Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: IYO... Are we about to experience a SHTF event
NO 42 37.17%
YES 21 18.58%
Very soon, less then 3 months 7 6.19%
In 6 months or so 8 7.08%
It will happen shortly, but last less then a month 1 0.88%
It will happen but gradually 16 14.16%
By next year big time event 3 2.65%
Absolutely, I'm expecting a form of civil war 11 9.73%
It will be a slow burn towards depression 16 14.16%
Our government will suspend the constitution and declare Marshall law 7 6.19%
other... explain 9 7.96%
Only wacko's believe in SHTF, not the town in Texas 8 7.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 02:53 AM

9,242 posts, read 4,877,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But if the SHTF event never comes, couldn't that lead to hoarding?
I have no idea what would lead you to such a question.

Any form of "hoarding" is antithetical to the whole idea of prepping.

Perhaps you had an idea, and just used the wrong word for it?

Last edited by TRex2; 02-17-2023 at 03:03 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 03:15 AM

5,439 posts, read 3,649,445 times
hoarding is simply what the unprepared call it out of ignorance.

Old 02-17-2023, 07:38 AM

9,242 posts, read 4,877,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But if the SHTF event never comes, couldn't that lead to hoarding?
Another aspect of the equation, "SHTF event never comes" isn't a realistic thing. You seem to be pigeon holing the idea into a single possible type of SHTF event. A good prepper preps for SHTF "in general," even if he (or she) has some specific sort of event in mind.

For instance, I specifically ignored any specific pandemic preparedness measures before Covid-19, and yet, I was more prepared for it than 96% of the general population, because I prepped for any general problem. (Plus, I prepped to deal with the panic of the masses, not the event, itself.)

Speaking of pandemic preparedness, I think the following report shows that it is only a matter of time, before we get another one.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...why-they-arise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
hoarding is simply what the unprepared call it out of ignorance.
I understand that. So far, I haven't seen that sort of ignorance from "otterhere." (But then, I haven't looked for that kind of ignorance from him.) Until someone gives me reason not to, I usually give them benefit of the doubt. (A lot of them have given me good reason not to ... I keep a list. )

Old 02-17-2023, 08:51 AM

8,928 posts, read 4,660,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Another aspect of the equation, "SHTF event never comes" isn't a realistic thing. You seem to be pigeon holing the idea into a single possible type of SHTF event. A good prepper preps for SHTF "in general," even if he (or she) has some specific sort of event in mind.

For instance, I specifically ignored any specific pandemic preparedness measures before Covid-19, and yet, I was more prepared for it than 96% of the general population, because I prepped for any general problem. (Plus, I prepped to deal with the panic of the masses, not the event, itself.)

Speaking of pandemic preparedness, I think the following report shows that it is only a matter of time, before we get another one.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...why-they-arise

I understand that. So far, I haven't seen that sort of ignorance from "otterhere." (But then, I haven't looked for that kind of ignorance from him.) Until someone gives me reason not to, I usually give them benefit of the doubt. (A lot of them have given me good reason not to ... I keep a list. )
I'd ask you to substantiate the 96% number, but I know you can't, and that's part of your shared delusion.

Have a nice day.

Old 02-17-2023, 09:35 AM

5,439 posts, read 3,649,445 times
96%?? more like 99%, most people do nothing until the event is on top of them then they panic and rush to the shops, we've seen it time and time again.

Old 02-17-2023, 10:44 AM

15,031 posts, read 9,939,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I'd ask you to substantiate the 96% number, but I know you can't, and that's part of your shared delusion.

Have a nice day.
The delusion is... to believe the world around you is an inert place, with infinite resources that exist to come an aid you, in a time of crisis.

Have a prepared life

Old 02-17-2023, 10:48 AM

22,130 posts, read 13,287,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I have no idea what would lead you to such a question.

Any form of "hoarding" is antithetical to the whole idea of prepping.

Perhaps you had an idea, and just used the wrong word for it?
I simply meant that counseling newbies to "buy extra" every time they shop could lead to things piling up. At least instruct them to use things up as they go along and replenish rather than just storing and leaving it. That may seem like common sense, but is worth clarifying.

Old 02-17-2023, 11:14 AM

8,928 posts, read 4,660,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The delusion is... to believe the world around you is an inert place, with infinite resources that exist to come an aid you, in a time of crisis.

Have a prepared life
Gee, thanks for showing you just made up a number to make yourself feel better! But why 96%, why not 100% or 99.9%?? As long as you are pulling numbers out of your arse, why stop at 96%? Again, it is all a part of your delusions.

Have a good day.

Old 02-17-2023, 12:47 PM

4,951 posts, read 3,114,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
during Covid lockdowns here we were only allowed to go 1 mile from home.
Toilet Paper is the least of it.

What were the consequences of breaking this 1 mile radius?.

Old 02-17-2023, 02:51 PM

15,031 posts, read 9,939,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Gee, thanks for showing you just made up a number to make yourself feel better! But why 96%, why not 100% or 99.9%?? As long as you are pulling numbers out of your arse, why stop at 96%? Again, it is all a part of your delusions.

Have a good day.
What number? are you drunk? Do you see some number in my post?

Quote:

Have a prepared life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness