Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 03:21 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,856,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
There are just as many edicts that effect left leaning people negatively and cost them money. My entire career is based on managing the many unfunded mandates placed upon academia by conservative politicians. Some are necessary, some are not.

I have been in Oregon long enough to remember the chronic stagnation that existed here when it was a red state mostly concerned with resource extraction. I lived in rural Oregon back then and it was a narrow upper class of wealthy farmers and Mormons, and a huge underclass of people who never could find a decent job and lived hand to mouth.

This whole discussion depresses me because it reflects the insanely strident political views held by many Americans these days. America was much better when regular people didn't think about politics so much, and politicians worked across party lines to find solutions and held the same basic values. Now the two ends of the political spectrum hate each other and are at each others throats, and no one makes any effort to actually solve societal problems.
Interesting POV and you are certainly entitled to it.

While I agree that there is more "at each other throat" activity, I welcome it. It perhaps shows that many Americans are no longer asleep while potentially bad things are occuring.

You say America was better when people did not think about politics so much and I will argue that Americans are now more attuned to the evils of Progressive Liberalism that has encroached into many facets of life.

For 50-70 years, the Left took for granted that they can control Schools, media, healthcare and higher Education amongst others. Now that is no longer true and it pisses them off - GOOD.

I do not think Conservative politicians own the unfunded mandate. I think all unfunded mandates have to pass a cost/benefit analysis. This real world tool is something that is usually lacking whenever government is involved in funding.

btw- what "societal problems" do you think a functioning government could actually solve. I would argue very few if any can be solved via government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 10:58 AM

333 posts, read 328,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Interesting POV and you are certainly entitled to it.

While I agree that there is more "at each other throat" activity, I welcome it.

btw- what "societal problems" do you think a functioning government could actually solve. I would argue very few if any can be solved via government.
I guess I would prefer to get along with my neighbors and those from different backgrounds, but I guess for natural born pugilists the corporate media driven status quo can be more enjoyable than the way things used to be, when people could disagree without losing their minds.

There are too many to count, but I use the provision of clean water and modern sewage as an example. Have you ever been to a country where the government does not provide clean water, and does not carry away and treat dirty water? I have. It's horrible, it's disgusting, and its deadly. And there is no way that private industry would or could do that vital task. Government fixed the societal problem of people drinking dirty water and dumping raw sewage in the streets.

It's funny how the right pretends they hate government so much, yet, all they want to do is be in government, and when they get there, they don't dismantle anything, and they don't want to leave power. They don't close schools, they don't disband the military, they don't fire cops and firefighters, they don't fire air traffic controllers, they don't stop building and maintaining transportation systems, they don't stop managing the financial system, they don't cut entitlements like social security and Medicare, etc, etc. There's a lot of talk about the evils of government, but once they get there, they realize that government is necessary, and ours is of high quality.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:26 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,856,083 times
Quote:
I guess I would prefer to get along with my neighbors and those from different backgrounds, but I guess for natural born pugilists the corporate media driven status quo can be more enjoyable than the way things used to be, when people could disagree without losing their minds.

There are too many to count, but I use the provision of clean water and modern sewage as an example. Have you ever been to a country where the government does not provide clean water, and does not carry away and treat dirty water? I have. It's horrible, it's disgusting, and its deadly. And there is no way that private industry would or could do that vital task. Government fixed the societal problem of people drinking dirty water and dumping raw sewage in the streets.

It's funny how the right pretends they hate government so much, yet, all they want to do is be in government, and when they get there, they don't dismantle anything, and they don't want to leave power. They don't close schools, they don't disband the military, they don't fire cops and firefighters, they don't fire air traffic controllers, they don't stop building and maintaining transportation systems, they don't stop managing the financial system, they don't cut entitlements like social security and Medicare, etc, etc. There's a lot of talk about the evils of government, but once they get there, they realize that government is necessary, and ours is of high quality.
Leftists only "get along" with either; 1) other lefties or 2) folks who don't challenge them. I like your implication of superiority and that right leaning people are racist because, apparently only you can get along with people from "different backgrounds."

Thanks for the laugh.

Washington is a seductive place and absolute power corrupts absolutely, its about power -nothing else.

Regarding your " high quality" comment- considering cost, our Govt is anything but "high quality."

Thanks for playing.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:38 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
JMO,
East of Bend/Redmond to Idaho's border does not have much in common to the Snake Valley nor to the BitterRoots- maybe a few orchard lands and and alfalfa fields. Boardman maybe cede to Washington.
This area of Oregon has more in common to northern Nevada and north eastern California.

Old 10-27-2022, 11:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
JMO,
East of Bend/Redmond to Idaho's border does not have much in common to the Snake Valley nor to the BitterRoots- maybe a few orchard lands and and alfalfa fields. Boardman maybe cede to Washington.
This area of Oregon has more in common to northern Nevada and north eastern California.
Anything is better than bowing to 'Salem!'

