Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:17 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,750,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yep. Mother Nature can pull some really nasty tricks! Ten years after the procedure:

Failure rate with the old "cut and tie" method: 0.75% if done immediately after delivery; 2.01% if done later.

Falope ring: 1.77%

Filshie clip: 0.23%

Bipolar coagulation ("burning" with an electric current): 2.48%

Failures occur because the tube recannulates and opens up. Rings and clips can fall off, even if properly applied.

The newest methods involve placing a coil inside the tube from an intrauterine approach. With the Essure procedure, there is an almost zero risk of getting pregnant if proper placement of the coils is confirmed by xray 12 weeks after the coils are placed.

With Adiana, another procedure done via the intrauterine route but slightly different from the Essure, the rate is 1.6% at three years.

Since pregnancies after tubal sterilization can get stuck and grow in the tube (ectopic pregnancy), any woman who has had a tubal sterilization and has a missed period or symptoms of pregnancy should have a pregnancy test done and, if it is positive, testing to rule out an ectopic.
So in the late 80's which of the above procedures might have been performed ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 12:39 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I had my tubes tied 5 yrs ago and to this day if I am ovulating I make my husband wear a condom, and will continue to do until I reach menopause.

What was the point of the tubal then if you have so little faith in it?

Old 10-04-2010, 02:35 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
So in the late 80's which of the above procedures might have been performed ?
If it was done right after delivery or at the time of Cesarean, most likely the procedure was done by the Pomeroy method: a "knuckle" of tube is formed by grasping the tube with a clamp, the tube is kinked much like you would a garden hose when you want to move a lawn sprinkler, a couple of sutures are tied around the kinked portion of the tube, and about one inch of the tube is removed The suture chosen is one that dissolves quickly, allowing the cut ends of the tube to separate. The result is a gap in the tube at its midportion.

The other common method was done with the laparaoscope. A telescope is inserted through the navel, the tube is picked up with a long forceps inserted through the scope, and the tube cauterized, or burned with an electric current. This effectively melts the protein in the tube and seals it.

The ring and clips were available, but much less commonly used.

If you haven't gotten pregnant in 20 years, the risk is small. If you are curious enough, you should be able to get your records from your doctor or the facility where the procedure was done.

Essure and Adiana are gaining popularity because the insertion is an outpatient (in the doctor's office) procedure that only takes about 35 minutes.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:41 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,277,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
What was the point of the tubal then if you have so little faith in it?
I had other health issues and could no longer take birth control pills, why would you question this? I no longer wanted any kids and if I could've I would have had my uterus removed. I was also told that sometimes between 5 and 10 yrs there can be a chance of failure, so since I have absolutely no desire to procreate anymore but every desire to have sex, this is what I do, works well for me.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
I know a woman who got pregnant after having had a tubal ligation. It does happen.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I had other health issues and could no longer take birth control pills, why would you question this? I no longer wanted any kids and if I could've I would have had my uterus removed. I was also told that sometimes between 5 and 10 yrs there can be a chance of failure, so since I have absolutely no desire to procreate anymore but every desire to have sex, this is what I do, works well for me.

Well it just seems like you don't trust the tubal and I was wondering why. I don't want anymore children either. I wasn't trying to be rude I was just wondering why you would have chosen this method if you feel you can't rely on it. My OB told me I don't have to use any other method of birth control since my tubes are tied.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Well it just seems like you don't trust the tubal and I was wondering why. I don't want anymore children either. I wasn't trying to be rude I was just wondering why you would have chosen this method if you feel you can't rely on it. My OB told me I don't have to use any other method of birth control since my tubes are tied.

Some people like a belt, some like suspenders, and some like both!

I have heard of couples where she has had her tubes tied, and so has he! Vasectomy failure rate is about 1%, by the way.

Edited to add, half the vasectomy failures occur in the first three months after the procedure. Vasectomy is NOT immediately effective. Any man who has it done needs to be tested to make sure it is safe before having unprotected sex.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,277,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010;16142730[B
]Some people like a belt, some like suspenders, and some like both![/b]

I have heard of couples where she has had her tubes tied, and so has he! Vasectomy failure rate is about 1%, by the way.

Edited to add, half the vasectomy failures occur in the first three months after the procedure. Vasectomy is NOT immediately effective. Any man who has it done needs to be tested to make sure it is safe before having unprotected sex.
Thank you, I am a belt and suspenders sort of girl. My motto is better to be safe than sorry. I didn't however make my hubby have a vasectomy.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:30 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,638 times
I considered having my husband get a vasectomy too, my body just can't take another pregnancy.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:27 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,353 times
LOL I am glad I am not the only one who thinks doubling up on the sterilization would be a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy