Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:44 PM

789 posts, read 640,372 times

Advertisements

There is a tunnel that connect Christus Santa Rosa to the Tower Verde Next door...kinda creepy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 01:42 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywoman View Post
There is a tunnel that connect Christus Santa Rosa to the Tower Verde Next door...kinda creepy..
What is creepy about it?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,972 times
I've heard rumors about a tunnel from N E Baptist to a mortuary across 410.
A retired airforce gentleman (44'-84' in SA) i met while doing some laundry volunteered some info about caves that lead from the alamodome area to naturalbridge caverns.
Also, there has to be one that i've been conspiracy theorizng about, beneath Salado Creek from Camp Bullis to Fort Sam Houston. It would take some masterfull planning and why else would the gov. purchase the land that Salado is on.... some kind of jogging trail that connects the bases or something.
And what happened to fort stanley? Were we just supposed to forget it was there? Just pull it off the map and maybe no one will ask about it, right? I want to know if anyone else thinks theres something major going on beneath our feet or if i should just move in with the crazy guy that wants to builld an underground city if its not already there.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:10 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSzary View Post
I've heard rumors about a tunnel from N E Baptist to a mortuary across 410.
A retired airforce gentleman (44'-84' in SA) i met while doing some laundry volunteered some info about caves that lead from the alamodome area to naturalbridge caverns.
Also, there has to be one that i've been conspiracy theorizng about, beneath Salado Creek from Camp Bullis to Fort Sam Houston. It would take some masterfull planning and why else would the gov. purchase the land that Salado is on.... some kind of jogging trail that connects the bases or something.
And what happened to fort stanley? Were we just supposed to forget it was there? Just pull it off the map and maybe no one will ask about it, right? I want to know if anyone else thinks theres something major going on beneath our feet or if i should just move in with the crazy guy that wants to builld an underground city if its not already there.
Probably top secret government work is taking place. If they are not building a different world with lab animals living there already, they are just probably building tunnels to be able to go in and out of other countries without being noticed.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:12 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
Hey, be quiet about the tunnels. It took enough negotiating with the Illuminati to get the Lizard People to clear out of there.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 6,752 times
Yes there were tunnels under the San Antonio state hospital my x-husband & I worked at the hospital back in 1967 if you walked around on the grounds you could see the window tops. They use to put Patients that were out of control and hose them down with water hoses back in the 1800's.That was years ,& years before medications came out to help control them.My x use to play in the tunnels when he was a child at least that is what he told me.
Its a shame some dumb person passed the laws that patients do not have to take medications if they did not want too.If that law was not passed there would not be homeless mental patients in every city in the USA. When I work at the hospital the patients had to take their medications although some times some would be out of control anyway.The patients had a canteen,dances, for the ones that were not too bad off.It a really interesting place to work I could kick myself was offered to go to school to become an RN did not do it was young and dumb.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:29 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,324 times
Default Yes there are tunnels,

There are drain tunnels underneath San Antonio large enough to drive a car through to handle the flooding which San Antonio is very prone to. One very large one underneath downtown. It is deep down I cannot remember how deep exactly but I want to say over one hundred feet and was excavated through blue oyster shale during the mid-eighties with a tunnel boring machine.
Before the shallower box culverts were installed around town local city streets would flood and become impassable very frequently. Caliche is a difficult dig but not so bad, it is like chalk but it can be very a dense material. San Antonio has had horrible floods, many rural areas have low water crossings that cause deaths annually when people try to go through water too deep for an automobile. The worst flood in the history of San Antonio was in 1921, downtown was under two feet of water and there were many deaths and some homelessness as entire homes were washed away. The Balcones Excarpment including San Antonio is called flash flood alley by the govt. agency that monitors flooding in the U.S. and- the most rapid rainfall the record for most rapid rainfall is held by D'Hanis texas, a record 22 inches of rain fell in two hours and forty five minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maluminse View Post
Chicago has massive underground tunnels most now abandoned but were used for various reasons over the years.

Has anyone ever heard of tunnels or underground passages in SA? I know that there is one from the Armory (heb) to Butts house.

I know there is a lot of drainage framework.

Im guessing our calichi base makes it difficult....

Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
There are drain tunnels underneath San Antonio large enough to drive a car through to handle the flooding which San Antonio is very prone to. One very large one underneath downtown. It is deep down I cannot remember how deep exactly but I want to say over one hundred feet and was excavated through blue oyster shale during the mid-eighties with a tunnel boring machine.
Lots of info on both the SA River and San Pedro Creek tunnels here:
San Antonio River Authority

Old 11-21-2010, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 6,590 times
back in the 70's i had a paper route in a retirement home that is a highrise building on fair ave close to s. new braunfels ave anyway there is or was a large drainage tunnel that runs to the San Antonio river by river side golf course. Large enough to stand straigt up in, i give it a 6 on the safety scale as long as its not raining ......also no flares lots of gas leaks......and if rochets (water bugs)arn't your thing then take a broom with you.....oh chain link fence was around it in 1972

Old 11-21-2010, 07:19 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guywithkeys View Post
back in the 70's i had a paper route in a retirement home that is a highrise building on fair ave close to s. new braunfels ave anyway there is or was a large drainage tunnel that runs to the San Antonio river by river side golf course. Large enough to stand straigt up in, i give it a 6 on the safety scale as long as its not raining ......also no flares lots of gas leaks......and if rochets (water bugs)arn't your thing then take a broom with you.....oh chain link fence was around it in 1972
Ya, me and a few friends in middle school explored it in the late 80's, it begins right behind the old folks home a few feet from Nopal St and leads all the way to South Presa, not far from the old Mission Drive-in theater.

We took in torches we made ourselves, they quickly died out, no flash lights. That was probably all good and well since you can smell gas strongly in some areas, then as we kept walking using the feint light pouring in from gutters, dark spots in between, we could hear voices from people on the street level and remained as quiet as possible so no one would know we were down there and try and harm us in anyway.

Then the huge water bugs, ick, and then thunder....it was going to rain and we really began freaking out. Luckily it did not begin until we made it out and we were so happy and swore never to go back down there again.

My sister had a paper route there too and would have to walk down all the floors in the old folks home knocking on doors trying to collect. Met some very nice old ladies, one who knitted me a stuffed animal, I will never forget her kindness or that cat. Was one of my favorite stuffed animals as a very small child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio