Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: IYO... Are we about to experience a SHTF event
NO 42 37.17%
YES 21 18.58%
Very soon, less then 3 months 7 6.19%
In 6 months or so 8 7.08%
It will happen shortly, but last less then a month 1 0.88%
It will happen but gradually 16 14.16%
By next year big time event 3 2.65%
Absolutely, I'm expecting a form of civil war 11 9.73%
It will be a slow burn towards depression 16 14.16%
Our government will suspend the constitution and declare Marshall law 7 6.19%
other... explain 9 7.96%
Only wacko's believe in SHTF, not the town in Texas 8 7.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 03:22 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
what a load of poppycock, the 2020's are the most UNsafe time since the end of WW2.
It doesn't take much of a search of his previous postings in the preparedness forum to see that he continually comes here to dismiss preppers and conservatives as a bunch of nut cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Preparation is useless as any SHTF scenario is not going to be short-lived. You may live longer than others if you have learned useful skills, but as far as preparation is concerned. In my opinion, it is useless.
And yet, here you are, wasting your time and ours, on "discussing" something that you consider useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 03:57 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,865,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
And yet, here you are, wasting your time and ours, on "discussing" something that you consider useless.
It is an opinion, just like yours is. We all 'waste our time' on our computers but we choose to do that. There are loads of more productive things we can do if we wanted to, so rather than posting on here we could be out mowing the lawn for example.

If you want to do mental exercises and imagine what SHTF scenarios there could be, thats fine. If you want to plan for disaster, thats fine too. It is just another hobby that people engage in, but, if you think it will save your life and allow you to survive until you die of old age after a SHTF event, then in my opinion, you are fantasizing.

When society breaks down there will probably not be many people who will survive for very long, particularly in a country where most people will be armed for a while after the event. After a while, when bullets are gone, it will be down to bows and arrows and hand-to-hand fighting. Thats if they survive the natural events and radiation spillage.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:57 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Some (maybe even most) of us read and post in here for a purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
It is an opinion, just like yours is. We all 'waste our time' on ...
Well, I can't stop you from wasting your time, but there is an "ignore" function on here that will certainly reduce the amount of my time you waste.

Old 08-16-2022, 07:48 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
what a load of poppycock, the 2020's are the most UNsafe time since the end of WW2.
While we still don't have a full decade to analyze, there really is nothing to support this notion.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:40 AM

461 posts, read 545,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I recently got my passport. Does that count?
Just one? An effective escape plan starts with dual citizenship IMO.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:57 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Just one? An effective escape plan starts with dual citizenship IMO.
Well, not everyone is eligible. I actually am, but haven't decided if it'd be worth the time and money to pursue.

Old 08-16-2022, 02:40 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times
My vote was "other" because life as I knew it has been profoundly changed since Covid 2020.
For me "ABOUT to experience" is already here and that is true for a majority of the US population.
How much each person's life has changed and whether it's been good/bad is personal.

Business standards have changed.
The way people interact socially has changed.
Financial security has changed.

SHTF does not have to be a physical bomb, with Covid it's been a mental bomb that doesn't have a clear "all is safe now--resume normal behavior" call.
It won't ever be the same again.
The same way the world was not the same again when the first atomic bomb was detonated.

SHTF is here.
There may be more SHTF to come, in different ways.
But we humans need to understand that future generations will look back at this time and say
"Wow, didn't they see what was happening?"

Old 08-16-2022, 03:03 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
It seems like we are always so close to a SHTF scenario but thankfully never get there. I have certainly thought that at various times since W was president. Not because of him (or any other president since then) but it seems we have been so divided as a country and each side of the political spectrum has become so polarized and extreme (not counting the time shortly after 9/11) and it only gets worse. I also wonder if some of this is due to the 24 hour news cycles and all of the extremist news sources around these days too. Maybe things aren't really as bad as CNN, Fox News, or some of the other sources make them out to be. It also doesn't help that any lunatic can get on the internet and spew out their beliefs that go along with what people want to hear and they in turn start believing it. I'm rambling a bit but who knows.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:12 PM

18,720 posts, read 7,599,790 times
I believe that we are NOT about to have a SHTF event.

I also believe I am NOT about to have a house fire. But I carry fire insurance and have a couple extinguishers around the house anyway.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:00 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,597,111 times
SHTF has already started, open your eyes, there is so much going on in both the US and UK, Europe and Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness