easy access to Philly, and many community services.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfxdj View Post
I live in Woodbridge and work in Parsippany, NJ. I know it's the same story that many tell, but the commute is slowly taking its toll and I'm looking to move to better my situation (i.e. bigger house, smaller town with less hussle, decent schools and possibly a better commute). 60+ minutes for a 33 mile drive to a house I can't even fit into, in a migrating community that's changing practically overnite.

We once contemplated on moving to the Nazareth Area in PA, but the drive wouldn't be worth the trade off. I'm in a pretty stable job so unfortunately I have to focus on living in the same area and communte destination of Rt.80 and Rt.287 like most everyone else, except I can't afford to live in Western Essex or Morris Counties. We have already ruled out Sussex Cty with all the conjection of Rt15 and 23.

We've done some research and came across some Wash/Oxford neighborhoods and the communities seem to be more close knit, better schools than where we are now and it's in proximity to Hackettstown which has all the big chain stores I would be lacking if I moved from central jersey. I also hear they are looking to revamp the downtown section which could boost the interest of in-town businesses.

Does anyone have any personal feedback on this area? Schools? Etc...
Was just wondering if you are still interested in those areas? Making sure that all of that klan talk didn't chase you away : )) It's all rumors - unfounded rumors. I use to live in Washington Boro. The north side of rt. 57 is the better side. I was playing around in the gsmls site and there's a few nice houses - reasonably priced houses out that way! If you're still looking out that way, and need some more - real information on the area(s)..just ask and I'll see what I can find out for you.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstorm View Post
I am a student at Centenary College in Hackettstown, New Jersey. When I first came here I was appalled to the negative attitude the town has toward the college and the diversity it bring to the town. I heard an incidence about some African American students that went into town were called “n*****s” by some strange man in a pick up truck. I just find it pitiful to how our nation still has negative attitude toward the diversity this country was built upon. Beside that fact, Hackettstown happens to be a little strange town. A lot of people in the town have told me that personally that people here are a little on the off side. Oxford New Jersey is not too far from here, and there is a still KKK chapter in that town. They arent as active as they used to be but they still discriminate against non-whites.
That wasn't the Klan..just one of the local rednecks..lol : )) They're not too happy with all of this shoving diversity down their red necks - pushing them closer to the PA border : )) They are the minority out here these days : ))

Old 02-24-2008, 10:34 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
That wasn't the Klan..just one of the local rednecks..lol : )) They're not too happy with all of this shoving diversity down their red necks - pushing them closer to the PA border : )) They are the minority out here these days : ))
Rednecks are just as plentiful as always out here...they are just wearing scarves for the winter

Old 02-24-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Rednecks are just as plentiful as always out here...they are just wearing scarves for the winter
lol..actually, I thought that as well when I moved to where I am now..all farmers driving old pickup trucks...but they have been the kindest, most helpful people I have ever met! Not rednecks...just good ole farm boys - great neighbors.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:11 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
lol..actually, I thought that as well when I moved to where I am now..all farmers driving old pickup trucks...but they have been the kindest, most helpful people I have ever met! Not rednecks...just good ole farm boys - great neighbors.
I'm out in Oxford and the necks are so red out here it's unbelievable. Good hearted, hard working, simple living, God fearing people though. It probably helps however, that my other half fits right in with them. He's a good ol' boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey