Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2019, 02:20 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Wikipedia says that almost every year, OKC has snow accumulation, and on average has 6-7 inches of snow a year.

Seems like it's been very mild for the past two weeks. At this rate, doesn't seem like it will snow. Or am I wrong?

Other people tell me that it only snows significantly every four years, but that when it does snow, it'll snow two feet in a single year.

I'm surprised by how sunny it's been. Looks like there's been a good amount of rain, but it just rains for a day or two, and then it's mostly sunshine. Judging from weather charts, January is even sunnier, with an impressive 200 hours of sunshine, i.e. 64 percent of max possible sunshine given at this latitude. Back in California, we have very rainy winters, which means you get only 140 or so hours of sunshine (a measly 48 percent) of possible sunshine given the latitude. I'm loving the late autumn/winter sun. Even when it's only 30 degrees outside here in OKC, I don't feel cold, because it's a sunny 30 degrees. Over in California, I feel very cold at 45 degrees, because it's usually a very rainy, damp, windy 45 degrees.

The scenery here also beats California. You've got more trees, more rolling terrain. Back in Sacramento, all you have is flat, barren land.

Need to correct a few things here:

Sacramento is a designated Sterling Tree City USA and is rated one of the top ten urban forests in the country. Sac has been known as "the city of trees" since 1845. I believe Tulsa is also a designated tree city. I like Tulsa. It reminded me of Sacramento.

Sac gets 269 days per year of sunshine which is 60 more days than the US average.

Flat, yes, it is in the Sacramento Valley (hence the name); however, it's less than 20 minutes to the rolling hills as you put it, in El Dorado County and less than an hour to this:
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 05:51 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Need to correct a few things here:

Sacramento is a designated Sterling Tree City USA and is rated one of the top ten urban forests in the country. Sac has been known as "the city of trees" since 1845. I believe Tulsa is also a designated tree city. I like Tulsa. It reminded me of Sacramento.

Sac gets 269 days per year of sunshine which is 60 more days than the US average.

Flat, yes, it is in the Sacramento Valley (hence the name); however, it's less than 20 minutes to the rolling hills as you put it, in El Dorado County and less than an hour to this:
Sure, Sac is the city of trees. But just step right to the edge of Sacramento, drive just past Natomas. It's just flat and barren. At least OKC has more rolling hills and oak trees right outside the city.

Sacramento is sunnier than OKC in the summer, but in January and February Sacramento receives less sun than Boston and about as much as Chicago. OKC has sunnier January and February weather.

I'm sure Tahoe looks great in the winter, with all the snow, but come on, why do I have to drive an hour outside of Sacramento just to get good scenery, when I can get good scenery in OKC right in OKC?

Old 11-29-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Sorry, but the gloomy Oklahoma weather today, Friday, must be like the winter weather you described in California.
Yeah, today's kinda similar to California winter weather. Except California winter weather would feature heavier rains all day long, for several days, with no sun, and with more wind. Bottom line: as dreary and cold and damp today is for Oklahoma, Sacramento's even more so during the winter.

Today by Will Rogers airport there wasn't too much wind, and the rain was very sporadic and mostly light.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:16 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Yeah, today's kinda similar to California winter weather. Except California winter weather would feature heavier rains all day long, for several days, with no sun, and with more wind. Bottom line: as dreary and cold and damp today is for Oklahoma, Sacramento's even more so during the winter.

Today by Will Rogers airport there wasn't too much wind, and the rain was very sporadic and mostly light.
You go right on ahead and tell everyone in Oklahoma that their weather is better than California's, and the scenery is superior too.

I took this photo of cold, damp, dreary California in winter, this afternoon. It was 48F and we were out for a walk.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Californian moves to Oklahoma!-rainbow-2-11-29-m.jpg  

Last edited by saibot; 11-29-2019 at 09:03 PM..

Old 11-30-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Sure, Sac is the city of trees. But just step right to the edge of Sacramento, drive just past Natomas. It's just flat and barren. At least OKC has more rolling hills and oak trees right outside the city.

Sacramento is sunnier than OKC in the summer, but in January and February Sacramento receives less sun than Boston and about as much as Chicago. OKC has sunnier January and February weather.

I'm sure Tahoe looks great in the winter, with all the snow, but come on, why do I have to drive an hour outside of Sacramento just to get good scenery, when I can get good scenery in OKC right in OKC?
That's not Tahoe. It's Placerville looking east.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:56 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Wikipedia says that almost every year, OKC has snow accumulation, and on average has 6-7 inches of snow a year.

Seems like it's been very mild for the past two weeks. At this rate, doesn't seem like it will snow. Or am I wrong?

Other people tell me that it only snows significantly every four years, but that when it does snow, it'll snow two feet in a single year.

I'm surprised by how sunny it's been. Looks like there's been a good amount of rain, but it just rains for a day or two, and then it's mostly sunshine. Judging from weather charts, January is even sunnier, with an impressive 200 hours of sunshine, i.e. 64 percent of max possible sunshine given at this latitude. Back in California, we have very rainy winters, which means you get only 140 or so hours of sunshine (a measly 48 percent) of possible sunshine given the latitude. I'm loving the late autumn/winter sun. Even when it's only 30 degrees outside here in OKC, I don't feel cold, because it's a sunny 30 degrees. Over in California, I feel very cold at 45 degrees, because it's usually a very rainy, damp, windy 45 degrees.

The scenery here also beats California. You've got more trees, more rolling terrain. Back in Sacramento, all you have is flat, barren land.
You have to remember, we are still in the fall of the year. Winter doesn't even begin for another 4 weeks. There is still plenty of time for cold, rain, ice and snow so don't put your gloves, winter coat, boots and snow shovel away just yet.

Old 11-30-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You go right on ahead and tell everyone in Oklahoma that their weather is better than California's, and the scenery is superior too.

I took this photo of cold, damp, dreary California in winter, this afternoon. It was 48F and we were out for a walk.
I'm more referring to Northern California.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:55 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
I'm more referring to Northern California.
Well then, be more specific and do not act as though "Sacramento" equals "California."

Old 11-30-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:

MrJester, I'll admit I'm not that familiar with OKC as I've only driven through it on my way toward Tulsa, but I'm curious. Where is the area in OKC that has the rolling hills? I did see some rolling land over around Pawhuska, but I didn't see much around OKC. Seems like the hills started east of Tulsa. I like Pushmataha county the most. It's quite pretty.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
MrJester, I'll admit I'm not that familiar with OKC as I've only driven through it on my way toward Tulsa, but I'm curious. Where is the area in OKC that has the rolling hills? I did see some rolling land over around Pawhuska, but I didn't see much around OKC. Seems like the hills started east of Tulsa. I like Pushmataha county the most. It's quite pretty.
Mustang, Oklahoma, just West of Will Rogers Airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City