Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times

Advertisements

Why did you choose to interpret my comments that way? Read my entire post, please and take it in its entirety.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 12:14 PM

403 posts, read 1,119,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Why did you choose to interpret my comments that way? Read my entire post, please and take it in its entirety.

H
I did read it. I replied to the first part. Your greedy government screed is irrelevant to this conversation, as far as I'm concerned. It is, after all, the people who elect a government that won't deal decisively with illegals and the crime that always follows them.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:10 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian_Artist View Post
I did read it. I replied to the first part. Your greedy government screed is irrelevant to this conversation, as far as I'm concerned. It is, after all, the people who elect a government that won't deal decisively with illegals and the crime that always follows them.
The majority of the gang "issues" from what I understand are not comprised of or committed by undocumented people. Crime and gang activity are different things, even if they can go hand in hand. I also wonder how people are so sure that immigrants are all here illegally (or that they're gang members). Being Latino doesn't mean you're here illegally, whether you speak English fluently or not, nor does it mean you're in a gang. However, anytime there's an issue the person is automatically claimed to be "illegal."

There are also problems (according to the police stats) with Latino, Black, Asian and Russian gangs to varying degrees. We could also add the white (American) born meth dealers to the list among others. Crime is equal opportunity.

Last edited by oldtintype; 03-17-2008 at 01:21 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 PM

The ones in my neighborhood are illegal immigrant gangs.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:26 PM

How do you know they're all illegal?

Old 03-17-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
How do you know they're all illegal?
A better question would be: how does someone who obviously doesn't live in my neighborhood have the gall to question me on what's in my neighborhood?

See, the problem is that you object to my characterization of the gangs as being illegal, which would seem to imply that they have a legal right to be here--they don't.

Additionally, you wouldn't have a problem if I said that a bunch of white meth heads have taken over my neighborhood. But if we interject race, then Old Tin Ear girts his liberal loins, and is ready for battle. Not the tough kind of battle, mind you, the wussy keyboard kind.

Your precariously unintellectual position aside, I know they're illegal aliens because I interact with them--period. If I'm to be taken out of the consideration, then my neighbors (who are also mostly Hispanic) know who the gang members are, and confirm that they are illegals.

Then, of course, we have the Washington County Sheriffs officers that I chat with at least once a week, who inform all of us, both white and Hispanic, that these gangs are made up of illegal aliens. And that the state of Oregon won't empower them to hold the offenders for deportation, because they'd sure like to.

Your armchair quarterbacking of my analysis is based on an inability to deal with reality. You don't like it, so you challenge it, even though you have no logical basis for doing so.

So here's a two-part question for you: 1) Prove that I'm wrong. 2) Stand up and tell the rest of the class why you can't stomach anyone pointing the finger at illegal immigration. Hint: for extra points describe said same within the context of how it would be so much better if it were whites destroying their own neighborhoods and minorities were somehow inexplicably blameless. As I'm sure you'd be okay with someone describing that.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:06 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,180 times
Wow. Does Oregon really not deport illegals? Do you know why?

Old 03-17-2008, 05:59 PM

[quote=Venusian_Artist;3168832]A better question would be: how does someone who obviously doesn't live in my neighborhood have the gall to question me on what's in my neighborhood? >>

I have the "GALL" to question you? Didn't realize that wasn't allowed! Yes, I'm questioning what you're saying because you made a lot of generalizations about everyone in your area without data and make it sound like all of the Portland area is a massive cesspool of illegal immigrant gang violence. And yes, it is quite different to say meth heads are taking over an area than "Mexicans" are taking over the area. If you can't see why that is that's I guess part of the issue.

And I asked how you know how the Mexicans in your area are all here illegally, not that gangs were legal. I'm asking you know how the PEOPLE are illegal. Big difference. I have no problem discussing illegal immigration if we know in fact that the people are actually undocumented. But a big part of the time it's just a stereotype based on ethnicity. I deal with it in my job and it gets old. The majority of Latino people are good people not gang members but many members of this board tend to say things like Hillsburrito and Hillsbarrio like it's hilarious.

Lastly, I did point out that a lot of the same activity is perpetuated by whites in the form of Russian gangs but no one seems to ***** about them because they seem to blend in better apparently. FWIW I'm not male and since you asked me to inform the class, no, I'm not an illegal immigrant either.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:36 PM

69 posts, read 166,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
Just like anywhere else in America. Cheap wages......Rich get richer, poor get poorer

Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 AM

534 posts, read 1,169,946 times
Quote:
No state can actually deport anyone from the country (though I suppose you could give them all bus tickets to CA ). That's up to the Immigration & Customs Enforcement, or what used to be the old INS.

Now, some states DO hold illegals and turn them over to ICE for deportation, but other states (and I'm guessing OR is one) will not allow their state or local law enforcement officers to detain anyone on the question of citizenship status. So the only way to get rid of illegals it to wait for them to commit a crime, jail them, and notify ICE. And if ICE has enough manpower, they'll put a detainer on that person and hopefully get rid of them.

This is an informative thread for me since Sandy, OR has just popped up on my radar as yet another possible job opportunity. I'm looking at surrounding areas where my wife and I might be able to live (and for her, find work) and Gresham was pretty high on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland