Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:47 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times

Advertisements

No clue about the inspection, but don't EVER let your tags expire. This happened to us once on a car we rarely drive, it costs us $350 in fines to get the car re-registered. They attach the fine to your driver's license and other car registrations so you are stuck paying it before you can renew your license or other registrations on additional vehicles. I seriously CRIED when that happened to us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 18,815 times
I had the same thing happen to me- I asked for an appeal and explained my situation- being from a state that did not do things the way NC does and pleaded ignorance. They waived the fee and I just had to get the car inspected. Good luck@!

Old 01-18-2007, 09:45 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
I hate the whole fee and penalty crap when it comes to this inspection. I don't really know what the inspection entails, or if there are any caps on the work done when something faulty is found, or if there is any fraud committed by the inspectors. It's all new to me. Again, using CA as reference, we have strict smog testing every other year, and a person cannot get their car registered if they do not pass smog. Here, the whole inspection process seems brutal. Makes me want to wait before registering the vehicle here (and, as a side note, I know all about the time frames when it comes to registering a vehicle, but fortunately, I still have my CA address that I am still using for my business). Eh.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:53 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
I hate the whole fee and penalty crap when it comes to this inspection. I don't really know what the inspection entails, or if there are any caps on the work done when something faulty is found, or if there is any fraud committed by the inspectors. It's all new to me. Again, using CA as reference, we have strict smog testing every other year, and a person cannot get their car registered if they do not pass smog. Here, the whole inspection process seems brutal. Makes me want to wait before registering the vehicle here (and, as a side note, I know all about the time frames when it comes to registering a vehicle, but fortunately, I still have my CA address that I am still using for my business). Eh.
The inspection is pretty basic...the worst part is the smog testing you are already used to....and no, I've never heard of fraud. Most places that do inspections don't even do repairs...there is no reason for fraud.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:24 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
The inspection is pretty basic...the worst part is the smog testing you are already used to....and no, I've never heard of fraud. Most places that do inspections don't even do repairs...there is no reason for fraud.
Oh good! Well, I don't mean, good really. It sucks when a stupid mechanical or electrical part malfunctions the test sending you down for a bigger repair bill and a failed test. Fortunately, we only needed to smog test once every other year (is it not every year here in NC?).

As for fraud, I've seen it all where I'm from. I've even heard of mechanics working with test only centers and sharing back end profits (though, the state of CA has even restricted test only centers from referring mechanics, but last year, I had one actually do it anyway).

Hopefully, we won't run into any issues or inconveniences. What with the personal property taxes, insurance issues and inspections, I'd hate to think we moved to a state where our automobile costs increase over what we were paying in Los Angeles. Of course, I'm ignorant of all of these issues, and will learn it as I go along, just like everyone else.

Is there a site where I can lookup reviews of mechanics and test only centers here online?

Thx, D, for your reply!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 14,100 times
Default $250 Fine

The DMV will only fine you when you're cited for an expired inspection sticker after being stopped. Otherwise, they will send you a reminder, I understand, within 4 months of the expiration, but not fine you.

Yes, the trooper must have been angry at something when he gave you the ticket. You have no appeal.

There's a bogus email warning going around saying the $250 will be charged by the DMV in NC when an inspection is overdue. I've looked into the DMV site and found that untrue.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperjk View Post
The DMV will only fine you when you're cited for an expired inspection sticker after being stopped. Otherwise, they will send you a reminder, I understand, within 4 months of the expiration, but not fine you.

Yes, the trooper must have been angry at something when he gave you the ticket. You have no appeal.

There's a bogus email warning going around saying the $250 will be charged by the DMV in NC when an inspection is overdue. I've looked into the DMV site and found that untrue.
Ah....they will send you the warning...and if you don't do it...they will fine you....it doesn't take being stopped.

There is a bogus email around, but they will send you a letter in the mail, you will be fined for not having a valid sticker (it just takes longer then then the email says for it to happen).

Old 02-12-2007, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 14,040 times
does anyone know where you can go to pay the emissions fine???? can you do it online??? received notice in the mail months ago and misplaced it...have'nt been billed again....not sure how to pay....any thoughs????

Old 02-12-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codester View Post
does anyone know where you can go to pay the emissions fine???? can you do it online??? received notice in the mail months ago and misplaced it...have'nt been billed again....not sure how to pay....any thoughs????
Contact your local DMV office.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/

Old 02-13-2007, 10:22 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
I beleive the entire state...certainly not just the city of Raleigh. My friends in other counties in the state have to do it as well.
wow I have a lot to learn about what I need to do when I move in April. We don't have car inspections in Alabama. How long would I have to do this and where is it done? How long does one have to get car tags and new drivers license? Also can anyone tell me how much the power deposit is? Gas and water deposit? and is there one waste management(garbage service) and the cost? Gee, I have a lot of things to do list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina