Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2023, 02:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Customers do but not gas station attendants. They do this work 40 hours a week. They wouldn't last the first day, if they didn't know the difference between gas and diesel. Gas station attendants putting the wrong gas in cars is nothing but fear mongering from people who don't live her. The lengths some people will go through to destroy American jobs.
of the 'misfuels' I am aware of in my last 50+ yrs of driving and gas station employment, I have ONLY encountered 'misfuels' in Oregon, from supposedly pump jockey professionals. An owner KNOWS whether to put gas or diesel in THEIR vehicle. A pump jockey often assumes. Sometimes they're wrong. Happened to (4) of our house guests from Canada (while fueling via 'professionals (?)' in Oregon). "What? your CAR takes diesel!, I've never seen a car that ran on diesel" (from well educated Oregon pump jockeys). The Canadian drivers didn't CHECK to verify the Oregon attendant chose the right fuel, as the Canadians have been fueled in Canada for decades without error.

It would be VERY rare to have Diesel put into a gas (ick) car, since most cars in Oregon burn gas (ick).

Oh well, hopefully never again (As soon as the LAST professional pump jocket departs Oregon, sooner the better)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2023, 05:00 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Customers do but not gas station attendants. They do this work 40 hours a week. They wouldn't last the first day, if they didn't know the difference between gas and diesel. Gas station attendants putting the wrong gas in cars is nothing but fear mongering from people who don't live her. The lengths some people will go through to destroy American jobs.
You lie. Exact experience cost me 3 hrs lost in Hermiston due to this mistake ny a "highly trained and experienced" gas jockey. Station owner had to pump out tank. I did get a "free" tank of gas though.

You really love this non value add, service don't ya?

Old 08-04-2023, 05:09 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Add on to last post.
The station owner was set up to drain incorrectly filled tanks and said this mistake happens every "every so often."

This is just one station only so you know it happens every day.

Mistakes and errors happen in life. To think otherwise is dumb.

Old 08-04-2023, 05:11 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
of the 'misfuels' I am aware of in my last 50+ yrs of driving and gas station employment, I have ONLY encountered 'misfuels' in Oregon, from supposedly pump jockey professionals. An owner KNOWS whether to put gas or diesel in THEIR vehicle. A pump jockey often assumes. Sometimes they're wrong. Happened to (4) of our house guests from Canada (while fueling via 'professionals (?)' in Oregon). "What? your CAR takes diesel!, I've never seen a car that ran on diesel" (from well educated Oregon pump jockeys). The Canadian drivers didn't CHECK to verify the Oregon attendant chose the right fuel, as the Canadians have been fueled in Canada for decades without error.

It would be VERY rare to have Diesel put into a gas (ick) car, since most cars in Oregon burn gas (ick).

Oh well, hopefully never again (As soon as the LAST professional pump jocket departs Oregon, sooner the better)

For the disbelievers:

Yes, there are cars that use diesel. My Dad had one. I did a duck go search for cars and diesels. Tried to do a copy and paste for the link but my iPhone wouldn’t cooperate. I did manage to get this piece.
Best Diesel SUV • 2023 Chevrolet Tahoe Diesel

You can do either search. Keywords to use: car and diesel

However, I thought there was a nozzle issue. One wouldn’t fit the other.

Not that it happens often but wasn’t it a tanker that put the wrong fuel in the ground pumps last year or the year before that?

Last edited by cat1116; 08-04-2023 at 05:23 AM..

Old 08-06-2023, 08:42 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
For the disbelievers:

Yes, there are cars that use diesel. My Dad had one. I did a duck go search for cars and diesels. Tried to do a copy and paste for the link but my iPhone wouldn’t cooperate. I did manage to get this piece.
Best Diesel SUV • 2023 Chevrolet Tahoe Diesel

You can do either search. Keywords to use: car and diesel

However, I thought there was a nozzle issue. One wouldn’t fit the other.

Not that it happens often but wasn’t it a tanker that put the wrong fuel in the ground pumps last year or the year before that?
I didn't think that you could put diesel in a standard gas car. Maybe years ago?

https://vehq.com/are-diesel-nozzles-bigger-than-gas/

Old 08-06-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I didn't think that you could put diesel in a standard gas car. Maybe years ago?

https://vehq.com/are-diesel-nozzles-bigger-than-gas/
The more common error is a pump jockey putting gasoline into the majority of cars for hours / days on end... then someone pulls in with a diesel (usually from out-of USA), and does not specifically inform the attendant their vehilce requires diesel, so the pump jockey does what has has done hundreds of times already that day (fills with gas). 10 miles down the road bad things happen and the car conks out. Makes for a very long day. Then about 6-8 months later the $5000 injection pump is dead due to the wear and damage from the wrong fuel.

Not pretty, hopefully it won't happen any more in OR.

but...unfortunately, the saga will drag on, ... and on... (same as it always has been...) the station can REQUIRE 100% ATTENDED PUMPS if they desire, the drivers MUST comply and NOT self serve, or they will be in violation of the law. BDTD many times while driving diesels for last 40+ yrs... While allowed by Oregon law to self serve diesel for these last 40 yrs, some stations have not allowed self serve diesel, and that is their right.

No, Oregon drivers do not have a right to self-service gas if a station doesn't offer it

If a station owner wants to operate fewer self-service pumps, or none at all, that’s entirely up to them.

There’s also nothing in the language of the bill that specifies what individual drivers are entitled to do. It’s entirely focused on what gas stations are allowed to offer.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/ver...e-f5fcf26dcabd

Old 08-06-2023, 10:08 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No, Oregon drivers do not have a right to self-service gas if a station doesn't offer it

If a station owner wants to operate fewer self-service pumps, or none at all, that’s entirely up to them.

There’s also nothing in the language of the bill that specifies what individual drivers are entitled to do. It’s entirely focused on what gas stations are allowed to offer.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/ver...e-f5fcf26dcabd
Any idea why gas stations wouldn't beyond simple disdain for change (stuck in their old ways) or blaming California for it? I've driven through some near ghost town parts where I could imagine this. 'Listen sonny boy, I've been doin' it this way for 50 years and I aint changing now!' I mean what's the business advantage in requiring customers to wait for the pump jockey beyond stubborn?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-06-2023 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-06-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Any idea why gas stations wouldn't beyond simple disdain for change ... what's the business advantage in requiring customers to wait for the pump jockey beyond stubborn?
Maybe some owners don't want to cut those menial jobs

or

They truly believe that RISK / DANGER / HARM / LIABILITY exists in self service.

or

They are control freaks (plenty of those out there)

Or

It is not feasible to comply with the NEW rules (at least 50% pumps are 'staffed as service' ) That is a total PITA from an employer standpoint (Expense / scheduling / L&I, Payroll, all the hard, burdensome, and expensive stuff as an employer still needs to be done...). AND... no Self Service ONLY... during OFF / CLOSED HOURS (unless already meeting the previous 'rural' exception)

This is not a very decisive and progressive law. It's just more nanny rules (for station owners) and there will be a lot more anger and contention from customers and employees to enforce these new rules.

Old 08-07-2023, 12:31 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
So Oregon drivers are either too lazy or too stupid to pump their own gas?

Old 08-07-2023, 04:56 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So Oregon drivers are either too lazy or too stupid to pump their own gas?
Maybe Oregon drivers are smart and don't work for free? At least until now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon