Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:33 PM

22,387 posts, read 29,512,450 times

Advertisements

I make bbq pulled pork in it. YUM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 04:19 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,905,150 times
I posted this in the Recipe forum - it's pretty tasty...

Braised Short Ribs in crockpot

Three-four pounds of short ribs
Three cups red wine
Two cups chicken stock (only use beef stock if you make it yourself or you find a brand you like)
Two medium yellow onions (chopped)
Four cloves garlic (minced)
Three ribs of celery
Three medium carrots
Several sprigs of FRESH thyme (don't use that dried stuff - it tastes like diesel fuel)
Two bay leaves
One pound sliced mushrooms
Two tablespoons tomato paste
Two tablespoons flour
Some cooking oil
Salt/pepper to taste

Some of you may like to add some oregano and/or rosemary (I add a bit of each when I do this recipe with chicken).

Brown the short ribs in hot oil then place ribs in crock pot.
Saute the chopped onions, sliced carrots, garlic, and sliced celery in the pan you browned the ribs and cook until the onions are tender.
Add flour and tomato paste to the vegetable mix and stir to incorporate.
Add some of the wine to the vegetable mix to deglaze the pan.
Pour the vegetable mix over the ribs in the crockpot.
Add the remaining wine and chicken stock to the crockpot.
Add thyme and bay leaves to the crockpot.
Brown the mushroom slices in hot oil then add them to the crockpot.
Set the crockpot on low and cook for 6-8 hours.

You're going to love the aroma of this stuff cooking - you can also substitute other cuts of beef that benefit from low-and-slow cooking (it's even great with chicken leg quarters).

Serve the ribs and gravy in a bowl, over boiled new potatoes that have been crushed in the bowl with a fork - and don't forget some crusty bread.

I don't measure when I cook, but I think the amounts are pretty close to how I cook this.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 10-24-2014 at 04:34 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 05:21 PM

675 posts, read 646,729 times
A few nights ago, I threw in chicken, peas, corn, onions, cabbage, and at the end rice. Seasonings were Worcestershire, Kosher salt, seasoning salt, cumin, and chili powder. Two problems: I used Minute rice, and the seasonings were somehow not enough. Kind of bland and mushy.

Next think I want to try is a Utah and/or Mormon specialty: funeral potatoes.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:33 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,315,034 times
I have a good sweet and sour chicken mole recipe handed down from my grandmother on the texas side:

- 1 can cherry coke
- 1 entire chicken, shredded
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup creamy JIF peanut butter
- 1 hersheys milk chocolate bar
- 1 small can of jalapeño peppers (juice and all)
- 6 dried guajillo peppers
- 4 dried ancho peppers
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup smuckers grape jelly

Old 09-21-2016, 09:12 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,175,303 times
Default 100 straight days of using the slow cooker-

I wish she had listed all 100 recipes but there are plenty of sites to get slow cooker recipes. i like what she says about frozen meats. I thought this might be of interest to those of us who like to use our slow cookers frequently.

15 things I learned while using my crockpot for 100 days straight | Clark Howard

Old 09-21-2016, 09:24 AM

997 posts, read 939,906 times
I did that once. Not for 100 straight days but for a period of time I could or would only eat food made in the slow cooker. This probably lasted for a couple of months. There are a lot of things that can be made in the slow cooker that you would not expect and mostly they turn out really well. Casseroles for instance, and you can make cakes, though I never did that. There was a lot of variety because there is a way to adapt just about anything.

I thought it was an amazing and ingenious invention.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:48 AM

23,604 posts, read 24,145,795 times
Thanks for posting!

It's close to fall, so we will use ours a lot to prepare hearty stews and soups!

Old 09-21-2016, 03:17 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,777,068 times
Thanks for posting. Her Mongolian Beef recipe looks good. It's on my list to try.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Thanks for posting: what an interesting read, but I think I prefer a variety, not using the same method for days on end. I love my slow cooker, love soups made in it, some meats cooked in it and have found a few other uses. Yes, more in winter than summer, but once a week is about it for me.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:57 AM

18,951 posts, read 11,613,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Thanks for posting. Her Mongolian Beef recipe looks good. It's on my list to try.
Used to be a site called crock pot 365. She did this for a year and then had TV deals and a book and all. That Mongolian was pretty good - I tried the 365 one. She listed all her recipes. Most were savory foods but she did some desserts and a few craft experiments when she just couldn't face more crockpot food lol. I'm pretty sure I linked to her old site years ago on a thread here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes