Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
''

This is not South Carolina. This North Carolina that cares about safety on it roadways.
By ticketing SC drivers that failed to scrap off the no longer used sticker from their state when they dared to venture into NC? Or are you saying that SC drivers will automatically take better care of their cars, and NC drivers will let them become unsafe without the nanny state checking their cars every year? Yea whatever.

The fine for a burn out tail light is a whole lot less than the fine for having a car in perfect condition with the exception of having an expired sticker. And everyone will automatically receive their $250 for expired inspection, and very few get a ticket for the burned out tail/brake light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 AM

915 posts, read 3,180,454 times
lol

when i used live there..i always slack about that inspections...
if i get caught, do your inspection before the court date and bring the proof with you on the court date..they will drop it. I have the following combo before

1) expired inspection, valid tag
2) expired on both
3) expired tag valid inspection.

weird huh..never have to pay fine..but the hassle to show at the court date and show them you did get it inspected and such

Old 01-17-2008, 11:01 AM

915 posts, read 3,180,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
''

This is not South Carolina. This North Carolina that cares about safety on it roadways.
ya but they should fix them roads if they really care about it..look at part of I85...comparing VA side and NC side...

Old 04-25-2008, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,242 times
how much is state car inspection?

Old 04-25-2008, 06:14 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank jacobson View Post
how much is state car inspection?
Around $30.

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Emissions Fees

Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 AM

71 posts, read 293,629 times
Default Safety inspections are about revenue, not safety

and anyone can do a google search on "vehicle safety inspections" and bring up at least half a dozen recent research studies by Poitras, Sutter, Hemenway, and others- College professors and researchers that don't have ties to the inspection industry- that show mandatory vehicle safety inspections don't reduce accident rates. Funny but the safety inspection industry can't seem to come up with any real studies of their own to prove these inspections do anything. The most they can produce is anecdotes or some odd statistic in their favor that is so small as to be insignificant, but then not publish all of the statistics that are not in their favor. Colorado, for instance, a state with no vehicle safety inspection program, has a lower fatality rate for miles driven than Utah, a state next door with similar driving conditions, population, and a very aggressive vehicle safety inspection program. Examples like this are everywhere, and thats why only 18 states still have these "tax' inspections, and three have bills attempting to end them. Ronald Reagan had it right when he said "the closest thing to immortality is a government program." He managed to end them on the federal level, but they still hang on, year after year, in some states that have become addicted to the revenue.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:00 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
and anyone can do a google search on "vehicle safety inspections" and bring up at least half a dozen recent research studies by Poitras, Sutter, Hemenway, and others- College professors and researchers that don't have ties to the inspection industry- that show mandatory vehicle safety inspections don't reduce accident rates. Funny but the safety inspection industry can't seem to come up with any real studies of their own to prove these inspections do anything. The most they can produce is anecdotes or some odd statistic in their favor that is so small as to be insignificant, but then not publish all of the statistics that are not in their favor. Colorado, for instance, a state with no vehicle safety inspection program, has a lower fatality rate for miles driven than Utah, a state next door with similar driving conditions, population, and a very aggressive vehicle safety inspection program. Examples like this are everywhere, and thats why only 18 states still have these "tax' inspections, and three have bills attempting to end them. Ronald Reagan had it right when he said "the closest thing to immortality is a government program." He managed to end them on the federal level, but they still hang on, year after year, in some states that have become addicted to the revenue.
I'm surprised, considering the frequency of the safety inspections here, how many junky looking vehicles I see that emit smoke or appear unsafe on the roads of NC. Not that I don't see them in other states, either. Just wondering how comprehensive these inspections can be. However, I'm not for a yearly inspection. Once every 3 years would be nice. Getting fined for missing the date considering how hectic our lives have become with all the dates and appointments, bills, deadlines and whatever we must manage these days, that fine seems rather hefty (though, I guess, a good enough deterrent to keep it a high priority above others). However, I think 'yearly' inspections are rather excessive. Considering the number of vehicles I've seen lately driving the road, I'm not convinced the inspections are truly effective or efficient enough.

Google'd "Vehicle Safety Inspections" and "Effectiveness."

Old 05-27-2008, 03:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
I'm surprised, considering the frequency of the safety inspections here, how many junky looking vehicles I see that emit smoke or appear unsafe on the roads of NC. Not that I don't see them in other states, either. Just wondering how comprehensive these inspections can be. However, I'm not for a yearly inspection. Once every 3 years would be nice. Getting fined for missing the date considering how hectic our lives have become with all the dates and appointments, bills, deadlines and whatever we must manage these days, that fine seems rather hefty (though, I guess, a good enough deterrent to keep it a high priority above others). However, I think 'yearly' inspections are rather excessive. Considering the number of vehicles I've seen lately driving the road, I'm not convinced the inspections are truly effective or efficient enough.

Google'd "Vehicle Safety Inspections" and "Effectiveness."
Again, it is not about safety it is about revenue.

Remember this is NC, the state that has never seen a tax, fee, fine, surcharge, that they have not embraced.

The Education Lottery was sold (forced upon) the citizens of the state as the 'solution' to providing the funds to finally 'fix' the schools in NC. Now just a year or so later, the governor is demanding 'sin tax' be added to tobacco and alcohol products because the schools need more money. A never ending cycle of waste and nickel and dime'ing residents at every turn.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:34 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Again, it is not about safety it is about revenue.
I would think safety, arguably, does have a lot to do with it, but I would agree that generating revenue is also a motivator (unless I can be convinced to think otherwise). Does the state earn a lot from these inspections? Anyone have any ideas or stats on the amount of money the state generates from successfully collecting those $250.00 dollar fines (let alone any other fee attributable to the inspection)?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
IT IS ALL ABOUT SAFETY.
working headlights, turn signals, functioning horn, safe emissions, proper registered car

unless you happen to be hit with a bat those are all about safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina