Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 27,380 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Portland in less then a month, I was originally born in Portland, 22 years old and starting back to college/ work fulltime. I am a little concerned about the degree of danger I may be in with the amount of gang activity in Portland and the surrounding area. I love to wear bright outstanding clothing, sometimes baggy for the "G" look and the preppy look and just am wondering whats the real deal with all the gang activity. My family live in gresham, hillsboro, sorrounding areas, they say it is a big concern, and maybe I should watch what I wear, i hear in the news of innocent people getting gunned down in LA, I know portlands know LA when it comes to violence and gangs but idk i am just wondering. Please give me some insight and help me understand what the real deal is. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 09:26 PM

97 posts, read 503,861 times
Default Hillsboro, Gresham, Etc

Yes, the gangbangers that claim affiliation with gangs out of California are here in Portland. We have Sureno Vs. Norteno 18th st vs.13th st, on and on it goes. The problem is getting much worse, not better. According to local news last week, verified gang shootings/assaults etc, in Portland this year alone since January have already MATCHED the entire reported gang incidents for the ENTIRE year last year. Not good. Outer Sotheast/Notheast Portland, Gresham and Hillsboro are probably the most affected areas in Portland. Other areas throughout Oregon have gang issues as well. Good luck with your move.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:50 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
To be sure, Portland has gang violence. Especially in the Hillsboro & lower Gresham areas. However, from what I gather, it's not as bad as many other larger cities.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
It's miniscule compared to other places and you're not likely to have any horrible encounters. Don't believe the horror stories or at least consider them in perspective.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:42 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
It's miniscule compared to other places and you're not likely to have any horrible encounters. Don't believe the horror stories or at least consider them in perspective.
That seems to be what I've seen as well. LOTS of local complaints about it, especially because gang violence is trending upward, but still not on the level as elsewhere. It's just a new thing for local folks. The usual suspect neighborhoods seem to be north side, east side, Gresham, and (to a lesser extent) Hillsboro.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:41 PM

66 posts, read 247,073 times
There is no real gang problem in Portland. Don't worry about it at all.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM

403 posts, read 1,119,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantajo View Post
There is no real gang problem in Portland. Don't worry about it at all.
Nonsense. NE is bad. Gresham is bad. And Beaverton/Aloha is being taken over by Mexican gangs. A guy wearing the wrong colors got his head bashed in with a baseball bat just twenty feet from my front door. He was not affiliated with any gang, just wearing the wrong colors, when a car pulled up alongside him.

Having said that, it's still pretty unlikely that you'll personally fall victim to the same. But that's not to say there aren't gang-related problems. There's gray between "there's no real problem" and "it's out of control, all Hell has broken loose."

Old 03-11-2008, 12:46 PM

I think part of the problem is many Oregonians think any Mexican teen or male in their early 20s who doesn't dress just like them is a gang member. I sometimes sub in Rockwood and Gresham and see many of these kids. They're just that--kids, who dress a certain "style." It does not mean they're gang members anymore than white kids with baggy pants falling off their butts and baseball caps on backwards are.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:20 PM

403 posts, read 1,119,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I think part of the problem is many Oregonians think any Mexican teen or male in their early 20s who doesn't dress just like them is a gang member. I sometimes sub in Rockwood and Gresham and see many of these kids. They're just that--kids, who dress a certain "style." It does not mean they're gang members anymore than white kids with baggy pants falling off their butts and baseball caps on backwards are.
Dude, I'm from Oakland.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:28 PM

Well then you should know that your statement of "taken over by Mexican gangs" is a little bit of an exaggeration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland