Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:29 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,748,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Why did people even start saying they got the tubes tied? I didn't know what they did in the 70's/80's. Just that a woman I know had an etopic pregnancy.

I got my procedure done when I was 25 and now I am 38. As long as they stay stapled, burned, clipped or whatever they did--I'm happy.

As far as the cramps go. I had severe cramps from time to time before I started on the pill. Then I got pregnant did go back to the pill then Depro and another pregnancy after the shot wore off. I can only remember that my cramps have been crappy since the tubal. So if my cycle isn't re established after 13 years then I got some plumming issues.

Now back to the pill.
I have always heard the term " I got my tubes tied ".

I don't think I have heard too many other terms used....

I would definately agree that most women when asking for a tubal ligation are done with having kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 02:32 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Thank you! No, I am not a nurse.

Late 80's tubals were mostly the coagulation method. Clips and the Falope ring were available, but less commonly used.
Thank you for your insightful answers.

I would say that most of us who had a tubal might not know the mechanics of it but we SURE want it to work !

Old 10-06-2010, 02:49 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There was an article a few years back in one of the national women's magazines about a family who had two kids. The woman had a tubal ligation, and got pregnant a couple of years later. After baby 3 was born, her husband got a vasectomy. NUMBER 4 came along a couple of years after that.
Now that is crazy! Beside castration and a hysterectomy what more could this couple have done?!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:50 AM

884 posts, read 2,641,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Did you ever have any regrets getting it done so young? I had a friend that was that age and her doctor wouldn't consider doing a tubal on her at that age. With the pill at least you know when your period will come and if you needed to you could actually skip one.

No regrets EVER!. There were hospitals in my area that would not do the operation on younger women. My husband had to sign a consent form as well. I have never looked at a baby and thought "oh hun lets have another baby!".

I'm only on the pill now to lessen my cramps.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 25,314 times
Lovely. Had clamps put on 26 years ago, this month. 4 years ago, a gen surgeon removed them during an abdomnial exploritory...and, I /might/ be pregnant as I type this out. My body is Not happy. Going through my second "period' of the month. much lighter, way more pain than the first time round. have had all basic symptoms of early pregnancy...nausea, bloating, fatigue, ext. Thought it was food poisoning. My body does not want this pregnancy. not at all. Have had 4 failures before having a living child, my son.I know what's happening. I just don't believe it. The others never made it passed 1st trimester. This is not supposed to happen. I'm 46. Now what?!

Old 12-23-2010, 11:08 AM

37,100 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaA1 View Post
Lovely. Had clamps put on 26 years ago, this month. 4 years ago, a gen surgeon removed them during an abdomnial exploritory...and, I /might/ be pregnant as I type this out. My body is Not happy. Going through my second "period' of the month. much lighter, way more pain than the first time round. have had all basic symptoms of early pregnancy...nausea, bloating, fatigue, ext. Thought it was food poisoning. My body does not want this pregnancy. not at all. Have had 4 failures before having a living child, my son.I know what's happening. I just don't believe it. The others never made it passed 1st trimester. This is not supposed to happen. I'm 46. Now what?!
Have you done a pregnancy test? I would hate to blame your symptoms on an assumed pregnancy if they are due to something else. At age 46, irregular periods may have more to do with skipped ovulations than with pregnancy.

Just removing the tubal clips at this point probably would not have opened the tubes back up.

Why did the general surgeon remove them?

Old 12-23-2010, 08:18 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There was an article a few years back in one of the national women's magazines about a family who had two kids. The woman had a tubal ligation, and got pregnant a couple of years later. After baby 3 was born, her husband got a vasectomy. NUMBER 4 came along a couple of years after that.

This would qualify for me to say "JUST SHOOT ME!!!" Geez.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:04 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
Yes, happened to a friend of mine. A year later she wasn't feeling well. She is a diabetic so she thought maybe something was off with her sugar. The doctor ran a pregnancy test to make sure. Everyone was pretty shocked when it came back positive. My friend was pretty upset to be honest. The doctor that performed the procedure had left the state so there really wasn't anyone to complain to. I do not know what method was done. Anyway, her marriage was on the rocks to being with and the surprise baby added a lot of stress. She was pretty unhappy until they found out they were having a boy. They had 2 girls already. So she decided that it must have been meant to be. She is happy now and raves about her children. I think the timing was probably not good but it all worked out.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 AM

3 posts, read 25,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Have you done a pregnancy test? I would hate to blame your symptoms on an assumed pregnancy if they are due to something else. At age 46, irregular periods may have more to do with skipped ovulations than with pregnancy.

Just removing the tubal clips at this point probably would not have opened the tubes back up.

Why did the general surgeon remove them?
The gen. surgeon did a few things he didn't need to do. Removing an organ that was perfectly healthy was one. He said that he was "in the area" and figured it would be alright for me to "live without it." Apparently, he also didn't believe in perminent birth control either. Well, as for an update: It all came out. Mostly in one peice. My waist immediately shrunk about an inch or two and I lost about five pounds. Body has set itself back to rights. Much better now.

As for getting pregnant at 46, it is very possible within my family. My Grandmother continued to be more than fertile straight into her 60's. Did not even begin menopause untiil age 63.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 AM

37,100 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaA1 View Post
The gen. surgeon did a few things he didn't need to do. Removing an organ that was perfectly healthy was one. He said that he was "in the area" and figured it would be alright for me to "live without it." Apparently, he also didn't believe in perminent birth control either. Well, as for an update: It all came out. Mostly in one peice. My waist immediately shrunk about an inch or two and I lost about five pounds. Body has set itself back to rights. Much better now.

As for getting pregnant at 46, it is very possible within my family. My Grandmother continued to be more than fertile straight into her 60's. Did not even begin menopause untiil age 63.

Sorry, but what "all came out"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy