Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 04:39 PM

29 posts, read 54,063 times

Advertisements

My California Kid doesn't eat gluten, dairy or use sugar. Unfortunately, almost all my recipes require cheese. I love cheese. So I have to get creative when they come to visit. This recipe was a real hit with them and I hope you'll like it too Don't you just love the convenience of using a crockpot?

Crockpot Spanish Rice

2 lb. lean ground chick
2 medium onions, chopped (I used 1 pretty big one)
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cans (14-1/2 oz. ea.) tomatoes
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 c. water
2-1/2 tsp. chili powder
2-1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 c. rice, uncooked and NOT Minute Rice

Brown beef in skillet and drain off fat. Put all the ingredients in Crockpot and stir thoroughlyly. Cover and cook on low 6 hours or on Hi 3 hours. Note: My recipe says 6-8 hours but the rice is cooked way before that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 09:08 PM

29 posts, read 54,063 times
This recipe is so good. I wish I could remember where I found it. One daughter is gluten-free, dairy free and sugar free. I made this when they came to visit and it was a big hit. Warning: it makes a lot so be prepared to freeze unless you have a large family. My granddaughter even warmed some up in the microwave for breakfast!!

Crockpot Spanish Rice

2 lb. lean ground chuck
2 med. onions, chopped (I use one)
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) tomatoes (I use diced)
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 c. water
2-1/2 tsp. chili powder
2-1/2 tsp. salt (I use 2)
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 c. rice (not minute rice), uncooked

Brown beef in a skillet; drain off fat. Put all ingredients in crockpot. Stir thoroughly. Cover and cook on LO 6-8 hours or HI 3 hours. I've found that it only takes about 5 hours in my crockpot for the rice to be cooked well.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:36 PM

20,956 posts, read 28,491,085 times
I make corned beef, cabbage and potatoes in the crock pot too. There is a recipe on here for it.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:02 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,860,430 times
Crock-Pot Lasagna....you don't even have to cook the noodles first!

Ingredients

1 lb. ground beef

29 oz can tomato sauce

8 oz pkg. lasagna noodles, uncooked

4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1 1/2 cups cottage cheese

Directions

1. Spray the inside of the crock-pot with cooking spray

2. Brown the ground beef

3. Stir the tomato sauce in with the ground beef

4. Spread 1/4 of the meat sauce on the bottom of the crock-pot

5. Arrange 1/3 of the uncooked noodles over the sauce (I usually break them up so they fit better)

6. Combine the cheeses in a bowl. Spoon 1/3 of the cheeses over the noodles.

7. Repeat these layers twice

8. Top with remaining sauce

9. Cover and cook on low for 4hrs

10. Let the lasagna stand in the crock-pot with the lid off for at least 10 minutes

* Variations *

1. Add chopped onion and garlic to the ground beef in step 2

2. Use Italian sausage in place of ground beef or with ground beef/half and half.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
My question is, what do you want to be able to fix in the crockpot? The possibilities (as borne out by Pinterest) are fairly vast.

Pinterest is an AWESOME website but so is City-Data!

Old 03-17-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
I use those all the time, makes for super easy clean up and less damage to the ceramic pot.

I just use the no-stick cooking spray.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 PM

DanielChang
Quote:
I have heard that you can use the crockpot to make a roast and to make chicken. I have never seen this done. I think it's a myth.
LOL Here you go~

Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
Author: Melissa @ No. 2 Pencil
Recipe type: Slow Cooker
Cuisine: American
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 4 hours
Total time: 4 hours 5 mins

Serves: 4

Easy and delicious Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken.
Ingredients

3 large bone-in, skin on chicken breasts about 6 pounds
2 tablespoons of all-pupose steak seasoning
3 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 cup of BBQ sauce

Instructions

Create 3-4 large foil balls to fit in the bottom of slow cooker.
Remove skin from chicken breast, and season each with steak seasoning and brown sugar.
Arrange chicken breasts on top of foil ball, and pour BBQ sauce over.
Cook on high for about 4 hours, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees. It’s important to use a meat thermometer as cooking times will vary!
Chicken breasts can be served whole with juices from slow cooker poured over, or shred chicken and pour the slow cooker juices back over.

Slow Cooker whole Chicken

Ingredients

1 whole chicken around 5 pounds, insides removed and washed and patted dry

1 tablespoon of paprika – more or less to taste

3 Tablespoons of steak seasoning – more or less to taste

Salt and Pepper

Directions

Season chicken, inside and out. Cook in slow cooker lined with foil balls on high for 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees.

Recipe notes:

I like to use the juices at the bottom of the slow cooker to baste the chicken while it is resting, just to add even more flavor.

Though the skin is flavorful, it doesn’t really get super crispy with this cooking method.

I use a 5 quart slow cooker, and my chicken fits perfectly.

Resist opening the lid to check progress, slow cookers take a long time to come back up to temperature and cooking time will need to be extended.

Slow Cooker Chicken - easy and delicious!

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Author: Melissa @ No. 2 Pencil
Recipe type: Soup
Cuisine: American
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins

Serves: 6

Ingredients

2 tablespoons of butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 large carrot, diced
2 tablespoons of flour
6 cups of chicken stock – plus additional to thin if soup is very thick
4 cups of frozen shredded potatoes, used for hash browns
4 cups of cooked, diced or shredded chicken
½ cup of heavy cream
1 cup of frozen peas
Frozen pie shells

Instructions

Directions
Bake pie shells according to package instructions, once cooled break into bite size pieces to sprinkle on top of soup.
In a large stock pot, melt butter and cook onions, carrots and celery over medium heat until softened.
Sprinkle in flour and cook about one minute more.
Add chicken stock and increase heat to medium high.
Once chicken stock begins to simmer, add hash browns and let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes begin to breakdown and thicken soup.
Add chicken and let simmer until heated through, then add heavy cream and frozen peas and let simmer about 5 more minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste, and adjust consistency of soup with additional chicken stock if needed.
Sprinkle with flat leaf parsley and serve with pie shell pieces.

Chicken Parmesan Recipe for Slow-Cooker

Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Recipe~Six Sisters Stuff.com
(Recipe from A Year of Slow Cooking)

2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 Tbl. olive oil
1 egg, beaten
sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese
favorite jarred marinara sauce (23-28 oz.)

Spread the olive oil into the bottom of your crockpot stoneware insert. Beat the egg with a fork in a separate bowl. Mix the bread crumbs with the seasonings and the Parmesan cheese in another separate dish. Dip the chicken into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture, coating both sides with crumbs, cheese and seasonings. Place the chicken breast pieces in the bottom of the crockpot. Layer 2-3 slices or 1-2 cups of mozzarella cheese on top, depending on how much cheese you like. Cover chicken and cheese with entire jar of marinara sauce. Close lid and cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3. Serve with your favorite pasta.

Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken~Six Sisters Stuff.com
Ingredients:
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thigh tenders or chicken breast tenders*

1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup cashews

Directions:
Combine flour and pepper in large Ziploc bag. Add chicken. Shake to coat with flour mixture. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken about 2 minutes on each side. Place chicken in slow cooker. Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes in small bowl; pour over chicken. Cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours. Add cashews and stir. Serve over rice. Makes 4-6 servings.
If you want like sauce and want to have some to pour over the chicken and the rice, double the sauce ingredients.

Slow Cooker Swiss Chicken Recipe~ Six Sisters Stuff.com
(Serves 6)
Ingredients:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
6 slices Swiss cheese
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup milk
1 package herb stuffing mix
1/4 cup butter, melted
Directions:
Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover chicken with slices of Swiss cheese. In a small bowl, combine cream of chicken soup and milk and pour over chicken and cheese. Sprinkle stuffing mix on top and drizzle butter over the top. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:39 PM

802 posts, read 644,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Not a recipe but I happened to find disposable crock pot liners a few months ago, haven't used one yet but they seem to fit the usual oval pots that I'm sure we all use , must save a lot of clean up too.
I just discovered them, too. Husband LOVES them (he does all the clean up)!

Old 03-17-2014, 01:54 PM

802 posts, read 644,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyma17 View Post
Here's a really easy recipe:
Put a whole turkey breast in a crock pot (a full turkey also works, just make sure it's small enough to fit in the crock pot).
Cut up/slice 1 onion and place around turkey. Add 2 teaspoons minced garlic ( we love garlic, so I usually put a bit more). Then put in a small amount of water, about 1/2 cup, just to cover the bottom. Cook on low 8-10 hours (depends on size) and enjoy!!!
Do you get a crispy skin in the crock pot? That's the best part of the turkey, to me. LOL

Old 03-17-2014, 04:57 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,452,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
Do you get a crispy skin in the crock pot? That's the best part of the turkey, to me. LOL
No poultry skin ever gets crispy in the crock pot.

Some people remove the finished product from the crockpot and stick it under the broiler for a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes