Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 01:21 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,605,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Burberry on Walnut is closing. I am disappointed. We gain Uniqlo -a cheap retail, but we lose Burberry which is a high-end retail.
The Burberry space is already spoken for -- it will be a Michael Kors: Woot! Michael Kors and J.Crew Men's Headed for Walnut - Storecasting - Racked Philly

Some other good snippets of information in that article, including some other potential turnover.

Burberry likely had to terminate their lease from the building being sold -- hopefully they will pop-up elsewhere in Center City. I have confidence that they will, since they have long had a foothold in Philadelphia and would seem strange to abandon the city during its upswing.

Uniqlo may not be considered high-end, but they are a very trendy and "hot" brand for downtown retail. They picked Philly after NY and SF before cities like LA, Boston, Chicago and DC for their expansion, so that definitely speaks to the current strength of retail in the city.

Last edited by Duderino; 01-13-2014 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 03:26 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The Burberry space is already spoken for -- it will be a Michael Kors: Woot! Michael Kors and J.Crew Men's Headed for Walnut - Storecasting - Racked Philly

Some other good snippets of information in that article, including some other potential turnover.

Burberry likely had to terminate their lease from the building being sold -- hopefully they will pop-up elsewhere in Center City. I have confidence that they will, since they have long had a foothold in Philadelphia and would seem strange to abandon the city during its upswing.

Uniqlo may not be considered high-end, but they are a very trendy and "hot" brand for downtown retail. They picked Philly after NY and SF before cities like LA, Boston, Chicago and DC for their expansion, so that definitely speaks to the current strength of retail in the city.
I really hope Burberry seeks out a new and larger space soon! That is arguably the most upscale shop in the store in the city, and is always quite busy when I walk by.

And is there a Marc by Marc Jacobs in the works as well, or is that simply a rumor??

Old 01-13-2014, 03:37 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
Was on Walnut yesterday and it looks like they've finally blocked off the SE corner of 15th to take down the existing structure and make room for the "Cheesecake Factory Building." Wonder how much the final design will resemble the one the developers rolled out: Changing Skyline: New Cheesecake Factory at 15th and Walnut: A creamy-rich glass box

Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,139 times
I agree Burberry is the most upscale retail we have on Walnut corridor. I am surprised considering that I read somewhere that the Walnut store has been performing well.
In my humble opinion, Michael Kors is just a typical mall designer store - just like Coach. It is overrated. It does not have the same wow factor as Burberry. But I am happy that the space will be filled up.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:46 PM

802 posts, read 1,321,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Was on Walnut yesterday and it looks like they've finally blocked off the SE corner of 15th to take down the existing structure and make room for the "Cheesecake Factory Building." Wonder how much the final design will resemble the one the developers rolled out: Changing Skyline: New Cheesecake Factory at 15th and Walnut: A creamy-rich glass box
Too bad they couldn't save those buildings and put Cheesecake Factory in there. That new design is a big mess of glass ugly-ness.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:54 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,605,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
Too bad they couldn't save those buildings and put Cheesecake Factory in there. That new design is a big mess of glass ugly-ness.
I have to disagree. I know modern design isn't everyone's favorite, especially in a historic city like Philadelphia -- but not every structure can be saved, nor is every structure worth saving.

I personally love the juxtaposition of sleek glass with historic architecture. It creates a really cool vibe, and Philly would benefit from a lot more structures like it.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:52 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duderino View Post
i have to disagree. I know modern design isn't everyone's favorite, especially in a historic city like philadelphia -- but not every structure can be saved, nor is every structure worth saving.

I personally love the juxtaposition of sleek glass with historic architecture. It creates a really cool vibe, and philly would benefit from a lot more structures like it.
^this!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,069 times
One of the long-time obstacles to modern retail in Philly has been how small commercial lots and structures are on the main commercial strips (ie: Walnut Street). Developers like Midwood have been addressing this for years since they started investing in Philly, and this has been their - successful - approach. Combining lots and building larger structures in the shopping districts is the only way to attract the higher level retail that everyone wants to locate in the city instead of KoP. And they're hiring local architects to design the building.

SoHo is such a successful example of modern shopping an historic district precisely because those deep lots and old cast iron buildings have the advantage of being massive and high ceilinged enough to easily support modern large scale retail and flagship stores.
And the particular building in question on Walnut was disproportionately low-rise, and not especially historically significant.

Anyone who follows my posting knows I'm a big advocate for (smart) historic preservation, and I fully support this particular project.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post

Well now I will get to sample the place because all the other ones are either in jersey or the suburbs.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:18 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
One of the long-time obstacles to modern retail in Philly has been how small commercial lots and structures are on the main commercial strips (ie: Walnut Street). Developers like Midwood have been addressing this for years since they started investing in Philly, and this has been their - successful - approach. Combining lots and building larger structures in the shopping districts is the only way to attract the higher level retail that everyone wants to locate in the city instead of KoP. And they're hiring local architects to design the building.

SoHo is such a successful example of modern shopping an historic district precisely because those deep lots and old cast iron buildings have the advantage of being massive and high ceilinged enough to easily support modern large scale retail and flagship stores.
And the particular building in question on Walnut was disproportionately low-rise, and not especially historically significant.

Anyone who follows my posting knows I'm a big advocate for (smart) historic preservation, and I fully support this particular project.
I agree with what your saying..however the difference between SoHo and here is that SoHo is filled with people who have a lot of money.

Retailers choose KoP and will probably continue to do so because KoP can support having that kind of caliber of retail.

Its great to see Philadelphia on the upswing, but an image of SoHo is probably a decade away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia