Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 06:17 AM

61 posts, read 216,175 times

Advertisements

I have a similar question that relates. I just moved to North Raleigh in November '06. I have already gotten my registartion and inspections completed and passed and I have new NC plates and registration etc... But I'm wondering if I also need to get a county sticker in addition?? I remember up north in my old hometown in Virginia, we had to have a county sticker above and beyond everything else. Is that something that's requyired here as well? and if so, who do I call to get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 06:23 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
You do not need a county sticker........just the registration you have already done.

Leigh

Old 01-16-2007, 09:27 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beittels View Post
I have a similar question that relates. I just moved to North Raleigh in November '06. I have already gotten my registartion and inspections completed and passed and I have new NC plates and registration etc... But I'm wondering if I also need to get a county sticker in addition?? I remember up north in my old hometown in Virginia, we had to have a county sticker above and beyond everything else. Is that something that's requyired here as well? and if so, who do I call to get it?
Apparently, there's something called a "Vehicle Decal Fee" for those residents living within the governmental jurisdiction of:

Angier
Apex
Cary
Fuquay Varina
Garner
Holly Springs
Knightdale
Morrisville
Raleigh
Rolesville
Wake Forest
Wendell
Zebulon

I have no idea what the Vehicle Decal Fee is or its purpose since I don't live in any of those areas, but I am curious. Is this something those city or town residents are required to purchase and affix to their vehicles in addition to the state issued vehicle inspection sticker?

Old 01-16-2007, 11:12 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Apparently, there's something called a "Vehicle Decal Fee" for those residents living within the governmental jurisdiction of:

Angier
Apex
Cary
Fuquay Varina
Garner
Holly Springs
Knightdale
Morrisville
Raleigh
Rolesville
Wake Forest
Wendell
Zebulon

I have no idea what the Vehicle Decal Fee is or its purpose since I don't live in any of those areas, but I am curious. Is this something those city or town residents are required to purchase and affix to their vehicles in addition to the state issued vehicle inspection sticker?
No....this is paid for as part of the inspection....it is nothing seperate...just part of the breakdown in the fee itself.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
No....this is paid for as part of the inspection....it is nothing seperate...just part of the breakdown in the fee itself.
How does the guy at Jiffy Lube know whether you live within one of the cities/towns or not? Example: There's plenty of folks with a Raleigh mail delivery address who do not live within Raleigh's city limits.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:30 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger View Post
Well i guess i will pay the $250 fine because my car is about 2 months out-of -date
There was just something on the evening news about this. Apparently an email has been making the rounds claiming this $250 fine if you're late at all on your inspection.

The email was wrong -- the fine applies ONLY if you are more than a certain number of days overdue. I _thought_ they said 120 days... but WRAL's web site doesn't have the story posted yet (it was on their 6 o'clock news) and nothing on the NCDOT DMV site.

I'd make a phone call and try to find out... good luck!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:40 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
How does the guy at Jiffy Lube know whether you live within one of the cities/towns or not? Example: There's plenty of folks with a Raleigh mail delivery address who do not live within Raleigh's city limits.
I have no clue.....I would assume it would go simply by the address your car is registered at. It's pretty computerized as it is. I would think that if someone was in such a situation (there folks, for example, that have Raleigh mailing addresses and actually live in Durham county) they's make sure they are playing the proper fees.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
There was just something on the evening news about this. Apparently an email has been making the rounds claiming this $250 fine if you're late at all on your inspection.

The email was wrong -- the fine applies ONLY if you are more than a certain number of days overdue. I _thought_ they said 120 days... but WRAL's web site doesn't have the story posted yet (it was on their 6 o'clock news) and nothing on the NCDOT DMV site.

I'd make a phone call and try to find out... good luck!
NC General Statute 20-183.8a

§ 20‑183.8A. Civil penalties against motorists for emissions violations.

The Division shall assess a civil penalty against a person who owns or leases a vehicle that is subject to an emissions inspection and who does any of the following:

(1) Fails to have the vehicle inspected within four months after it is required to be inspected under this Part.

(2) Instructs or allows a person to tamper with an emission control device of the vehicle so as to make the device inoperative or fail to work properly.

(3) Incorrectly states the county of registration of the vehicle to avoid having an emissions inspection of the vehicle.

The amount of penalty is one hundred dollars ($100.00) if the vehicle is a pre‑1981 vehicle and two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00) if the vehicle is a 1981 or newer model vehicle.

As provided in G.S. 20‑54, the registration of a vehicle may not be renewed until a penalty imposed under this section has been paid. (1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 754, ss. 1, 8; 1998‑212, s. 27.6(b).)

-------------------------------------------

It should be noted that the above law only applies to those North Carolina counties which inspects and tests for emissions as part of the annual statewide motor vehicle inspection program. Not all of NC's 100 counties do so.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-16-2007 at 06:13 PM..

Old 01-16-2007, 06:27 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Thanks mm34b... so it is 120 days. Hope this relieves some folks out there!

Old 01-17-2007, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 20,285 times
Default related question about late inspection

Is this thread dealing with when a police officer pulls you over OR ANY TIME your inspection is late? I wasn't "caught" but just had mine done a couple of months late. DOes the $250 fine apply to me? Thanks!

Cindy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina