Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,784,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If there is any confusion what NC inspection requirements are about, this should make it clear, it is all about revenue for the state, the state that has never seen a tax, fee, and fine that they didn't like.
After my experience here in NC for over a year, I'm starting to believe that statement. Eh.

On the other hand, with respect to inspections, has there been any movement about lessening the frequency of inspections. Every year seems a bit much. In CA, we did this every other year. Though I think our tests are a bit tougher regarding emissions and alleviating inspection (smog) fraud. Every other year seems more convenient to the driver since there's enough on taxpayer's plate every year to add another yearly nuisance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 12:30 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,560,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger View Post
Is this new law for the entire state? (not for the city of raleigh)
Not a new law. Same here in Charlotte-Mecklenburg and all across the state.

Good luck getting out of it. Fighting the DMV, you might as well pay the fine!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,572,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
After my experience here in NC for over a year, I'm starting to believe that statement. Eh.

On the other hand, with respect to inspections, has there been any movement about lessening the frequency of inspections. Every year seems a bit much. In CA, we did this every other year. Though I think our tests are a bit tougher regarding emissions and alleviating inspection (smog) fraud. Every other year seems more convenient to the driver since there's enough on taxpayer's plate every year to add another yearly nuisance.
In a year many cars on our roads will have a headlight or tail light blown, will be in a wreck and continue driving even though the car is not safe on the road.
Between Safety and Inconvience. I am glad the state is tough on safety.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
In a year many cars on our roads will have a headlight or tail light blown, will be in a wreck and continue driving even though the car is not safe on the road.
Between Safety and Inconvenience. I am glad the state is tough on safety.
Oh, I agree. But doesn't that yearly inspection manage a lot of that? Or is the process fraught with fraud?

Being a skeptic, I wonder, when insurance rates continually go through the roof, if the whole safety issue is compromised for the sake of profit. But, that's an argumentative point best served for a separate topic.

Though, since being here, I've witnessed a lot of vehicles with seemingly well maintained rear tail lights that aren't being used on a regular basis. Of course, that's a pet peeve of mine, not using a blinker, since using it is one of the more important safety devices we have to communicate with other drivers (if it don't work, then hand signals work too). At least I've figured out the signal a person uses when they are tailgating me.

Oops, off topic'ing again...

Old 01-16-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Oh, I agree. But doesn't that yearly inspection manage a lot of that? Or is the process fraught with fraud?

Being a skeptic, I wonder, when insurance rates continually go through the roof, if the whole safety issue is compromised for the sake of profit. But, that's an argumentative point best served for a separate topic.

Though, since being here, I've witnessed a lot of vehicles with seemingly well maintained rear tail lights that aren't being used on a regular basis. Of course, that's a pet peeve of mine, not using a blinker, since using it is one of the more important safety devices we have to communicate with other drivers (if it don't work, then hand signals work too). At least I've figured out the signal a person uses when they are tailgating me.

Oops, off topic'ing again...
All matters regarding your "feelings" not required to this thread regarding inspections

Old 01-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
All matters regarding your "feelings" not required to this thread regarding inspections
Whoops, I totally misinterpreted the gist of your original reply.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:21 PM

46 posts, read 210,248 times
My car was finally inspected yesterday, about 90 days overdue but less than the "allowed" four months. There's some good info in this thread!

I do have a question, though: Why does the state require placement of the sticker on the driver's side corner of the windshield, instead of the lower passenger side corner? I've found the driver's side placement to be in my line of sight and quite distracting, especially at night. The passenger side of the windshield would be a much better location, not impeding any of the driver's visibility at all. And it would me more visible to patrolling officers if they are parked on the right side of the road!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM

I just have a theory not an answer base on fact I assume it so that when a cop drives by they can view your inspection. They use to be a large number of the year it expired before the punch system. It may take time to get use to but I rarely notice it at it current location. In Virginia they place in the center bottom of the windshield.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,560,919 times
Quote:
Between Safety and Inconvience. I am glad the state is tough on safety.
SC did away with their inspections years ago, and when I find myself in SC, I don't see an unusual number of cars with burned out lights, or any other problems.

Another example about "it's all about revenue" when SC did away with their inspections, people simply left the inspection sticker on their windshield. When they traveled into NC, they were often stopped and ticketed for expired inspection sticker, even though SC no longer inspected cars. I have actually seen the ticket that a co-worker based in Greenville showed me when he was pulled over on his way to Asheville.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
SC did away with their inspections years ago, and when I find myself in SC, I don't see an unusual number of cars with burned out lights, or any other problems.

Another example about "it's all about revenue" when SC did away with their inspections, people simply left the inspection sticker on their windshield. When they traveled into NC, they were often stopped and ticketed for expired inspection sticker, even though SC no longer inspected cars. I have actually seen the ticket that a co-worker based in Greenville showed me when he was pulled over on his way to Asheville.
''

This is not South Carolina. This North Carolina that cares about safety on it roadways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina