Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 02:25 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am starting my first job at Will Rogers Airport soon. I'm looking forward to the conservative values and friendly locals, as well as the spectacular thunderstorms and snow!

I am currently looking for apartments; people have said Mustang is a good area, safe and close to the airport. But is Mustang noisy from its proximity to the airport? What about Moore and South OKC?

I found that two bedroom apts. cost anywhere from 850-930/mo., for a 15 mo. lease. Do you know of anything cheaper Moore or South OKC? Though I am a single guy, I want to rent a two-bedroom apt. so I can split the cost with another single guy.

Never been to OKC, but based on a google maps street view of South OKC and Moore, there seem to be many new, well-planned areas with golf courses; I'm assuming that's a sign of affluence and safety.

A few other questions:

How often does it snow in OKC? Do you need snow chains, does your car rust, and how fast or slow can you drive when it snows?

In the summer, how humid and lush does it get? I interned during one summer on the Mississippi Gulf Coast where it's as hot, humid, and lush as Florida. I'm guessing that OKC's "humidity" is nothing compared to the Gulf Coast. Do you ever get dew points in the 70s? 80s? Do your glasses fog up when you step outside? (Even here in San Diego we got dew points in the low 70s with temps in the low 90s last summer). And of course, the dew point often exceeds 80 in Mississippi.

How "Southern" does OKC feel? In my mind, The South conjures up scenery straight out of Forrest Gump, with sprawling plantation houses, spanish moss, pine forests, bayous, and Waffle Houses on every corner. I heard OKC is more barren, with small, rolling hills and red soil--but with Waffle Houses nonetheless. People say Oklahoma is a mini-Texas; is Oklahoma as redneck as Mississippi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 04:14 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Hi everyone,

I am starting my first job at Will Rogers Airport soon. I'm looking forward to the conservative values and friendly locals, as well as the spectacular thunderstorms and snow!

I am currently looking for apartments; people have said Mustang is a good area, safe and close to the airport. But is Mustang noisy from its proximity to the airport? What about Moore and South OKC?

Mustang is not noisy at all. Moore and South OKC aren't really either except for parts you probably don't want to live in.

I found that two bedroom apts. cost anywhere from 850-930/mo., for a 15 mo. lease. Do you know of anything cheaper Moore or South OKC? Though I am a single guy, I want to rent a two-bedroom apt. so I can split the cost with another single guy.

Don't know but if I were a single guy I'd pick Moore over Mustang. And I'd pick either over South OKC (the part that is north of I-240 anyway) although that is where you are going to find the cheapest rents. It's mostly hispanic/latino these days.

Never been to OKC, but based on a google maps street view of South OKC and Moore, there seem to be many new, well-planned areas with golf courses; I'm assuming that's a sign of affluence and safety.

There are some golf courses and there are some nice neighborhoods, but the golf courses are not the best ones around the area.

A few other questions:

How often does it snow in OKC? Do you need snow chains, does your car rust, and how fast or slow can you drive when it snows?

Snow maybe 3 x a winter at most. Ice maybe 3-4 x a winter. You don't need snow chains, never heard of anybodies care rusting but they do salt the roads. The amount of ice and snow as well as quality of ice and snow varies and so do driving speeds. That part of town is flat so it's pretty easy to get around. Double your travel time as a rule. Generally everything melts in one to three days unless there is a long cold snap.

In the summer, how humid and lush does it get? I interned during one summer on the Mississippi Gulf Coast where it's as hot, humid, and lush as Florida. I'm guessing that OKC's "humidity" is nothing compared to the Gulf Coast. Do you ever get dew points in the 70s? 80s? Do your glasses fog up when you step outside? (Even here in San Diego we got dew points in the low 70s with temps in the low 90s last summer). And of course, the dew point often exceeds 80 in Mississippi.

Not as humid as the deep south on a consistent basis but it can be. Usually when it gets really hot it dries out some. June is usually the lushest month but it's not really a "lush" landscape so keep that in mind. July usually starts out humid and ends up dry and August and early September are hot and dry. Mid September the weather usually breaks and becomes decent.

How "Southern" does OKC feel? In my mind, The South conjures up scenery straight out of Forrest Gump, with sprawling plantation houses, spanish moss, pine forests, bayous, and Waffle Houses on every corner. I heard OKC is more barren, with small, rolling hills and red soil--but with Waffle Houses nonetheless. People say Oklahoma is a mini-Texas; is Oklahoma as redneck as Mississippi?
This is a point of contention on the board and in the state in general. I've lived in the deep south (North Florida) and I don't think OKC is even close to as southern as North Florida. Probably "southern lite" would be the best way to put it.

Most people who come from other parts of the United States besides the south will recognize the "southernness" and most people from the south will recognize some "midwestern plains" or southwestern ranch/ cowboy culture.

OKC are is somewhat like north Texas with a touch of Ft. Smith, Wichita and Amarillo thrown in.

Not as rednecky as Mississippi but the part of town you are talking about is somewhat working class (although Moore and Mustang have a lot of upper middle class).

Old 10-29-2019, 10:23 PM

Is it fair to say, though, that Oklahoma as a whole is just as redneck as Mississippi? Of course OKC is a big city so some it's less redneck than the rest of the state.

I get the feeling that if Canada is some smaller, knockoff America, then Oklahoma is this smaller, knock-off version of Texas. You know, that feeling you get in Canada as an American--where your typical Canadian town feels like any typical American town, except all the road signs are changed, and all the chain stores are replaced with knockoffs (like Tim Horton's instead of Dunkin Donuts). Is there this similar feeling that OKC is some bizzaro world version of Dallas?

Old 10-30-2019, 12:39 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Is it fair to say, though, that Oklahoma as a whole is just as redneck as Mississippi? Of course OKC is a big city so some it's less redneck than the rest of the state.

I get the feeling that if Canada is some smaller, knockoff America, then Oklahoma is this smaller, knock-off version of Texas. You know, that feeling you get in Canada as an American--where your typical Canadian town feels like any typical American town, except all the road signs are changed, and all the chain stores are replaced with knockoffs (like Tim Horton's instead of Dunkin Donuts). Is there this similar feeling that OKC is some bizzaro world version of Dallas?
No, on the whole Oklahoma is not quite as redneck as Mississippi until you get in the southeast part. That's where more further right conservative values are at as well as in most of western Oklahoma. Much of those areas are so conservative that they soundly voted against Oklahoma legalizing medical marijuana in 2018. Many Oklahoma City precincts voted in favor of legalizing medical marijuana by huge amounts.

I think Oklahoma is unique enough not to be a knockoff version of Texas. The very different history of Texas and Oklahoma help make it so. Oklahoma City is more worried about keeping ahead of Tulsa than being some version of Dallas. Oklahoma City is also out front of Tulsa in becoming less conservative.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 10-30-2019 at 12:57 AM..

Old 10-30-2019, 08:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Oklahoma is neither a knock off nor some bizzaro version of Texas. It is Oklahoma.
I do not know what you mean by red neck. Generally housing has running water and power, nobody is concerned with what some politician did in California and girls wear makeup, most locals are fairly educated and speak some English. But get used to goats, long horns and horses grazing in the yard of million dollar homes. Safes on trips to the grocery store.

Mustang draws families with children because of the school system. Otherwise it is pretty quiet. Zero nightlife. The local newspaper prints booking photos and all the details on every arrest.
When it snows the airport shuts down and you stay home. The same when it ices over.
After your first spectacular thunderstorm you will have your fill. OKC area offers snow, ice, tornadoes, earthquakes, flash floods and a whiff of the occasional grass fire.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:15 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Is it fair to say, though, that Oklahoma as a whole is just as redneck as Mississippi?
A lot of Oklahoma is southern "lite" and so I'd say it would be more Mississippi "redneck" lite. We don't have as much "backwoods" so to speak as they do in the south. And western Oklahoma (with the exception of a couple of counties) has too much farming money and the legacy of oil money to be really "dirt poor redneck".
There ARE some counties in eastern Oklahoma that are extremely poor.

The fact that western Oklahoma counties voted against MMJ is more a function of being conservative as opposed to being "redneck" IMO.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

I think Oklahoma is unique enough not to be a knockoff version of Texas. The very different history of Texas and Oklahoma help make it so.
Do you think Oklahoma and Texas are culturally/geographically more different than Canada and the US are? Canada may have nearly the same accent and suburban sprawl as the US, but their history is vastly different.

On google maps, it seems like OKC and Dallas have very similar architecture, urban planning, and scenery, besides the fact that Dallas has a much larger downtown. On the other hand, Houston's architecture,urban planning, and scenery seems to have more in common with other Gulf Coast cities like Baton Rouge than it does with even Austin or Dallas.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:41 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Do you think Oklahoma and Texas are culturally/geographically more different than Canada and the US are? Canada may have nearly the same accent and suburban sprawl as the US, but their history is vastly different.

On google maps, it seems like OKC and Dallas have very similar architecture, urban planning, and scenery, besides the fact that Dallas has a much larger downtown. On the other hand, Houston's architecture,urban planning, and scenery seems to have more in common with other Gulf Coast cities like Baton Rouge than it does with even Austin or Dallas.

North and West Texas along with Western Arkansas are the areas most culturally akin to the vast majority of Oklahoma. Oklahoma is a strong mixture of Western and Southern culture. For whatever reason, the Western culture or just that venacular "Western culture" gets really downplayed or forgotten about when talking about Okie culture. Given its Old Southwest history and topography it is different than any state while remaining close ties to North and West Texas and Fort Smith = associated with OK City and NW Arkansas being associated with T-Town.

By "redneck" I think you actually mean "hillbilly." There is a difference. The Deep South, such as Mississippi, has a plethora of hillbilly types. Oklahoma, as EddieG said, is a Southern derivative. It is Southern, it's just not the Deep South...and here on the West side of the South, we tend to have more rednecks. (i.e. Oklahoma, as the SOUTHwest or Western South is full of rednecks, which are more found in the cowboy ranching and farming communities of Oklahoma and Texas.)

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 10-30-2019 at 01:52 PM..

Old 10-30-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
By "redneck" I think you actually mean "hillbilly." There is a difference. The Deep South, such as Mississippi, has a plethora of hillbilly types. Oklahoma, as EddieG said, is a Southern derivative. It is Southern, it's just not the Deep South...and here on the West side of the South, we tend to have more rednecks. (i.e. Oklahoma, as the SOUTHwest or Western South is full of rednecks, which are more found in the cowboy ranching and farming communities of Oklahoma and Texas.)
Interesting. What's the difference between hillbilly, redneck, and religious and conservative but neither hillbilly nor redneck?

I thought hillbilly means you live in the Ozarks or Appalachians, and redneck means you live in the low, flat lands of the Deep South.

Then there's the Mormons, who are not Southern (except for Glenn Beck), but have sky-high gun ownership rates.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:25 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Spend a month or 2 in the deep South and you'll get a good feel for what a redneck really is. Alabama or Mississippi especially.
A redneck is not just some guy who works outdoors and gets his neck sunburned.
Okies as a whole are not nearly as redneck as folks from the deep South IMHO.

That said, I kinda like rednecks as long as they don't say"Roll Tide" too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City