Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 11:24 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,203 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure the gang activity in Portland aint s--t compared to here in LA. If you want to see some real gang activity visit the South Central and Compton areas of LA. All you'll see while driving around is burglar bars on peoples houses and gang tagging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:50 AM

403 posts, read 1,120,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I'm pretty sure the gang activity in Portland aint s--t compared to here in LA. If you want to see some real gang activity visit the South Central and Compton areas of LA. All you'll see while driving around is burglar bars on peoples houses and gang tagging.
Otherwise known as the my **** is bigger than yours argument. You can keep your California, we don't want it here; that's the point. It's too late to complain once it's as bad as LA.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian_Artist View Post
Otherwise known as the my **** is bigger than yours argument. You can keep your California, we don't want it here; that's the point. It's too late to complain once it's as bad as LA.

Thats exactlly why I want to leave California

Old 04-08-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Thats exactlly why I want to leave California
And that's why I left as well. Portland is much better than Cali--weather notwithstanding.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
And that's why I left as well. Portland is much better than Cali--weather notwithstanding.

Yeah my whole family has already left, my parents and brothers. They moved to the south though, TN and KY.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah my whole family has already left, my parents and brothers. They moved to the south though, TN and KY.
How do they like it? I've been eyeballing the Eastern region a bit.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
How do they like it? I've been eyeballing the Eastern region a bit.

They like it. Both of my brothers are in the Army in KY, thats part of the reason why they left. But both of them said though they would never move back to Cali. Traffic is alot better there, people are nicer, cheaper. My parents left last month. Sold there house for $500K and are renting a house in TN for $600 a month. There mortage here in Fullerton was $3000 a month before they left.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:23 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Nearly all of the working class whites fled their inner cities in the 50's and now their children are coming back. They don't want to spend two, sometimes more, hours of their days in traffic commuting to their jobs from 'safe' suburban homes. I too have to think there must be a better way to deal with this issue than picking up and moving away. What I can tell you from direct, up close observation is that the young urban professionals in NY that are calling Bedford Stuyvesant, Crown Heights and East New York, Brooklyn home are living in ground zero of some of the toughest, grittiest urban squalor there is. Makes any part of Oregon look like Hyde Park by comparison. To date none, none, have been killed or raped by gang thugs. Aside from the odd mugging the young pioneers know that despite the menacing appearance of the gang bangers posed on the corner that they are not interested in attacking people that belong to the dominant culture. More muggings of white people take place in the better neighborhoods and these do not result in any loss of life. Surroundings are not pretty. That's what happens when you abandon an area and leave it for dead. Only some of this is due to the actions of the majority element. No, the overwhelming cause of urban blight is the neglect that results when 'people that matter' no longer populate an area and the city takes away police protection and infrastructure isn't maintained. NY and other places have the model of the Hassidic Jewish community, a minority community (in numbers) that refuse to be ignored by city planners and take law enforcement and public health and education and other services into their own jurisdiction to fill in the municipalities blanks. They don't complain about the way things are, they make them over in the way that they want (need) them to be. Blacks cannot do this, nor can brown skinned people to any great extent. Belive it or not V.A. we depend on people like you not to abandon the communities you created because once you leave so will all the vital services that make a community viable. Absolutely order and safety need to be maintained and this doesn't mean cracking on illegals. It is more likely that the slide to ruin began when whites with drug habits or lazy senses of responsibility let their property fall to the point where the only way it could continue to provide income was as a single room occupancy. I've probably stepped on some toes for which I apologize but its time some of you heard another side to this.

H

Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM

Hey Leisesturm, not trying to pick on you, but PARAGRAPHS. I couldn't follow any of that, and I'm sure there was at least a sentence or two of interest.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,917 times
IMO, certain areas of Portland have gang problems. I grew up in Northeast and North Portland, lived all throughout that part of the city in the late 80's and 90's until recently. I know the area like the back of my hand its nothin. The gang problem now, is nothing compared to the 80's/90's but it does still exist. Back in the day there was shootings ALL THE TIME. It was non-stop...There was areas that the police would'nt even go to, for instance, the Columbia Villa, ask anybody who lived in the Villa back then, how bad it really was! You did'nt go into the Villa, unless you we're from the Villa! I remember falling asleep to gun-shots damn near every night! But now that area is much nicer, although it is still the most crime-stricken place in the city, and still has the most homicides, despite what the others say. Go to Portlandmaps.com and look for yourself. Outer Southeast Portland was having gang problems for awhile but has calmed down alot to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland