Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 08:15 AM

17,362 posts, read 16,498,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith1976 View Post
I just turned 36 years old. I have twin 16 year olds and a 7 year old. 7 years ago I got my tubes tied. I went to the Doc today because I am having severe cramping and am 2 weeks late on my period. They informed me I was pregnant!! They knew I had a tubal ligation so they did 3 tests. I am for sure pregnant. 1.4% of women have the risk of getting pregnant. 1.4!!!
I'm around a decade older than you are and I got my tubes tied about a decade ago. I'm not menopausal yet, but I'll bet that the odds of me conceiving now at this age are much, much lower than 1.4%.

Maybe the odds are higher for younger women but decrease as you get older?

At any rate, best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 22,617 times
I got pregnant 6 years after my tubal. It turned out to be an ectopic but now I'm confused if I can continue getting pregnant. One doctor says no; however, another wanted to remove my tubes to avoid this reoccurring. I'm so confused and exhausted.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
I had my tubes cut and tied in 1979, two years after the birth of a child. I was 24 years old at the time. It held and I had no idea the odds were so high that it might not. I guess I have a guardian angel that stays on her toes! I like surprises as much as the next girl but...............

Old 10-30-2012, 05:53 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstressedmrshilton View Post
I got pregnant 6 years after my tubal. It turned out to be an ectopic but now I'm confused if I can continue getting pregnant. One doctor says no; however, another wanted to remove my tubes to avoid this reoccurring. I'm so confused and exhausted.
How was the ectopic treated? If it was treated medically, you might be at risk to get pregnant again --- and another ectopic.

You have your choice of removing the tubes, using another method of birth control (vasectomy for partner an option?), or doing nothing and accepting the risk of another pregnancy.

You could ask if the Essure procedure is an option for you. It may not be depending on how the original tubal sterilization was done.

Essure Home Page

Old 11-02-2012, 07:05 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Congratulations!! I've had a tubal myself and I cannot even imagine how you must feel, especially with your personal circumstances.

Look into the Brewer Pregnancy Diet to at least try to help with your pre-eclampsia. My midwife really advocated that moms use this diet. Doctors aren't informed about "simple" things such as the way moms eat, unfortunately.

This is the website: BlueRibbonBaby.org » Home
The Brewer Diet is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of protein balance. It is quack science.

Doctors do get scanty instruction on nutrition, but that does not magically make garbage science worth a damn.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Tubal sterilizations can fail even when properly performed. Every woman who has one done is informed about the risk of failure when she signs the consent form for the procedure. Anyone who is not willing to accept the risk of failure should not have it done. To prove malpractice, you would have to show that the procedure was not done properly.
That is so not true. My doctor actually told me that I would never get pregnant again & this was permanent. Now almost 6 years later I sit here being treated for an ectopic pregnancy.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How was the ectopic treated? If it was treated medically, you might be at risk to get pregnant again --- and another ectopic.

You have your choice of removing the tubes, using another method of birth control (vasectomy for partner an option?), or doing nothing and accepting the risk of another pregnancy.

You could ask if the Essure procedure is an option for you. It may not be depending on how the original tubal sterilization was done.

Essure Home Page
My ectopic was treated with two rounds of methotrexate injections. I have asked my doctor about birth control options but she swears this will never happen again. Why and what would stop it from occurring puzzles me. I definitely do not EVER want to experience another ectopic, far to stressful for my pleasure. It seems as if the doctor is uninterested since I declined having my tubes removed. I'm just not one who's big on surgeries if its not life or death. Sad & stressed in so many ways. Also, my tubal ligation was a bipolar burn & cut, approximately a month after the birth of my son.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
That is so not true. My doctor actually told me that I would never get pregnant again & this was permanent. Now almost 6 years later I sit here being treated for an ectopic pregnancy.
I suspect you signed a written consent form for the procedure. Did you read it? Do you have a copy of it?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
My ectopic was treated with two rounds of methotrexate injections. I have asked my doctor about birth control options but she swears this will never happen again. Why and what would stop it from occurring puzzles me. I definitely do not EVER want to experience another ectopic, far to stressful for my pleasure. It seems as if the doctor is uninterested since I declined having my tubes removed. I'm just not one who's big on surgeries if its not life or death. Sad & stressed in so many ways. Also, my tubal ligation was a bipolar burn & cut, approximately a month after the birth of my son.
It could happen again. The risk is probably low. It's up to you to decide whether you feel that risk is high enough that you want to use another method of birth control.

You could always get a second opinion.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 7,384 times
i am 40 and i had a pomeroy tubal ligation 10 years ago; I wish i am in that 1.3% of women that get pregnant without a reversal; it is so espensive and you dont have 100% garanty of getting pregnant after the procedure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy