Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 09:41 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
The ability to adapt is the most important survival skill. Multiple factors would dictate how the camp handles anyone without the ability to adapt. You can't know in advance what the circumstances will be so you are wasting time resources on this.
We have a saying a home - "You can only do, what you can only do." I don't know if it's a Brooklyn or an old Italian or Jewish saying, but we say it all the time. It means you can literally only do - what is possible for you to do.

It's hard to plan on your own. When you have a group, you'll feel more secure I think finding local preppers to talk would be helpful for the OP.

A ham radio club would be very helpful. You'll find out about events early and have a serious plan for communication in a disaster. You would also be with like minded people. The training manual and licensing is fairly inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 11:21 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
We have a saying a home - "You can only do, what you can only do." I don't know if it's a Brooklyn or an old Italian or Jewish saying, but we say it all the time. It means you can literally only do - what is possible for you to do.

It's hard to plan on your own. When you have a group, you'll feel more secure I think finding local preppers to talk would be helpful for the OP.

A ham radio club would be very helpful. You'll find out about events early and have a serious plan for communication in a disaster. You would also be with like minded people. The training manual and licensing is fairly inexpensive.
As far as it goes, ham radio wise that is. I rather think electrical power might be a little rare in the times we are looking at. Now, if it is running off solar batteries of a type, maybe. As it is, I do have SW radios for receiving and a number CB radios around, because, after all, one is always one cell away from being without modern communications.

I've been increasing my survival library and have been a little dismayed at the price for books I am seeing.....but for these situations that we hope never happen, books on paper is the way to go.

Finally, in this modern world, the job I have requires one to be pessimistic to a degree. That is, I am in charge in keeping an essential facility up and operational and I have to approach it with the line of thought of what could take it out and then figuring out how to solve that problem so if it does happen. Of course there are limits.....but that way of thinking in this comfortable world is how I pay my bills, put food on the table.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:12 PM

455 posts, read 306,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As far as it goes, ham radio wise that is. I rather think electrical power might be a little rare in the times we are looking at. Now, if it is running off solar batteries of a type, maybe. As it is, I do have SW radios for receiving and a number CB radios around, because, after all, one is always one cell away from being without modern communications.

I've been increasing my survival library and have been a little dismayed at the price for books I am seeing.....but for these situations that we hope never happen, books on paper is the way to go.

Finally, in this modern world, the job I have requires one to be pessimistic to a degree. That is, I am in charge in keeping an essential facility up and operational and I have to approach it with the line of thought of what could take it out and then figuring out how to solve that problem so if it does happen. Of course there are limits.....but that way of thinking in this comfortable world is how I pay my bills, put food on the table.
Check out Thrift Books for reasonable prices on books. I've bought some for as little as $3.00.
Search by title, author or subject. They're used books, but mostly in good or very good condition. Good way to build your library on the cheap.

Old 06-04-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:

The public library has ham radio books. I second SilverBear's recommendation on Thrift Books.

The main point of a ham radio license you could join a real network of preppers. It would be a community for you.

Old 06-04-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
The public library has ham radio books.

The main point of a ham radio license you could join a real network of preppers. It would be community for you.
Well, in a way, I am part such of a committee.....with the Renaissance Festival world. Both people of the old ways who know how to build things and vendors into a lot of self repair because they have to make every dollar count. The catch is, of course, how do we all stay in touch with each other when the Net is down?

As it was, I wasn't buying books on radio but on plants as food.

Old 06-04-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Well, in a way, I am part such of a committee.....with the Renaissance Festival world. Both people of the old ways who know how to build things and vendors into a lot of self repair because they have to make every dollar count. The catch is, of course, how do we all stay in touch with each other when the Net is down?

As it was, I wasn't buying books on radio but on plants as food.
Renaissance Festival world sounds like a great community! Are they also preppers? I imagine some are preppers and others just like fun historical stuff.

Great question about how to build a community based on interests and not location. I don't know.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
So it comes down to an argument about whether they're living in normal times or whether they're living in... what kind of time are you living in?
If one watched the 60s Lost in Space, they would see time after time where Dr. Smith used up critical supplies for himself. Such as he used the Carbon tetra, critical for their food preservation, to get a spot of his clothes, left the top off, and it evaporated (in a time of TV production before we knew how deadly the stuff is). Or all of their water supply for a shower because he could not go another day feeling icky. Or almost blowing up Major West because he threw away a fuel cell instead of carrying it to a location because he wasn't a beast of burden. Or failing to put up the force field poles because he was too lazy. Or the garden he was suppose to tend to died from neglect.

Of course, since it was a family show, he never suffered a convenient, unfortunate accident.

Are there really people like that? I don't know but we do see in modern drama those who plug their devices of entertainment into emergency battery/generator circuits or even worst, unplug something that is critical to plug in the trivial.

And while it is perhaps not as thoughtless as the above, in reality there has been a North Sea oil rig fire (an infamous one) where because the metal grate was hard on the feet of the divers that used it a rubber matting was put down, the dripping burning fuel did not fall harmlessly into the sea but pooled to worsen the disaster.

On ships, I've seen situations where people took the quick and easy way to tie towing hawsers together.....and situations of snap back https://www.workboat.com/viewpoints/...and-lost-limbs happening, fortunately without any injuries but just damages.

I imagine accident case histories are loaded with heads that thought in those ways, people in general, that didn't ask before they went off and changed something for their convenience.

So there's are A and B situation. A: How do you train them not to be a burden and B: keeping in mind that you might actually need them.

Old 06-04-2022, 08:22 PM

10,846 posts, read 4,525,381 times
Quote:
If one watched the 60s Lost in Space, they would see time after time where Dr. Smith used up critical supplies for himself. Such as he used the Carbon tetra, critical for their food preservation, to get a spot of his clothes, left the top off, and it evaporated (in a time of TV production before we knew how deadly the stuff is). Or all of their water supply for a shower because he could not go another day feeling icky. Or almost blowing up Major West because he threw away a fuel cell instead of carrying it to a location because he wasn't a beast of burden. Or failing to put up the force field poles because he was too lazy. Or the garden he was suppose to tend to died from neglect.

Of course, since it was a family show, he never suffered a convenient, unfortunate accident.

Are there really people like that? I don't know but we do see in modern drama those who plug their devices of entertainment into emergency battery/generator circuits or even worst, unplug something that is critical to plug in the trivial.

And while it is perhaps not as thoughtless as the above, in reality there has been a North Sea oil rig fire (an infamous one) where because the metal grate was hard on the feet of the divers that used it a rubber matting was put down, the dripping burning fuel did not fall harmlessly into the sea but pooled to worsen the disaster.

On ships, I've seen situations where people took the quick and easy way to tie towing hawsers together.....and situations of snap back https://www.workboat.com/viewpoints/...and-lost-limbs happening, fortunately without any injuries but just damages.

I imagine accident case histories are loaded with heads that thought in those ways, people in general, that didn't ask before they went off and changed something for their convenience.

So there's are A and B situation. A: How do you train them not to be a burden and B: keeping in mind that you might actually need them.

loved lost in space! Im old enuf to have seen them before syndication! do you remember the one where they were like taking root so to speak in this alien garden...the loopers from that on a LiS tribute show is hilarious.

Beware of pits of space fibers.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:32 PM

10,846 posts, read 4,525,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

Sorry to have to explain the simplest of things, but this is a forum dedicated to planning for problems that most people think are unlikely.
23 minutes ago, the next pay period started and for the next year at least, I am no longer doing what I have been doing for the last 10+ - planning for and executing 'tests' for problems that we thought were possible.

that aside, I asked and got no answer "what camp'? are we talking literally or figuratively. Im pretty confident this has to do with SHTF. so why the freshly waxed flying f*** would you be in a CAMP?

Old 06-05-2022, 10:37 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
what camp?

You are aware, right, that this is the Self-sufficiency and Preparedness forum? It's not the "take your relatives on vacation" or "how to grow tomatoes" forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
Nobody ever knows what the OP is talking about.

The same answer applies to this post. Take a guess. What do you think people are the most likely to be talking about on the Self-sufficiency and Preparedness forum? I don't have any problem with understanding what the OP is generally talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness