Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 11:16 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I can't mention them because they are considered "competitor sites". However you might want to google a few and check them against your C-D results.

I guess I can say that I observed that housing costs were about 10% higher in Porterville. But by the typical California vs Oklahoma housing standards that certainly isn't much of a difference.

I found that site that has your stats eddie. Good info over there. COL is even cheaper in McAlester which is one of the areas that I like. I'd like to downsize. I have 15 acres here and between tractors breaking down and dead trees due to drought, I'd like to get something a little smaller land wise, 2 or 3 acres maybe. That's enough room for my mules and dogs to be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 07:35 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I found that site that has your stats eddie. Good info over there. COL is even cheaper in McAlester which is one of the areas that I like. I'd like to downsize. I have 15 acres here and between tractors breaking down and dead trees due to drought, I'd like to get something a little smaller land wise, 2 or 3 acres maybe. That's enough room for my mules and dogs to be happy.
McAlester is a nice little spot. Close to the prettiest country we have in Oklahoma but not quite in it. Famous for being the home of the state prison and home of four of the best Italian restaurants in this part of the country.

If I were in Porterville and I moved here I'd sure miss the Sierra's and the dry weather but the McAlester area is close to one of our best lakes (Eufaula) and what we have for green mountains in Oklahoma (Ouachitas). I used to live down there. I miss the scenery still.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
McAlester is a nice little spot. Close to the prettiest country we have in Oklahoma but not quite in it. Famous for being the home of the state prison and home of four of the best Italian restaurants in this part of the country.

If I were in Porterville and I moved here I'd sure miss the Sierra's and the dry weather but the McAlester area is close to one of our best lakes (Eufaula) and what we have for green mountains in Oklahoma (Ouachitas). I used to live down there. I miss the scenery still.
Yes, I would definitely miss the high country, but the Quachitas are big enough to satisfy me. I can do hills ok, just not pancake flat. Oddly enough, I like the desert a lot too. If I had my choice of where to live, it would be Bishop, Ca. Desert and alpine combined. Alas, Los Angeles Dept of Water and Power own most of the land over there.

Here's a cool road from Bishop to Reno,NV.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Yes, I would definitely miss the high country, but the Quachitas are big enough to satisfy me. I can do hills ok, just not pancake flat. Oddly enough, I like the desert a lot too. If I had my choice of where to live, it would be Bishop, Ca. Desert and alpine combined. Alas, Los Angeles Dept of Water and Power own most of the land over there.

Here's a cool road from Bishop to Reno,NV.
Always thought Bishop would be kind of interesting.

McAlester is rolling hills and oak tree country but it is only 30 minutes to the Ouachitas and the pine country mixed with hardwoods. Drastic change just east/southeast of McAlester. The elevation change between the valleys and the mountains is roughly a thousand to two thousand feet down in there and the valleys are pretty tight. Probably most similar to the mountains in north Georgia and NE Alabama.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Yes, the country down around Broken Bow and Idabell is beautiful, but the crime stats are off the charts. Beavers Bend is super nice, but I need to be near a town with a hospital and a decent pharmacy. I was also kind of interested in Antlers. Crime stats show it to be a really safe place to live.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, the country down around Broken Bow and Idabell is beautiful, but the crime stats are off the charts. Beavers Bend is super nice, but I need to be near a town with a hospital and a decent pharmacy. I was also kind of interested in Antlers. Crime stats show it to be a really safe place to live.
The area between Broken Bow and the Lake (Hochatown) is getting a bunch of North Texas money. There are numerous 250,000 to a million dollar homes out there now so I'm sure LE is on top of things out there. I don't know what the price of land is. DeQueen, AR and Idabel both have medical centers that are larger than you would expect for communities that size but they function as regional centers. But if you could get an acreage out there I'd think you'd be safe and it would be a good investment.

Antlers is a nice small town on the SE edge of the mountains. They have a tiny hospital that could patch you up or take care of minor things. Atoka, Hugo as well. Durant and McAlester have pretty large regional medical centers. They can probably take care of 90% of the issues a person might have.

I always recommend people who live in small towns get Airflight insurance in case they need to get Coptered to Dallas or OKC.

I was in the hospital business and although it's been a while I've been to all these hospitals. McAlester and Durant are actually pretty impressive for small city facilities.

I think your medical/pharmacy issues could be managed in SE Oklahoma albeit with some extra travel.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:21 PM

Thanks for all the great info eddie!! It's much appreciated.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:35 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Wikipedia says that almost every year, OKC has snow accumulation, and on average has 6-7 inches of snow a year.

Seems like it's been very mild for the past two weeks. At this rate, doesn't seem like it will snow. Or am I wrong?

Other people tell me that it only snows significantly every four years, but that when it does snow, it'll snow two feet in a single year.

I'm surprised by how sunny it's been. Looks like there's been a good amount of rain, but it just rains for a day or two, and then it's mostly sunshine. Judging from weather charts, January is even sunnier, with an impressive 200 hours of sunshine, i.e. 64 percent of max possible sunshine given at this latitude. Back in California, we have very rainy winters, which means you get only 140 or so hours of sunshine (a measly 48 percent) of possible sunshine given the latitude. I'm loving the late autumn/winter sun. Even when it's only 30 degrees outside here in OKC, I don't feel cold, because it's a sunny 30 degrees. Over in California, I feel very cold at 45 degrees, because it's usually a very rainy, damp, windy 45 degrees.

The scenery here also beats California. You've got more trees, more rolling terrain. Back in Sacramento, all you have is flat, barren land.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Wikipedia says that almost every year, OKC has snow accumulation, and on average has 6-7 inches of snow a year.

Seems like it's been very mild for the past two weeks. At this rate, doesn't seem like it will snow. Or am I wrong?

Other people tell me that it only snows significantly every four years, but that when it does snow, it'll snow two feet in a single year.

I'm surprised by how sunny it's been.
Here is a local news link that gives you some interesting info about snowfall in OKC.......

https://kfor.com/2018/11/13/oklahomasnowfallstats/

Winter is just getting started this year. Generally from Mid November to Mid March give or take a couple of weeks in any given year. And you never know how it will be.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:52 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I'm surprised by how sunny it's been. Looks like there's been a good amount of rain, but it just rains for a day or two, and then it's mostly sunshine. Judging from weather charts, January is even sunnier, with an impressive 200 hours of sunshine, i.e. 64 percent of max possible sunshine given at this latitude. Back in California, we have very rainy winters, which means you get only 140 or so hours of sunshine (a measly 48 percent) of possible sunshine given the latitude. I'm loving the late autumn/winter sun. Even when it's only 30 degrees outside here in OKC, I don't feel cold, because it's a sunny 30 degrees. Over in California, I feel very cold at 45 degrees, because it's usually a very rainy, damp, windy 45 degrees.

The scenery here also beats California. You've got more trees, more rolling terrain. Back in Sacramento, all you have is flat, barren land.
Sorry, but the gloomy Oklahoma weather today, Friday, must be like the winter weather you described in California. 30 degrees in the sun wouldn't feel too cold to me when the wind isn't blowing. The worst kind of Oklahoma winter is where the sun doesn't come out for long after the snowstorms, so the snow doesn't have a chance to melt off before the next snow storm comes. Snow will remain on the ground from early Jan. to early March. Fortunately, those awful kind of winters are very rare.

In central Oklahoma we got the Crosstimbers that serves as more trees. Interesting how the terrain changes when you drive out of the valley that Stillwater is in and exit off I-35 to go to Enid. The land becomes ruler flat and treeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City