ID has a lot of Ag and very little left whackos (who insist you be JUST like them)

Oregon and Vermont are king of the hill for "Group-Think".

WA is day and night different in allowing individuals to actually think and state opinions. (Tho those opinions are vetoed by the 3 most populous counties (Who love to use, and recreate, and EAT from the benefits of the other 36 counties). Lots of 'employees' and 'renter' voters make very powerful decisions to hinder the job creators. WA, CA, OR... and now Coolrado.

Divisiveness? Oh yes! Do it the urban way, or "Move to Idaho!"

Very thoughtful of those renters who can relocate in a sedan, where farmers and ranchers who's great grandparents homesteaded the land (toiling by hand), and spent 100 yrs to develop soils, water systems, buildings, orchards... "YOU (farmers, ranchers, business developers, factories... ) can just get outta here!.", we want a mtn bike trail through your pasture. I takes years and 10's of thousands of dollars to move a farm, and may be generations before it's productive. Yet it takes 3 hrs to move out of an apartment and relocate. Makes sense

Old 10-28-2022, 07:55 AM

330 posts, read 428,308 times
Quote:
There are just as many edicts that effect left leaning people negatively and cost them money. My entire career is based on managing the many unfunded mandates placed upon academia by conservative politicians. Some are necessary, some are not.

I have been in Oregon long enough to remember the chronic stagnation that existed here when it was a red state mostly concerned with resource extraction. I lived in rural Oregon back then and it was a narrow upper class of wealthy farmers and Mormons, and a huge underclass of people who never could find a decent job and lived hand to mouth.

This whole discussion depresses me because it reflects the insanely strident political views held by many Americans these days. America was much better when regular people didn't think about politics so much, and politicians worked across party lines to find solutions and held the same basic values. Now the two ends of the political spectrum hate each other and are at each others throats, and no one makes any effort to actually solve societal problems.
very good perspective - people need to understand history or we are all condemmed to repeat it.

I had to quote your post because the forum won't let me "like" you yet again!

Old 10-28-2022, 12:07 PM

333 posts, read 328,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Leftists only "get along" with either; 1) other lefties or 2) folks who don't challenge them. I like your implication of superiority and that right leaning people are racist because, apparently only you can get along with people from "different backgrounds."

Thanks for the laugh.

Thanks for playing.
When I was talking about different backgrounds, I was referring to political orientation and rural vs urban, not race. I'm trying to get along with you and exchange viewpoints, but you're calling me a "leftist", so you're making that hard.

I don't want to turn this forum into a toxic online forum like the comment section of a news site, so I'll just say that you're welcome for my playing.

Old 10-29-2022, 06:26 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
I have heard no interest in the Idaho delegation to Congress that they are interested in adding Oregon counties to Idaho. I'm guessing the Oregon delegation isn't pursuing giving eastern counties to Idaho either. I live in Idaho, and grew up and got married in Oregon. I haven't heard of anyone in Idaho that I associate with saying they are looking forward to having the Eastern Oregon counties added to Idaho. It's more a "chuckle" and "yeah, they hate Portland over there in Eastern Oregon. We don't need that mess."

Good Luck, write your congressmen, and dream on...dream until your dreams come true...
That sums up this whole ridiculous thing. Yeah, politically motivated and hating on Portland where most Oregonians reside and pay taxes for everyone's else's stuff. Political pipe dream is calling, no doubt. Any old boomer rockers in the house? Dream on!!

Derek

Old 10-29-2022, 10:14 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Oh give me a break. If there is no more space, then how is Idaho growing 3.4% per year? Did it just fill up yesterday? The NO VACANCY sign just turned on?

Idaho has half the population density of Oregon. If you want to live in Idaho, then move there.
Idaho is 70% public land. Oregon is 60% public land.

If you take the population of Idaho and divide it by private land acreage.....Idaho's population density is equal to that of West Virginia. Do you want to live back EAST??

I lived in Idaho in the 1970's. I won't move back...it is over populated. Too much traffic and people everywhere.

The only thing saving Idaho is that 70% in public ownership. But even there, Forest Service and BLM roads are crowded with people.

The life in Idaho these days is living in a crowded subdivision during the week and in a crowded campground on weekends.

Idaho needed a NO VACANCY sign in 1990.

Old 10-29-2022, 11:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Of course we all know it will never happen, but that does not mean it shouldn't happen. (as with a lot of things in the USA political system, which may have outlived its purpose and usefulness.)

Societal divisiveness became the norm several yrs ago. (though different viewpoints are part of what makes a nation great)
Condescension and manipulation has replaced meaningful and purposed debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland